grand for a serviceman

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

downer

grand for a serviceman

Post by downer »

huh, is it still legal to sell a serviceman for so much money?
are they going to be so unique? there was fender maverick last month going for this price...
I don't know, I don't care, all I know is you can take me there
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

post a link!
i sold mine to dave for 200 bucks, i have seen a few go for around 500-600.00 crazy huh?
paul_

Post by paul_ »

If you think about it after a few tokes on a bong with wizards and skulls and shit on it, they are sort of historically significant in a way. Plus these dudes that hoard up heaps of jags might want one as a conversation piece.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Justin
NSFW

Post by Justin »

As long as it's not a POS, a vintage fake Jaguar is real enough for me.
light rail coyote

Post by light rail coyote »

yeah, I saw that thing on teh Bayz, I was shocked
Fuzz monkeys are generally fed the most bananas
robert(original)

post a damn link! i can't find it!
the blue on i sold to sublimo was the best one i had. hands down, that thing RAWKED!
i think he even still uses it quit a bit. the white one was... probly the next in line but the nut always bothered me on it.
the sunburst one was only crap cuz all the electronics were shot tohell.
Sublimedo

Post by Sublimedo »

Hell yea. i gigged with it all the time. I love that thing.
finboy

Post by finboy »

i almost bid on a body/guard that was on ebay about a year ago, but i think it ended while i was at work :(
mewithoutus

Post by mewithoutus »

okay, i have heard the term "sevicemen" thrown around alot.

what the hell does it mean? what is a servicemen jag?
rich people say fuck yeah hey hey
heavium wrote:grow a bat army in my room and train them to attack when someone comes in
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Cheap knock off's purchased in Vietnam by soliders and brought back to USA.

http://www.jimshine.com/phillipino/viet ... copies.htm

Google is your friend.
mewithoutus

Post by mewithoutus »

woah.

sounds like they are terrible.
heavium wrote:grow a bat army in my room and train them to attack when someone comes in
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

i thought they were from the philippines. now i'm all confused.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I think they can be from any Conflict Zone/Army base country.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

i've always like the serviceman guitars. mainly because the guys who made them were hardcore diy. and they're just so interesting.
but anyone who pays more than a few hundred for one is a jerk.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

mewithoutus wrote:woah.

There's no official spec for them, so the quality really varies. I've seen things that barely look like a Jag at all, things that are pretty hard to tell from a real jag, and I've even seen servicemen strats that have jaguar-esque parts on them. I suppose they relied on servicemen having seen little black and white pictures of guitars in newsprint catalogues of the day and thusly not being able to tell the difference when they saw one of these knock-offs, but to tell you the truth, some of them look incredibly accurate. There's a 50's style strat in Guitar Showcase that looks real good, but then on the wall just on the other side of the glass from it there's a cheap burgandy mist-ish serviceman strat with a weird trem and shitty bridge, fake height adjustment screws, fake black "ply" painted in the center of the bevelled pickguard edge, etc...

You should try it if you're ever in there, it's weird.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

There are a lot of really interesting things about them. The frets are bars, rather then the typical barbed frets. The necks had no truss rods. The wood was mahogany bleached white. They are very interesting little guitars. Over the weekend, I'll tare mine apart and post pics.
mewithoutus

Post by mewithoutus »

paul_ wrote:
mewithoutus wrote:woah.

There's no official spec for them, so the quality really varies. I've seen things that barely look like a Jag at all, things that are pretty hard to tell from a real jag, and I've even seen servicemen strats that have jaguar-esque parts on them. I suppose they relied on servicemen having seen little black and white pictures of guitars in newsprint catalogues of the day and thusly not being able to tell the difference when they saw one of these knock-offs, but to tell you the truth, some of them look incredibly accurate. There's a 50's style strat in Guitar Showcase that looks real good, but then on the wall just on the other side of the glass from it there's a cheap burgandy mist-ish serviceman strat with a weird trem and shitty bridge, fake height adjustment screws, fake black "ply" painted in the center of the bevelled pickguard edge, etc...

You should try it if you're ever in there, it's weird.
yeah thats pretty crazy. i might hop over to guitar showcase today actually.

you live in the bay area?!!?
robert(original)

on the contrary dave, the suburst one that i had was spalted maple, and had a metal bar down the center of the neck, and i think that subs servicemen has normal frets, but yes for the most part no truss rods and bleached, or painted mohogany.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

mewithoutus wrote:
yeah thats pretty crazy. i might hop over to guitar showcase today actually.

you live in the bay area?!!?
Yeah, my bass player is from Fremont, we went to Mid-Pen, I live in Cupertino/Saratoga near DeAnza blvd and my new recording class requires me to be down on Willow all the time at that Annex Digital (where my band recorded a demo in high school).

The servicemans and ebay knock offs were upstairs near the keyboard stuff last time I was in GS.
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

robert(original) wrote:on the contrary dave, the suburst one that i had was spalted maple, and had a metal bar down the center of the neck, and i think that subs servicemen has normal frets, but yes for the most part no truss rods and bleached, or painted mohogany.
I'm just learning about them. The only ones I've seen are Fredo's and Mine. Fredo's has bar frets. Mine, I can't tell because of the binding....