Is this Kurts Mustang?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

downer

Post by downer »

because he can, that is nothing of your business
and what he does with the collection is also just his own business, even if he used it just for decoration, what is your problem?
nicolas cage collects cars, he has idontknowhowmany of cars and i doubt he drives them all, but WHO CARES???
I don't know, I don't care, all I know is you can take me there
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

Mike wrote:You're making it harder for people that haven't even got one vintage Shortscale to pick one up also.
Since when do I hold any responsibility to anybody else if I do or don't buy a guitar? It's an open market, everyone is free to buy, sell or trade whatever they want. I don't feel bad that I can afford the things I want. I work like a fucking dog for it.
Mike wrote:I think that's pretty lame, you've admitted yourself you're not playing them - why are you buying them?
I guess that saying I only play the same 2 is a bit of an exaduration. It's just that right now I don't gig as regularly as I used to. When I have a lot of shows, sure I will bring out different guitars. It keeps things interesting when ya play the same songs all the time.
rodvonbon wrote:It has become a sickness at this point.
As far as collecting goes, it's an obsession. I also have EVERY issue of Daredevil comics from 1964 to 1998, # 1 to 380 and all of the annuals. I have never read a single one.
Life is "Pointless......but manageable"
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

rodvonbon wrote:
Mike wrote:You're making it harder for people that haven't even got one vintage Shortscale to pick one up also.
Since when do I hold any responsibility to anybody else if I do or don't buy a guitar? It's an open market, everyone is free to buy, sell or trade whatever they want. I don't feel bad that I can afford the things I want. I work like a fucking dog for it.
Granted, but why? Why do you want all these guitars you don't play that much? And on top of that all these guitars you make sound the same? You must admit it's barmy.
rodvonbon wrote:
Mike wrote:I think that's pretty lame, you've admitted yourself you're not playing them - why are you buying them?
I guess that saying I only play the same 2 is a bit of an exaduration. It's just that right now I don't gig as regularly as I used to. When I have a lot of shows, sure I will bring out different guitars. It keeps things interesting when ya play the same songs all the time.
Spending more money on guitars so you can relieve being fed up with playing the same material? That's a new one on me. It doesn't cost a penny to write new songs. You don't have to work like a dog to do that.
rodvonbon wrote:
rodvonbon wrote:It has become a sickness at this point.
As far as collecting goes, it's an obsession. I also have EVERY issue of Daredevil comics from 1964 to 1998, # 1 to 380 and all of the annuals. I have never read a single one.
Y'see why I'm asking these questions? it's like you don't even enjoy it.. like you're not even happy in your own skin doing it? I like you and think you have some really nice guitars, but I just don't understand it. You've said many times you have an absolute favourite (it's the Comp Stang is it not?) why not just play that and have a backup? I feel sorry for all these other ones you keep stacked away as backup imitations of the same guitar.

Whatever happened to just playing music?
65fenvox

Post by 65fenvox »

As far as collecting goes, it's an obsession. I also have EVERY issue of Daredevil comics from 1964 to 1998, # 1 to 380 and all of the annuals. I have never read a single one.[/quote]

You've never read a single one??
I too have a impressive collection of comics. And to me, its not about reading them everyday, its about about enjoying them once in a while and preserving them, really.
I collect them because I enjoy reading them. I really enjoy the artwork. Not because I want to sell them off one day for an insane amount of money.
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

