Width Preferences? "A" or "B"

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

"A" or "B" width?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:09 pm

"A"
19%
"B"
48%
What are you talking about?
33%

Total votes: 21
dodgedartdave

Width Preferences? "A" or "B"

Post by dodgedartdave »

What neck width do you guy prefer?
Justin
NSFW

Post by Justin »

I don't know the difference.
Sunn Zoo

Post by Sunn Zoo »

I don't know what that means yet. Is this only on specific guitars?

Which size would a jaguar be?
People will do things, its a fact.
Ninja Mike 808 wrote:I wanna hear some Pantera on the Hanna Montana guitar... And then, I wanna see a person comit sepuku with it, just for kicks and all...
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Sunn Zoo wrote:I don't know what that means yet. Is this only on specific guitars?

jags are C width.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Hmm.
euan
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

Justin wrote:I don't know the difference.
"A" and "B" are the width of the nut. They are stamped on the heal of the guitar. "A" widths are only on vintage instuments. They more or less disappeared during the CBS era.

The profile of the neck is different. Fender made many different profiles, but the standard profile on shortscale neck is called a "C Profile".
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

If I was buying a guitar I wouldn't really care because I can get along with either.

That said I like wider necks, so B, but I think unless your fingertips are just monstrous it's not a hard thing to adapt to compared to say, a neck with a V profile as compared to a D.

iirc they went up to C and D width necks, but barely anyone bothered to special order them.
Justin
NSFW

Post by Justin »

Alright, I love the necks that come on American & Mexican Strats. I've heard of C shaped necks and V shaped necks, is that the same? I think Carvin gives you the option when customizing a guitar...

My Japanese Jaguar and JagStang necks were really nice. I assume the were all 3 the same. I don't know, lol. I like necks based on how thick they are and how well the back is glossed, I don't like it to feel like my short hands are wrapping around an elephant penis, or trying to slide on tree bark. Mail some examples with a pre printed UPS return sticker and I'll let you know :D
Last edited by Justin on Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

What is referred to as a C shaped neck is more rounded, a D shaped neck is flatter, even though those letters are about equally curved when I write them.

V necks have an almost pointy back and are nearly impossible for me to play without my thumb aching horribly.
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

Jagermeister wrote:If I was buying a guitar I wouldn't really care because I can get along with either.

That said I like wider necks, so B, but I think unless your fingertips are just monstrous it's not a hard thing to adapt to compared to say, a neck with a V profile as compared to a D.

iirc they went up to C and D width necks, but barely anyone bothered to special order them.
I love a "V" profile, but they are hard to come by for some reason. My 57 MM has a V profile. So does my 1922 Gibson archtop. So does my 1905 parlour guitar. Back in the day, they just had it going on I guess.
Sunn Zoo

Post by Sunn Zoo »

Basically, you are saying the letter name of the neck corresponds to the shape of that neck being like that letter.

So what about A and B?

Is holding a B neck like wrapping your hand around tiny yet very long butt cheeks?
People will do things, its a fact.
Ninja Mike 808 wrote:I wanna hear some Pantera on the Hanna Montana guitar... And then, I wanna see a person comit sepuku with it, just for kicks and all...
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

Sunn Zoo wrote:Basically, you are saying the letter name of the neck corresponds to the shape of that neck being like that letter.

So what about A and B?

Is holding a B neck like wrapping your hand around tiny yet very long butt cheeks?
NO. It has nothing to do with shape.

The stamp on the back of the neck only corisponds to the width of the nut.

About butt cheeks? You'd have ask Aug about that one.
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

C , Slim C necks

my favorite Profile is Wizzard 2
My favorite Vintage profile was C Classic

i hate chubby necks like U my , i don't got large fingers so they are too much
unique chubby necks i like are from classic guitars
Precise dwarf bravery
NickD

Post by NickD »

B, but I can play A width ok
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

i don't think i've ever played an "a" width neck. at least if i did, i wasn't aware of it at the time.
but i generally prefer wider necks. i'd love to get my hands on a vintage jazzmaster with a "c" neck.
by the way, what physical measurements do the different letters correspond to?
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

dots wrote:
Sunn Zoo wrote:I don't know what that means yet. Is this only on specific guitars?

jags are C width.
Jag's are "B" width with a "C" profile.

I know it gets confusing.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I don't really know or care about widths. I only know that I've played two Mustang/Duo-Sonic guitars, NickD's Mustang which I imagine was a B? and Hurb's DuoSonic II which was an A. And While I loved both Hurb's was the nicer guitar.

If you're talking profiles then my favourite neck ever is the C profile on my Telecaster Deluxe, although the soft-V on my Baja Telecaster is also chunky and lovely to play.
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

I like a "B" width. It's more comfortable to me when playing a shortscale neck. An "A" width combined with 24" length or smaller is just not enough room for me when fretting chords by the nut. As far as profile I go the flatter the better. I guess the guitars I have are "C" profile with the exception of the blue 69' comp. For some reason that one plays like no other, the neck is super flat and I can set the action really low. I've also had a red 69' comp, that had all the neck stampings you would expect from the era but the thing was like a fucking baseball bat. Even the fret board was about 1/16 thicker. It might not seem like much, but that guitar really threw me off.
Life is "Pointless......but manageable"
astro

Post by astro »

My 1976 american 'stang has a B width and I love it. But my jap '69 RI 'stang has a nut that's a few millimeters narrower. I love it too, but chording is a little tougher. I've never seen the neck stamp, but I assume that one is A width.

Now that I think about it, I thought I once heard that all the Japanese shortscale reissues are A width. Is this true, or am I just being delusional again?
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

Here's a site that has some info on Nut width and Neck Profile.....

width/profile info

There is probably a better site, but I didn't feel like look'n.

Enjoy! :wink: