Shell Pink Jag

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Shell Pink Jag

Post by westtexasred »

Too bad it is in Japan do want
RumorsOFsurF

Post by RumorsOFsurF »

HOT!

Not only is it in Japan, it's also priced really high! A person could find a used AV Jag for that much. I paid $900 for mine.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

needs a matching headstock.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

RumorsOFsurF wrote:it's also priced really high! A person could find a used AV Jag for that much. I paid $900 for mine.
yea but shell pink?
r40f

Post by r40f »

very cool. what's up with that anti-buzz bridge "clipper"? i've never seen one before. what is it supposed to do exactly?
RumorsOFsurF

Post by RumorsOFsurF »

mage wrote:
RumorsOFsurF wrote:it's also priced really high! A person could find a used AV Jag for that much. I paid $900 for mine.
yea but shell pink?
I'd trade a cool color for a much better guitar. My problem with CIJs is the skimpy wiring and pickups. With an AVRI, at least you get cloth wiring, proper shielding, and good pickups. I won't even start on the tremolo tailpiece on the CIJs.

Of course, I did buy a CIJ Jazzmaster new just for the block inlay neck....I guess that's the same thing as buying one for the cool color. :roll:

I swapped the pickups, pots, and wiring, though.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

r40f wrote:very cool. what's up with that anti-buzz bridge "clipper"? i've never seen one before. what is it supposed to do exactly?

its just a buzz stop
dots wrote:incesticide
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

robroe wrote:
r40f wrote:very cool. what's up with that anti-buzz bridge "clipper"? i've never seen one before. what is it supposed to do exactly?

its just a buzz stop
also helps the strings from popping out of the shitty jazzmaster saddles.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

RumorsOFsurF wrote:
mage wrote:
yea but shell pink?
I'd trade a cool color for a much better guitar. My problem with CIJs is the skimpy wiring and pickups. With an AVRI, at least you get cloth wiring, proper shielding, and good pickups. I won't even start on the tremolo tailpiece on the CIJs.

Of course, I did buy a CIJ Jazzmaster new just for the block inlay neck....I guess that's the same thing as buying one for the cool color. :roll:

What does cloth wiring have to do with quality?
Shabba.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

cloth allows for an even placement of mojo thruout the guitar.
with rubber it just goes all willy nilly.
and hey just becuz you can' seem to setup a jazzy bridge doesn't mean the saddles are crappy.
just means you suck and setting it up.
hurb did a really good video a while back on how to do it properly.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

the cij fenders are shielded very well. it might not be "vintage correct" shielding, but it works.
and the pots and wiring are very good quality, but once again, might not be "vintage correct".
the only thing i can possibly understand are the pickups. that's all i would change on a cij, and that's just personal preference.

i don't care about any sort of "mojo" or "vintage correctness", i prefer cloth wire because it's so much easier to work with.
RumorsOFsurF

Post by RumorsOFsurF »

James wrote:
RumorsOFsurF wrote:
mage wrote: yea but shell pink?

What does cloth wiring have to do with quality?
The cloth covered wire that is used in the AVRI series is 100000 times better than the skinny-ass stuff Fender Japan uses.

It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that it's covered with cloth. You know what I meant, you're just being argumentative.
RumorsOFsurF

Post by RumorsOFsurF »

bubbles_horwitz wrote:the cij fenders are shielded very well. it might not be "vintage correct" shielding, but it works.
and the pots and wiring are very good quality, but once again, might not be "vintage correct".
Those mini-pots suck, and are really hard to work with, IMO. I just expect more from a guitar that costs close to $900 new. The wiring looks like something out of a cheap toy car.

As far as shielding, the shielding paint that the CIJs use doesn't seem to help much. My CIJ Jazzmaster is WAAAY noisier than either of my AVRIs, or my AVRI Jag for that matter. Just my experience.
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

RumorsOFsurF wrote: The cloth covered wire that is used in the AVRI series is 100000 times better than the skinny-ass stuff Fender Japan uses.

It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that it's covered with cloth. You know what I meant, you're just being argumentative.
Very true.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

RumorsOFsurF wrote:As far as shielding, the shielding paint that the CIJs use doesn't seem to help much. My CIJ Jazzmaster is WAAAY noisier than either of my AVRIs, or my AVRI Jag for that matter. Just my experience.
i don't know, my jaguar was dead quiet. as long as the guitar is properly grounded, you should have no trouble with noise.
and the mini pots? what's wrong with them? they worked fine on my jaguar. a pot is a pot. sure, some might have closer tolerances, but they all do pretty much the same thing. if you can really hear a difference between chinese-made pots and us-made, then your hearing must be superb.
i found the wiring in my cij jaguar to be pretty consistent with what fender's been doing for the past 40 years. i just don't understand the need to swap out the wiring on a brand new guitar if it's working fine.
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

bubbles_horwitz wrote: if you can really hear a difference between chinese-made pots and us-made, then your hearing must be superb.
You can certainly feel the difference between a quality pot and a shitty one. Also, the taper is often a lot different.
RumorsOFsurF

Post by RumorsOFsurF »

Of course I can hear the difference! I can hear the difference between a red and blue guitar without looking, too! **happy**

In all seriousness, I hate trying to solder the little pots, and they do feel weird.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

dodgedartdave wrote:
bubbles_horwitz wrote: if you can really hear a difference between chinese-made pots and us-made, then your hearing must be superb.
You can certainly feel the difference between a quality pot and a shitty one. Also, the taper is often a lot different.
Haha. So a Chinese made Alpha pot is better made than a CTS pot? That is some Icey bullshit there. I've used both and the only difference is that CTS pots are stiffer and bigger. So I can see how that can be perceived as "quality"

I will concede the tapers are different, but I actually prefer the Alpha taper on log pots.
euan
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

RumorsOFsurF wrote:
bubbles_horwitz wrote:the cij fenders are shielded very well. it might not be "vintage correct" shielding, but it works.
Those mini-pots suck, and are really hard to work with, IMO. I just expect more from a guitar that costs close to $900 new. The wiring looks like something out of a cheap toy car.
The wiring in the original guitars was hardly ever clean was it? I must have small hands because I don't find pvc wire or 16mm pots hard to work with at all. But then again I was working on circuits well before I was modding guitars.
euan
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

mage wrote:
yea but shell pink?
You could buy a CIJ Jaguar and refinish it in pink for half that price. So meh.