Oh, come on now....Has Rick Nielsen ever been called an asshole for depriving the market of guitars? There were thousands of these guitars made and I'm just one guy. I'm not looking to own every single one and I get great pleasure out of having a collection. Even if I don't play every show with every guitar I still play them around the house and at practice. They may all sound close to each other, but they all play uniquely different.
I know I don't owe anyone an explanation, but keep in mind, I some times give guitars away to my nephew and close friends. Not the expensive ones, but I did give one away this past weekend. It makes me feel good and I know a lot of my friends aren't in the same situation as me. Aside from my mortgage and utilities I have 0 debt, no kids and both of my cars are paid off. So if I see (what I consider) a good deal on a guitar I will snatch it up or pass it along to someone who wants it more than me. Right now I had the choice of buying 3 brand new mustang reissues (1 in every color) below cost, or for quite a bit more buy vintage. I'm passing the reissue deal on to friends and getting the guitar I really want. If it were merely for quantity I would buy the reissues and I guarantee I would never touch any of them.
It has only been the past year that I've doubled the amount of guitars I have, and that coincides with trying to take a year off from playing in a band. After ten years playing with the same outfit, it's been nice to recharge my musical batteries and pick up a few cool guitars. Sitting on the couch or in my studio writing a set for a new band, on a variety of guitars is very inspirational to me........
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

A variety of guitars that you're trying to make sound the same? I'm sorry, I just don't get it
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

65fenvox wrote:As far as collecting goes, it's an obsession. I also have EVERY issue of Daredevil comics from 1964 to 1998, # 1 to 380 and all of the annuals. I have never read a single one.
I too have a impressive collection of comics. And to me, its not about reading them everyday, its about about enjoying them once in a while and preserving them, really.
I collect them because I enjoy reading them. I really enjoy the artwork. Not because I want to sell them off one day for an insane amount of money.[/quote]
I have volumes if I want to read the story lines. #1 - 15 are (low) cgc graded and the rest are in (not as good) sealed plastic cases or sealed bags. I read the volumes from time to time, but don't go through the bother of opening the actual issues. I too love the art and have a couple of key issues signed by Frank Miller. It took me years to get them all and have countless doubles and triples.
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

Mike wrote:A variety of guitars that you're trying to make sound the same? I'm sorry, I just don't get it
There is more to a guitar than the way it sounds. Right? I notice big differences on old guitars that make each one unique. I've guitars that no mater what I did to make them sound the way I want still played like shit and got rid of them. This is not the only collection of Mustangs I've ever had either. About 15 years ago I had 15 of them 20 years ago I had 10 others. Iv'e sold every one of them except the blue one. Maybe some day that will happen again. Until then I'm Ok with it.

[edited for horrable grammer]
Last edited by rodvonbon on Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
65fenvox

Post by 65fenvox »

rodvonbon wrote:
65fenvox wrote:As far as collecting goes, it's an obsession. I also have EVERY issue of Daredevil comics from 1964 to 1998, # 1 to 380 and all of the annuals. I have never read a single one.
I collect them because I enjoy reading them. I really enjoy the artwork. Not because I want to sell them off one day for an insane amount of money.
I have volumes if I want to read the story lines. #1 - 15 are (low) cgc graded and the rest are in (not as good) sealed plastic cases or sealed bags. I read the volumes from time to time, but don't go through the bother of opening the actual issues. I too love the art and have a couple of key issues signed by Frank Miller. It took me years to get them all and have countless doubles and triples.[/quote]

Thats cool man. Sounds like you have a nice collection.
As for your guitar collection, I see it as, this is a guy that LOVES Mustangs and has the means to snatch them up whenever he feels like it. So what?
If $100 bills started to fall from the sky, I would grab as many as I could. Not because of greed, but because it gets me closer to things I really want. Or more able to give the people I love things that they need/want.
In your case Rod, it seems like it's a security around your music. As Mustangs are going up in price and maybe your grabbing them so you feel that you will always have what you need to walk on stage or into the studio with your weapon of choice.
Like a confidence. Or maybe I'm WAY off!
purplehaze19x

Post by purplehaze19x »

Im guilty of it also, I own 6 Mustangs, and 4 of them are set up exactly the same. hotrail pickups in the bridge, stock neck pickups.
but, even tho they are set up the same way, none of them play or even sound alike to me.
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

purplehaze19x wrote:hotrail pickups in the bridge.
\
Yer an Ok guy!
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

I agree with Mike. Sell that sh#t. You only need 2 guitars and 1 amp. and maybe 2 pedals and a tuner.

