Guitars that will increase in value

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

NO U

I just hate Les Pauls. They're really, really wank. and i've played expensive ones.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I used to haet.

Then I found one I liked. I probably wouldn't have bought it if I had to pay full price though.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

im with mike on this one, i have played some really really nice les pauls before and non of them spoke to me personally.
the only gibson i can honestly say that i like is a 1970 sg thats been sanded down to baree wood and has tele electronics in it.
no joke, the thing kills!
blane

Post by blane »

les pauls sound and play really nice, but they're too damn heavy.. and i've never seen the goddess series that they came out with awhile ago in person..

though i think they're to expensive for such a barebones guitar.

i like the les paul DC specials though with the p-90's those are actually pretty nice even if they do suffer from headstock dive.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

the best sounding les paul by far that i have ever heard in person was mike ness gold top loaded with p-90s thru an old bassman head coming out of an old marshall half stack, i was about..... 4 ft. from mr.ness and about 8-9 feet from his rig. sounded damn nice, and he only used a boss overdrive pedal. no special crap, no bullshit, guitar,pedal, amp, and then whatever the sound guy was doing to feed it thru the rest of the sound system but i was close enough that i was really only hearing the band as a raw 4 peice rather than a leveled out p/a sound.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

blane wrote:les pauls sound and play really nice, but they're too damn heavy.. and i've never seen the goddess series that they came out with awhile ago in person..

i like the les paul DC specials though with the p-90's those are actually pretty nice even if they do suffer from headstock dive.
They're chambering them now, much lighter. I wish I'd waited and bought one that was chambered, mine is still pretty heavy, even for a studio.
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

Here is guitar that will go up in value: 1960 "Jimmy Page" Danelectro DC

[youtube][/youtube]
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

aren't those already sort of valuable?
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

Maybe that model is getting too expensive.These are still pretty cheap

[youtube][/youtube]
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Actually, one of the first guitars I thought of when I saw this topic was the Venus. It's an original design, has some pretty useable sounds and came in sexy seafoam green. I wouldn't have thought a great many of them got made, sold, or treated with any respect by their teenage owners either, due to their association with the witch and subsequent unpopularity. Obviously Supersonics are already worth more than they cost new, for much the same reasons as I've already mentioned. In five, ten years people will pay a fair whack for unmodded vista series squiers.

Another easy candidate are the made in the USA Reverends. They went by virtually unnoticed but were high-end, high-spec custom shop stuff, with stunning looks and modern materials. I desparately, badly want a Reverend Spy these days, and they're so rare I bet I'll be competing for one on ebay with a bunch of people.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Blonde Squier '51 will definately steadily go up a little. People are already paying more for them on ebay.

Stock Vista series of course.

The overall price of Schecters will increase as the public realise the amount of look and quality for such a price.
LimpDickCheney

Post by LimpDickCheney »

Harmony Rocket
Harmony Sovereign
Silvertone Danelectros
Kay guitars with Kelvinator Headstock
Magnatone solid bodies
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

LimpDickCheney wrote: Magnatone solid bodies
ive got one of those. why do you think so?
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

timhulio wrote:Actually, one of the first guitars I thought of when I saw this topic was the Venus. It's an original design, has some pretty useable sounds and came in sexy seafoam green. I wouldn't have thought a great many of them got made, sold, or treated with any respect by their teenage owners either, due to their association with the witch and subsequent unpopularity. Obviously Supersonics are already worth more than they cost new, for much the same reasons as I've already mentioned. In five, ten years people will pay a fair whack for unmodded vista series squiers.

Another easy candidate are the made in the USA Reverends. They went by virtually unnoticed but were high-end, high-spec custom shop stuff, with stunning looks and modern materials. I desparately, badly want a Reverend Spy these days, and they're so rare I bet I'll be competing for one on ebay with a bunch of people.
Totally. I always had the inkling to eventually get myself a Reverend, but when they stopped making the US one's I new that within a few years the 'd be well out of my price range.
Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

yeah i'm still uspset to this day i got rid of my Reverend Rocco :( with a Braggs X bridge and coil taps .... it was an awesome guitar. They still pop up on ebay every now and then with a good deal under $700
LimpDickCheney

Post by LimpDickCheney »

Mo Rocca wrote:
LimpDickCheney wrote: Magnatone solid bodies
ive got one of those. why do you think so?
If it is a Paul Barth design it will increase because it is a Paul Barth design. If it is a Toronado, Cyclone or Zephyr it will go up because of the Elvis Costello association.
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

magnatone typhoon?
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
matte30is
Gimme' head till I'm dead

Post by matte30is »

50's strat's and tele's
Haze

Post by Haze »

this is eric johnson at his best
cliffs of dover
ftw

It really picks up around 2:30 btw
[in the vid]
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

blane wrote:les pauls sound and play really nice, but they're too damn heavy.. and i've never seen the goddess series that they came out with awhile ago in person..

I agree with all that. I have never relly liked LP studios, standards or customs, but i have to use them for visual reasons in the pistols. The slightest chance i get though i use my LP Junior DC. I love double cut solid bodys without the spikey horns of SG's.

The big problem is there is a fine line to becomming a collector. I realised after reading this thread the other day that out of 13 of my guitars 9 of them are either vintage or no longer in production. What do you do?
Gig 'em, play and bash them about or realise the possible future investment and get them out once a week to play and polish them?
To be honest i'm in mikes camp, i like to play my instrument and rock out. So i feel more comfortable using my guitars of lower value. Its a strange situation to be in and i probably sound like a twat with too many guitars. :lol: