pickup choices, halp plz!

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

mellowlogic

pickup choices, halp plz!

Post by mellowlogic »

Hey guys.

I've got a jagstang playing through a peavey classic 50 with a ds1 distortion pedal.

I like to play punk and hard rock type stuff, but I haven't been able to get the tone I'm looking for (I usually use the bridge humbucker). I've been thinking about replacing this, but I'm not sure what to get. It definitely needs some good chunky palm-muting sound out of it. What do you guys thing would be a good fit for me?

I could totally be wrong about this, and maybe my setup just sucks for what I like to play but let me know if you have any advice :D
St. Jimmy wrote:i didn't put fuck-all in your mouth, other than a dick of truth.
hotrodperlmutter wrote:i wouldn't bang those chicks with gaybear's dick.
Haze

Post by Haze »

mellowlogic

Post by mellowlogic »

Ohh intriguing. Are there any potentiometer considerations when changing pickups? I'm a newb to mods :shock:
St. Jimmy wrote:i didn't put fuck-all in your mouth, other than a dick of truth.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

here are my recommendations. play with the neck pickup if you want something more chunky and don't use a ds1, it is not chunky. unless..... you use an EQ pedal to make it more bassy. or just use the EQ on your amp.
mellowlogic

Post by mellowlogic »

It sounds so twangy though! O_o
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

mellowlogic wrote:It sounds so twangy though! O_o
Twang is suppose to come from the bridge pick up. A lower sound comes from the neck pick up. Maybe joo got it backwards?
mellowlogic

Post by mellowlogic »

This is all very confusing. Must be my eq on the amp or my pedal....

I have to admit that i've only been playing for like 1.5 yrs so I haven't gotten into much of the stylistic stuff until now. I've mostly just been working on scales and chord progressions without much attention to tone.

I guess if my pickup isn't the problem, what pedal should I be using? I tried a big muff one time, but I wasn't that impressed with it honestly.
Haze

Post by Haze »

as much as some people here might not like this...
i would try out a Boss MT-2 [Metal Zone]
Go to your local guitar shop and play one
and bring your guitar too, hell try to even find the same amp you have
if you go to a "mom n pop'' store they'd be pretty cool about it

the MT-2 can do alot of stuff because of its 4 band EQ [high, low, mid, mid freq.] and distortion

it can get crazy, but its pretty versatile, i used it in a funk/ska band for about 6 months with nothing else but a wah pedal =)

so if you want a ballsy sound, i'd go there, of course it might run you upwards of 90 USD
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

what tone you after? name a band you want to sound like.

If its Nirvana you need to stick a Seymour Duncan JB or Dimarzio Super Distortion in there.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Neck pickup is not what you want to use for punky rhythms - at all. it'll just sound wooly and undefined when dirty.

Just get a seymour duncan JB trembucker for the bridge position.
mellowlogic

Post by mellowlogic »

Thanks for the info.
What does F-Spacing mean exactly? Is that what I need for my guitar? I was looking on guitar center's website and they have a jb-tb reverse. Is that reverese wound or something? Also what is a trem-bucker vs the regular jb?

I also looked at the superdistortion, those look kinda nice. Plus it says they can do regular or 'f spacing'. Sorry for all the questions, just want to make an informed decision! :oops:
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

A Trembucker is just a JB for Fender Spaced tremelos. You want that one. Don't worry about reverse wound.
light rail coyote

Post by light rail coyote »

get rid of the DS-1. It cant make any ear pleasing noise. I have a MT-2 and it's actually pretty versatile, can go from light distortion/overdrive to the super metal sound, and has eq. You would notice more of a difference with that then a different pickup, and is probably the sound you're looking for. I did the exact same thing as you, went from a DS-1 to a MT-2 when I had been playing for about a year.
mellowlogic

Post by mellowlogic »

Hmm thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll try a different pedal before I start mucking around with the innards of my guitar.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Marshall GV-2 or BB-2 would be a definite improvement on your DS-1.
light rail coyote

Post by light rail coyote »

Yeah, pretty much anything but a DS-1.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Actually he's got a Classic50? Just use the amp overdrive channel.

Throw the DS-1 out of your window.
mellowlogic

Post by mellowlogic »

Yeah I have the classic 50. I can't seem to dial in the tone I'm looking for, this is originally why i was wondering if pickups were really the problem. Even with the bass jacked up on the dirty chan I can't get that chunky sound I'm looking for.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

EQ pedal.

Danelectro Fish N Chips is Cheap and very good.
mellowlogic

Post by mellowlogic »

Seems like one of those distortion pedals with the built in eq may be a good compromise.