Mustang vs.Mercury

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

bassintom

Post by bassintom »

Yep,they klusons.I didn't put the strings on...that's a whole nother story.I'm just waiting till one breaks so I can change them.If I gigged with it they wouldn't be like that.But I don't gig :(
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

bassintom wrote:Yep,they klusons.I didn't put the strings on...that's a whole nother story.I'm just waiting till one breaks so I can change them.If I gigged with it they wouldn't be like that.But I don't gig :(
You are forgiven this time! but if I see anymore evidence of kluson rape/abuse I will have to put you on the program!!!!

:lol:
bassintom

Post by bassintom »

Thank you for your understanding... :D
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

bassintom wrote:It's got the lipstick pickups.Teh toggle just switches between neck/bridge/both.A simple volume and tone control.No special effects built in.
I'm glad you like the pickups! I like them too. I can't really pinpoint what they sound like. At times, they sound like a tele. At other times, they have P-90 vibe. They are diffinately unique and that a flare that matches the sound of the style of the guitar. I couldn't be more pleased with them. I would like to offer some variety of tones though.....

We are kinda rethinking the decal. bassintom will get a decal when they're done!
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Kinda glad I didn't get one now. From this angle the body looks too short for its shape. Especially compare to the Mustang which is my favourite Fender body.
euan
dawnofzion

Post by dawnofzion »

the headstock on that guitar looks weird. It almost looks too big or something.
Sublimedo

Post by Sublimedo »

I love that guitar actually. You really notice its great design once you start playing on it.
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

i think the head stock will look more proportionate with the decal.
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

I didn't realise they were going ahead and using that shit headstock shape. I thought they were going to change it to something good. All they need to do is make it around a third slimmer and slap a decal on there. Lose the two string trees, too. They look gay.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

i dunno why NoHo upsets everyone so much. other than not being able to seperate the product from Aug, maybe. i'm guessing if Aug wasn't involved people would be more polite
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
mewithoutus

Post by mewithoutus »

fuck noho.

:wink:
rich people say fuck yeah hey hey
heavium wrote:grow a bat army in my room and train them to attack when someone comes in
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I don't care whether or not aug had anything to do with noho. I'm sorry but I would not sit well with paying $800 for a guitar with no decal with a promise that one would be sent to me to adhere myself, after a wait this long. Also things about it, mainly the headstock shape, tuning peg location, pickguard shape, bridge location, not to mention the wonky reverse-offset nature of the guitar body itself....the styling cues look rushed and poorly implemented. For as much smack as Aug talked about other more reputable builders copying older designs, he sure brought nothing to the table. Plain and simple this guitar looks somewhere between a homemade wood shop project and an unfinished production model prototype, so you're halfway there.

Try harder next time. I'm sure the thing probably sounds/plays good, I would hope so anyways.
Justin
NSFW

Post by Justin »

So is this a replica of something or a design made up? I still like it, but I do think the headstock is wanky.
blane

Post by blane »

Justin wrote:So is this a replica of something or a design made up? I still like it, but I do think the headstock is wanky.

it's a mustang with out the top horn curves...

so you take a mustang body... and instead of curving the horns have a straight cut at a diagonal going to the neck pocket.

Throw in a 50's chevy inspired pickguard to make the straight line on the top horn more profound, add an interesting elongated headstock.

throw in a wrap around bridge, two single coils, a "3 way switch" and copy the mustang control and input config exact.

and boom the noho mercury.

I think it's kinda ugly.. it's not really sexy... It has no curves and considering i can buy a reissue mustang for quite a bit less than $800... I think you'll be hard pressed to sell a lot of these to the general public.

I'd probably go back to the drawing board and design something with some sex appeal. both in the body and headstock
freekandy

Post by freekandy »

i actually like the body shape and the PG. Headstock is pretty weak, and i'd rather have a HS configuration instead of the SS, but thats me. maple necks aren't my favorite, especially with matching headstocks. and i don't like the bridge to much either. mercury with different headstock, jaguar/jazzmaster trem system would make that really good looking IMO, a rosewood fretboard, and bridge bucker, and i think it's be a cool guitar. Dunno if I'd pay 800+ for it though.
jaguars :)
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

bassintom wrote:Why do I have to get ripped for everything I post?You mentioned Aug's name and company..
It wasn't you Paul..I don't want that to happen here either.It was a simple post.
Noone was even talking to you. You're sooo tetchy. Calm the fuck down.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

gaybear wrote:i dunno why NoHo upsets everyone so much. other than not being able to seperate the product from Aug, maybe. i'm guessing if Aug wasn't involved people would be more polite
For me if it wasn't NOHO I would of laid into it allot more. out of respect for aug dave and bassintom I don't wanna let rip on it. If it was made by anyone else I wouldn't give 2 thoughts about ripping the piss poor design apart.
But bassintom paid good money for it and he is happy that's all that matters. but you wont get everyone saying how nice it is if they don't think it is nice. that would be dumb.
bassintom

Post by bassintom »

but you wont get everyone saying how nice it is if they don't think it is nice. that would be dumb.
We all have different tastes.That's why there are so many different guitars and women.Constructive criticism is great,makes you try harder next time.I am happy with my merc.that's all that matters to me.I could have spent that money on booze and hookers but teh wife would not approve,she approves of the merc,so I made a good choice. :D
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

I'd like to point out flaws, but no need, as long as the owner is happy, and the guitar makers are happy, that is all that matters.

Glad you got it Bassintom.
deadonkey
Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Post by deadonkey »

i liked it before aug got aug'd, and i still like it, it's a nice looking guitar.
everything is not going to be alright