Jaguar or Penguin

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

What guitar should I get?

Fender Jaguar
55%
Gretsch White Penguin
45%

Total votes: 33
jon183

Post by jon183 »

haha dude that version of future decided was incredible haha. but ya, i should be a better steward of my finances but im not going to be droppin money down right away, this is a long term kinda thing. I just blessed with a really good new job makin some nice $$$ so i thought why not. I dont have many nice guitars.
jon183

Post by jon183 »

Of course I want to play one first. I would never buy a guitar without hearing and playing it first hand with my own gear. Im after something that sounds really clean with some body. Look wise im going for something classy...something white heh.

Over all yes I think the penguin is a bit much, but ive been playin guitar for a long time and i play regularly so i thought im ganna have an opportunity to get something good here soon, so these are my options.

I have a Gretsch Pro Jet and i REALLY love it, so i thought why not go to the next step? Id consider a duo jet, but takin that theyre only like $400 less from what i really want, why not go for what i really want.

and Ive always liked the jag. Especially a white and tort jag.
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Cool and thanks. Now to doctor it up with live video and youtube! J/K.

At any rate, in that case I'd base your decision more on what others indicated. What kind of tone are you after in relation to any other guitars you've got? I've had heaps of fun with Jags, but I honestly would most likely not have one if it was my only guitar, because I do everything from pop to shoegaze. My gut still says Duo Jet, but am curious as to what you're after. :wink:
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

what i was thinking too, the p90's of a jazzy would come a bit closer to the penguin than the singles in a jag, if you would've said jazzmaster or penguin .., but a jazzmaster will still sound VERY different from a penguin, not to mention the feel, totally different beasts
soma89

Post by soma89 »

People are going to hate me for this but i always found Jaguars to be limiting, soundwise, but are probably one of the best looking guitars ever. The Gretsch is also a sweet looking guitar however i've never tried one so I can't comment.

I say you think it over a bit more, you have all the time in the world and if your going to spend that much on a guitar it better be the best guitar you've ever played or you'll be wasting your money.
jon183

Post by jon183 »

amen i totally agree. I just wanna get some input and views on some other fellow guitar players
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

soma, the controls, on the jagaur,
they change the sound, i konw its crazy.

j/k, you really think the soudn is limiting tho?
Haze

Post by Haze »

do it
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Penguin, cause nobody has one and they're much nicer guitars than Jaguars in a sort of objective, overall sense. Besides the price difference, I honestly don't see where the point of confusion is.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
soma89

Post by soma89 »

robert(original) wrote:soma, the controls, on the jagaur,
they change the sound, i konw its crazy.

j/k, you really think the soudn is limiting tho?
lol, I gotta say ya i do. If I had a jag it would be a guitar I'd use only for specific songs, it probably wouldn't be my main guitar.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

<3 white penguins.

get a used one though. You'll save a ton and if you have a change of heart you won't lose anything.
Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

Jon if you are seriously thinking of spending that kind of money on a guitar, you need to think about a few different thinks.

1) will i love it forever, is it my dream guitar?
2) my tastes have changed, if i decided to get rid of it at some point because, how will the resale value be?

i say this because, say you get a penguin and love the way it sounds at first, but then after a year or 2 you find out there is some different sound you are looking for and can't afford to keep the penguin that has began to gather dust. Will the penguin have a good resale value? since it's used and probably will have the Gold that is starting to tarnish and little dings and stratches, what's the market for this guitar in this kind of condition? Or you make love it and keep it forever!

Now,

Same scenario, but with a vintage Jaguar either be it Original custom color white , or a refin vintage jaguar. The guitar will probably already be dinged and scratched. If the vintage guitar market continues to climb, you have have the guitar for a year or 2 and play the heck out of it ,not worry about getting it dinged scratched ect.. and you decided it's not for you. you sell the guitar and will probably make profit on it. Or you might love it and keep it forever and would be glad to have gotten a vintage Jaguar back when you could afford one, since the prices keep climbing to crazy numbers

but PLAY the guitars first, you might find one that just sings to you and tells you to take it home. It happened to me, it is an indescribable feeling when you first hold that guitar you know you will own for the rest of you life.

heavium, jazzmasters don't have P-90's! P-90's have bar magnets Jazzy pickups have rod magnets :D
mewithoutus

Post by mewithoutus »

that penguin looks fucking nice. +1 on getting a used one.
rich people say fuck yeah hey hey
heavium wrote:grow a bat army in my room and train them to attack when someone comes in
SmutVendetta

Post by SmutVendetta »

The Jaguar limiting? Whoa. Imma hafta say go with the Jaguar.
mewithoutus

Post by mewithoutus »

fuck this get both.
rich people say fuck yeah hey hey
heavium wrote:grow a bat army in my room and train them to attack when someone comes in
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

does the penguin have a story behind it?

LIKE WHY THE FUCK DO YOU PUT A PENGUIN STENCIL ON YOUR PICKGUARD?

its gotta mean something. i can under stand a falcon. i mean its a mightey falcon that goes real fast and kills shit. good name for a guitar.

but penguin?
dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

i saw a show last year and got there late, only got to watch this kid play this jag for one song. i have no idea what the band was called or who he was.

its like the jaguar version of excalibur

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

btw. FUCKING DUMBASSES AND THIER DROP D TUNING. THEY LOOK LIKE SPEDS

that kid is concentrating waaaaay to hard on playing F with one finger
Last edited by robroe on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

hahahaha
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

If you are going to get a Penguin you should get this one Gretsch G6134-LTV it's got TV Jones pu's,a gold Bigsby and a laquer finish

Last edited by westtexasred on Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.