guitar for a beginner?

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

As much as I'd like an ESP so I can join the Metallica wannbe club...

I'd like something Mustang/Old School Tele sounding. Think early Stones.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

i think a lot of early stones stuff was done on gibsons. les pauls and es-335s. epiphone makes decent versions of both for great prices.
as far as fenders go, mim are generally pretty good, though i've never really been a fan of the standard series. the classic player series is fantastic.
squiers are also worth looking into. the vintage modified and classic vibe series are great.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

The Baja Telecaster is the jewel in the Classic Player Crown
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

bubbles_horwitz wrote:i think a lot of early stones stuff was done on gibsons. les pauls and es-335s. epiphone makes decent versions of both for great prices.
as far as fenders go, mim are generally pretty good, though i've never really been a fan of the standard series. the classic player series is fantastic.
squiers are also worth looking into. the vintage modified and classic vibe series are great.
My bad. "Early" was the wrong word. I meant Richard's basic Tele tone.

I have an MIM Jazz bass. I was fairly pleased with the quality, I did almost immediately swap the pickups for Nordstrands however. I have been strongly looking at the MIM Tele and the Epi Dot. Anyone played?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Get the Baja for a couple bucks more, you'll like it a lot more than an MIM Standard.
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

Mike wrote:Get the Baja for a couple bucks more, you'll like it a lot more than an MIM Standard.
It is twice as much new, but I understand what you mean. I didn't exactly fall in love with the MIM Strats I've played.

I'm not sure how well I can do 600-800 right now, but when the quality is that much better I suppose it's worth the wait. Going twice for the Epi Dot or LP?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

That's weird. In the UK it's £300 vs £389.
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

Mike wrote:That's weird. In the UK it's £300 vs £389.
Over here it's 799$ vs. 399$ for MIM.
Side note, Im on Zzounds.com, and the VM Strat does indeed look sweet.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

the classic '60s strat is incredible. if i were to buy a new production strat, it would be that one.
as for epiphones, the les pauls are great. i once did a side-by-side comparison of a gibson es-335 and an epiphone dot and, while the gibson did sound a little better, the epiphone played better.
head down to guitar center and play 'em all. see what you like.
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

The dots look nice, and Musician's Friend has a B-Stock and a fairly cheap (260) Scratch N Dent sale... I'm kinda jealous now.
If you think of god as a pair of pants, a spiritualist thinks he needs pants, in fact he wants pants but none of the conventional types of pants seem to fit just right, so he makes his own pants and is happy that his knees are no longer cold.-fibus
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

Im going to head to GC soon, but in the mean time the Dot looks like my choice.

Or this:Squier Tele
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

Wilbur wrote:Im going to head to GC soon, but in the mean time the Dot looks like my choice.

Maple necks ftw
If you think of god as a pair of pants, a spiritualist thinks he needs pants, in fact he wants pants but none of the conventional types of pants seem to fit just right, so he makes his own pants and is happy that his knees are no longer cold.-fibus
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

Ninja Mike 808 wrote:
Wilbur wrote:Im going to head to GC soon, but in the mean time the Dot looks like my choice.

Maple necks ftw
My thoughts exactly. Throw some actual Duncans in it down the road and I'd be fucking smoking.
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

Wilbur wrote:
Ninja Mike 808 wrote:

Maple necks ftw
My thoughts exactly. Throw some actual Duncans in it down the road and I'd be fucking smoking.
You need to check out guitarfetish.com's pups.
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

Ninja Mike 808 wrote:
Wilbur wrote:
Ninja Mike 808 wrote: Maple necks ftw
You need to check out guitarfetish.com's pups.
I had never heard of them till now...looks like good stuff, how does it sound?
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

Everyone usually gives rave reviews when it comes to GFS. I'll get some eventually, also, for the price, there can be no complaints.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

gfs pickups sound great for the price. they're generally an improvement to most squier pickups. there are much better pickups out there, but none of 'em even come close to gfs's prices.
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

bubbles_horwitz wrote:gfs pickups sound great for the price. they're generally an improvement to most squier pickups. there are much better pickups out there, but none of 'em even come close to gfs's prices.
Well...thats pretty much settled then. If I get the Squier, I'll most definetly have to look at throwing some of the GFS stuff in there. (The humbuck sized P90 looks particularly awesome.)
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

Well, after all this talk I went to the local guitar store. There mostly a Fender dealer, so all of those you guys mentioned were there.

Squier Telecaster Custom--
Felt cheaper than I thought it would. I really did like the sound though. I don't think I spent enough time with it, so a return trip is needed.

Squier VM Strat--I played this one quite a bit. It felt more expensive than any MIM Strat I've played, and it sounded great. The neck shape was just right, and everything was solid and good quality. I was particularly impressed with the tuning stability. After repeated ridiculous dive bombing it refused to budge. Overall, I really liked it, and saw no reason not to get it.

Fender Baja Tele--I absolutely loved it. But there is just no way I can afford it. Everything about it was great.

So, next time around, I'm gonna play the Squier Tele a bit more and try out an MIM Tele.

Other than that, I'm looking at the Epi Dot, Epi Firebird, and this : http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAAJD71T -- Has anybody played one?
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

i've played other artcores and they're pretty good apart from the pickups.