Width Preferences? "A" or "B"

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

"A" or "B" width?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:09 pm

"A"
19%
"B"
48%
What are you talking about?
33%

Total votes: 21
Justin
NSFW

Post by Justin »

Have we got this issue settled yet or not?
Stangfan

Post by Stangfan »

astro wrote:My 1976 american 'stang has a B width and I love it. But my jap '69 RI 'stang has a nut that's a few millimeters narrower. I love it too, but chording is a little tougher. I've never seen the neck stamp, but I assume that one is A width.

Now that I think about it, I thought I once heard that all the Japanese shortscale reissues are A width. Is this true, or am I just being delusional again?
Pics Please
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

Justin wrote:Have we got this issue settled yet or not?
6 days left for the poll.

Sorry. :?
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

the newer malibus have a very nice v shape,
the v shape came about and makes alot of sense, next time you are aound a v neck, play some open chords and movable f's, you will notice how comfortable it is, if you try soloing or doing power chords then it becomes awkward for most.
tracy prefers the v neck, mostly cuz she is a rythm player and says that unless she is playing an electric power chords are uselss.
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

robert(original) wrote:the newer malibus have a very nice v shape,
the v shape came about and makes alot of sense, next time you are aound a v neck, play some open chords and movable f's, you will notice how comfortable it is, if you try soloing or doing power chords then it becomes awkward for most.
tracy prefers the v neck, mostly cuz she is a rythm player and says that unless she is playing an electric power chords are uselss.
My first guitar ever had a thick, sharp V neck. Ever since then I've hated them. It was probably ten times more difficult to learn guitar because of it, and my hand still cramps up after 5 mins of playing a V neck today. It's really one of the only things that can just kill a guitar for me.

I never put my thumb over the fretboard, it always stays in the middle of the neck. So the V right beneath my thumb just makes it sore.

My favorite neck ever is my Mustang's, fairly thin, almost rectangularly flat at the back, small frets etc. Makes everything come out so easily, I can deal with a rounder neck (like on my Jag) but...
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

dodgedartdave wrote:Here's a site that has some info on Nut width and Neck Profile.....

width/profile info

There is probably a better site, but I didn't feel like look'n.

Enjoy! :wink:

C profile and C Thin !
Precise dwarf bravery
benecol

Post by benecol »

I voted B but I'd love to play a D width one day. And I like V necks, U necks and D necks, but I have awful left hand technique (wrap my thumb round like a cowboy, but never use it). Having said that, I'm learning to love the slim B width C neck on my jazzmaster.
astro

Post by astro »

Stangfan wrote:Pics Please
Here you go:

'69 RI from 2005. Switched the pickguard to black, added Lace Sensors (blue in neck, red at bridge), replaced all electronics (except switches) with CTS pots, Switchcraft jack, and Sprague orange drop cap. Also switched the tuners for Klusons with white plastic buttons. And straplocks.

1976, all stock except for straplocks. Original owner lost the trem bar, at some point I plan on getting a replacement, but I've been lazy about it since I don't use trems much. This pic is from when I had just gotten the guitar shipped to me, at the time it wasn't strung up and the neck wasn't even bolted to the body, just placed in position for the pic. She's all together now, and play like buttah.
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

astro wrote:
Stangfan wrote:Pics Please
Here you go:

'69 RI from 2005. Switched the pickguard to black, added Lace Sensors (blue in neck, red at bridge), replaced all electronics (except switches) with CTS pots, Switchcraft jack, and Sprague orange drop cap. Also switched the tuners for Klusons with white plastic buttons. And straplocks.

1976, all stock except for straplocks. Original owner lost the trem bar, at some point I plan on getting a replacement, but I've been lazy about it since I don't use trems much. This pic is from when I had just gotten the guitar shipped to me, at the time it wasn't strung up and the neck wasn't even bolted to the body, just placed in position for the pic. She's all together now, and play like buttah.
And the nut Widths? :)
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

I had an A width on my 64 mustang, and it was awesome. I had a B width on my bronco and it was awesome too.
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

More Cowbell wrote:I had an A width on my 64 mustang, and it was awesome. I had a B width on my bronco and it was awesome too.
What are on your others? Do you have a "C" width on any of your others?
Reece

Post by Reece »

iCEByTes wrote:Image

C profile and C Thin !
Hard V is actually that sharp? C Shape all the way.
astro

Post by astro »

dodgedartdave wrote:
Oops... :D

The '76 has a nut width of 1 and 5/8 inches.

The '69 RI has a 1 and 9/16 inch nut.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

astro wrote:
dodgedartdave wrote:
Oops... :D

The '76 has a nut width of 1 and 5/8 inches.

The '69 RI has a 1 and 9/16 inch nut.
both are concidered "B" width.