Selling my collection is the best thing i ever did - generated loads of money and now its all about the music. No distractions, no finding tone, just pure rocking out. Plus having guitars sitting around collecting dust is bad man, they need to be plaaayed.
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

The last few pages of this thread should be called "the psychology of (guitar) collecting".
aphasiac wrote:I agree with Mike. Sell that sh#t. You only need 2 guitars and 1 amp. and maybe 2 pedals and a tuner.
I don't need any pedals or a tuner. Guitar straight into amp. I tune by ear at the beginning of a show and as the guitar goes out of tune I switch to a new one. One day I will play a show and change guitars every song ala Cheap Trick.
aphasiac wrote:Selling my collection is the best thing i ever did - generated loads of money and now its all about the music. No distractions, no finding tone, just pure rocking out. Plus having guitars sitting around collecting dust is bad man, they need to be plaaayed.
It's not a distraction as much as it's therapeutic. I can sell them all for what? money? It's a matter of priorities and I never thought I would ever be where I am today. I know what it's like to have absolutely nothing. I was kicked out /left home at the age of 15 and have been on my own ever since. I had a job, apartment, roommates and went to high school. I graduated a year early with a 3.9 gpa, blew off a scholarship, made a ton more mistakes, but turned out just fine. If I can afford myself a few luxuries, what does anyone care?
I guess I can understand why I'm getting all the questions, really, and find myself sharing WAY more than I ever thought I would online. It must be the Schlitz.

Ok, i'm out for the night.....I will check back later.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

If I had the extra cash, I'd be a guitar collecting freak, guitars are my pokeman.
RichieDagger
Child Despised

Post by RichieDagger »

paul_ wrote:The nephew must've come round for lunch today or something?
HOLY SHIT.
Member of the 10,000+ Posts Club.
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

rodvonbon wrote: just fine. If I can afford myself a few luxuries, what does anyone care?
I'm sorry, im not knocking you, you have an amazing collection. and hey if it makes you happy, then keep doing it i guess. It's just i was a bit like you, but i finally realised material items /= happiness. So i sold it all. and it felt great.

One very good thing about guitars (unlike say electronic items) is that they hold their value, so its not like you're throwing money away. Hell, you'll probably sell em for more in thje long term.
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

it's my guitar, which adds 38 dollars to the over all value.
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

More Cowbell wrote:If I had the extra cash, I'd be a guitar collecting freak, guitars are my pokeman.
+1
sonicboom

Post by sonicboom »

The whole collecting thing, yeah.
I've got an unresolved issue with the idea of collecting something without uh...exploiting its intrinsic purpose. What I mean is, collecting, like, stamps makes sense. You can't use 'em anymore.
But guitars? They godda be plaaayed, as has already been suggested.
I'm not about to kick anybody's arse for having more guitars than me or anything like that, but the more you have, the more their purpose gets kinda blurred. And if you're only playing a few, why have so many?
And the precious thing, that really rips my knitting. Y'know, 1958 LP Standards behind security glass? Fuck that. I wanna hear that thing!
No guitar, repeat no guitar is worth six figures.
So I can just about square away my modest clutch (only three that are actually weapons-grade) as the most I've ever paid is £400, and they all get played very regularly.
And yeah yeah, OK. Everyone has a perfect right to spend their hard-earned on 3 dozen identical Mustangs or whatever. I can't argue with that without opening the door to a whole political/socio-economic/ethical ballpark.
So, smaller to me = better. You get to know your instruments really well. I'd get (kind of pleasantly initially) lost in a big guitar collection, and end up playing about three regularly.
And you spend less on strings, probably.
hoamaloanTallman

Post by hoamaloanTallman »

Has Rick Nielsen ever been called an asshole for depriving the market of guitars?
he's got so many of them... apparently he's opening a museum/venue thing for his guitars here around rockford (where i reside). that's going to be really cool.

But damn, i wish i had a stang. i'd gladly take a modified one too...