Mustang vs.Mercury

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

A tip about the headstock. if you have to use a string tree/retainer don't make the mistake of bringing it really close to the nut. I just had to fix my hagstrom which has a major design fault at the headstock. you see the angle from the nut to the tuners is not steep enough (like worse than a fender) so they have a to put a bar string retainer close to the nut to make the break angle to stop the strings not sit in the nut. however because you have a lot of tension down on the strings they simply go out of tune as the metal does not provide enough slip for the strings to move back to pitch. I tries all sorts to improve the tuning like puting pencil lead all over the strings under the bar. and raising the bar as much as possible before the strings went loose in the nutt. but the issue with tuning was still there.
so I had to use some modified graphtech mustang saddles instead of the metal bar. this provides enough slip that bare metal never will at such a tension filled break angle.

something to think about.

Last edited by Hurb on Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

TheBurbz wrote:Is Bassintom the only person to receive a Mercury? If there are others, maybe we could set up a photo gallery thread to show them off from different angles and with different colour schemes and whatnot? I'd very much like to see more pics :wink:
Lamp is getting one too. I was going to be getting one but ran out of time/cash.
euan
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Idoit post because I didn't see the picture Hurb posted.
euan
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Cool info there Hurb.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Mike wrote:Cool info there Hurb.
Cheers it really is something that can fuck up a guitar. no matter how good it functions up to the headstock. if that is badly/poorly or last minute designed you can forget about it.
With the graphtech pushing down instead of the metal. the hag stays in tune no matter how much I FUCK about with the trem now.
Of course if hagstrom had just put a better break angle from the nut you wouldn't need string trees at all! however I think it's the nature of the very very(like even thinner than an A neck) thin neck. makes the break angle a no go.
bassintom

Post by bassintom »

Good info there,thanks Hurb.Where do they sell those graphite bars..I could use one on another guitar I have.THanks.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

bassintom wrote:Good info there,thanks Hurb.Where do they sell those graphite bars..I could use one on another guitar I have.THanks.
i had to use graphtech mustang saddles, I did a a quick search for graphtech bars but couldn't find any. You can get graphech trees..But I couldn't be bothered to wait and I already had the saddles. I will take a picture.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Please do, I have that hagstrom viking I would play a bit more if it stayed in tone better (the 3 bolt necks don't help these guitars as it is.)
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Nick wrote:Please do, I have that hagstrom viking I would play a bit more if it stayed in tone better (the 3 bolt necks don't help these guitars as it is.)
Uploading. I find the 3bolt to be np although the hagstrom II has an OOOber tight neck pocket though.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I think the headstock is the weakest aspect, it's too large and bulbous, and as Nick says the tuners are placed horribly. It needs a lot of work.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Here is some pictures of the mod. The mustang saddles are a little bulky to be honest. some slender string trees would be a little prettier. Or if that graphtech bar does exist that would be ideal!
Of course it means having an extra small screw hole in your vintage instrument :roll:

I also have a video uploading showing the improvement in staying in tune.
bassintom

Post by bassintom »

Nice work Hurb.I'll be getting some of those saddles for sure.Thanks
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

bassintom wrote:Nice work Hurb.I'll be getting some of those saddles for sure.Thanks
no worries.

here's the video excuse me catching flies.

[youtube][/youtube]
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I think if you put a couple more string wraps on each tuner you'll have even better tuning stability.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Mike wrote:I think if you put a couple more string wraps on each tuner you'll have even better tuning stability.
I'm lazy with that style of tuner. klusons all the way.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Klusons uber alles fur sure. But you gotta put more effort in than that you lazy fucker
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

dodgedartdave wrote:
bassintom wrote:
What type tuners are they? Klusons are my favourite.
They don't say kluson,but they look just like them.........DDD..are they?
Yep, they are. :)
I thought Klusons had a hole in the end ala Fender tuners in the 60s and 70s? Or is that just one type?

Either way the hole in the end ones are the best tuners in the world, and teh Mercury doesn't have them.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Mike wrote:Klusons uber alles fur sure. But you gotta put more effort in than that you lazy fucker
I dunno I have done in the past and not noticed a huge difference if the guitar is setup proper. The thinner strings are wrapped around a bit more like
deadonkey
Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Post by deadonkey »

Mike wrote:I think if you put a couple more string wraps on each tuner you'll have even better tuning stability.
in theory that shouldn't work, the more string length you have after the nut, the more string there is to bend and stretch and cause tuning problems.

in this case, more string windings would probably be beneficial though, because you'd be increasing the angle over the nut by bringing the windings down low to the headstock. I do that on my fender style guitars, which i currently don't have any of.
on an angled headstock obviously you don't need to.

like a lot of things when setting up guitars, it's a compromise.
everything is not going to be alright
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

The devil's advocate position is that it is never a good idea to compare against such an established brand, because we are so conditioned to expect and like the Mustang as a premiere shortscale guitar. It would be hard to make a guitar that is comparable and not derivative. My personal preference is for an inline 6 because it is easier to install strings. I like the shape but it does seem to pale against a Fender in some ways. Meanwhile it is probably well crafted, judging by what I have seen of Aug's work. Price-wise, it could be considered competitive as a custom non-factory model.

I would agree that by looking at it as a whole, it would be nice to see further refinement on the head shape. But that is a peeve of mine--I only like a handful, including Ric and the old Epi. The Mosrite is kind of goofy looking, but again, it has grown on me.
Yell Like Hell