Intonation?!!

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

Mark

Intonation?!!

Post by Mark »

:x

ive just full cleaned and polished my new firebird but cant get the intonation right!
ive been trying to do it for roughly an hour, adjusting the saddles and checking on the 12th fret.
it ALWAYS comes out as flat notes...
its my first tune o matic and my first attempt to try properly tuning a guitar.

:?

is it the bow? stop bar height?
i wanna get the action as low as i can without a shitload of buzz.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

I'm not familiar with firebirds but if the neck is removable you'll prolly have to shim it with some cardboard or summit to lower the string height and eliminate buzzing. :?:
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

Once you pull the guitar up to full tune, I'm guessing you're fretting the 12th and noticing what the tuner says. Next, you're adjusting the saddle, but are you retuning after each adjustment? If not, there's your problem. Also, don't get impatient...intonating a guitar can't be done in any short period of time. In fact, it usually takes me a full 1/2 hour to intonate a guitar, and I'm really good at it.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

Aug wrote:Once you pull the guitar up to full tune, I'm guessing you're fretting the 12th and noticing what the tuner says. Next, you're adjusting the saddle, but are you retuning after each adjustment? If not, there's your problem. Also, don't get impatient...intonating a guitar can't be done in any short period of time. In fact, it usually takes me a full 1/2 hour to intonate a guitar, and I'm really good at it.
do you know how to intonate a bronco? i don't see how it's possible without taking off the strings each time you wanna adjust the saddles.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

bubbles_horwitz wrote:
Aug wrote:Once you pull the guitar up to full tune, I'm guessing you're fretting the 12th and noticing what the tuner says. Next, you're adjusting the saddle, but are you retuning after each adjustment? If not, there's your problem. Also, don't get impatient...intonating a guitar can't be done in any short period of time. In fact, it usually takes me a full 1/2 hour to intonate a guitar, and I'm really good at it.
do you know how to intonate a bronco? i don't see how it's possible without taking off the strings each time you wanna adjust the saddles.
of course! but, don't remove the strings...loosen the saddle screws just enough to be able to "tap" the saddle in either direction. If you don't get what I'm talking about, feel free to drop by the house, we'll shoot over to the shop and I'll show you.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

Aug wrote:of course! but, don't remove the strings...loosen the saddle screws just enough to be able to "tap" the saddle in either direction. If you don't get what I'm talking about, feel free to drop by the house, we'll shoot over to the shop and I'll show you.
yeah, i think i get what you're saying. i'll try it out this weekend. if i can't get it, i might have to take you up on the offer.
Doog
mid-century modem

Re: Intonation?!!

Post by Doog »

Mark wrote: ive been trying to do it for roughly an hour, adjusting the saddles and checking on the 12th fret.
So the saddles are all as far forward (towards the neck) as they can go?
Mark

Post by Mark »

Doog wrote:
Mark wrote: ive been trying to do it for roughly an hour, adjusting the saddles and checking on the 12th fret.
yep. ive tried both as far forward and as far back.
Ive been retuning after i adjusted the saddle.
Last edited by Mark on Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

Mark wrote:
Doog wrote:
yep. ive tried both as far forward and as far back.
You aren't doing it right, then.
Mark

Post by Mark »

ive tried for a solid 2 hours now and i fucking give up.

im just gunna pay the guitar guy to set it up.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

You are retuning the string to pitch after adjusting right?

The fact you're throwing that saddle fulling forwards and backwards means you don't know what you're doing. Is the string out because it's sharp at the 12th or flat?