While you were away..

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Doog
mid-century modem

While you were away..

Post by Doog »

The poor ol' Marshall box, it's been used and abused so much.. this week's flavour is a feedback loop, using a simplified version of this:

(Basically removed the on/off switch, so it either works as a simple FX loop or as a feedback loop)

BEHOLD IT'S ONE-EYED DULLNESS. Non-musical clips to follow, I'll probably also put in a proper footswitch when I feel safe to go near a soldering iron again.. I don't recommend knocking one over and picking it up by the wrong end:

With the board down, I also had the impetus to finally get the printing drafted for the Casa Bonita EP :D
(Cover pic by Harry, disc art by Penpen!)
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Ooh I like the swing pic. Cool-oh!
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I had the same soldering iron related injury like 3 weeks ago. I thought it was unplugged and was seeing if it was still warm. Turned out I unplugged the wrong plug.
Tweez

Post by Tweez »

Feedback Loop appreciation!
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

NOISE AND SLIGHTLY USEFUL TEXTURES

(Boss PS-5, RAT2, George Dennis trem and Vesta Fire MDX in loop)

The pitch of the oscillation can manipulated by the guitar's controls, I got some very convincing Atari 2600 sounds of it earlier..
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

NIce. now for my dumb question...

give me an example of how to hook up and use this pedal ( a diagram) please... :mrgreen:

thankzxs.
Tweez

Post by Tweez »

Doog wrote:NOISE AND SLIGHTLY USEFUL TEXTURES

(Boss PS-5, RAT2, George Dennis trem and Vesta Fire MDX in loop)

The pitch of the oscillation can manipulated by the guitar's controls, I got some very convincing Atari 2600 sounds of it earlier..
Yeah I noticed with mine the tone knob has no effect, sometimes switching pickups/strangle switch/rhythm circuit does, and most of the time the volume knob is really useful.
Tweez

Post by Tweez »

http://www.esnips.com/doc/15bb0cc9-d6b0 ... aigon-1975

All noise, me fucking about for a while with the feedback loop, with a Hi-Band Flanger, Memory Man, Big Muff and Rat in the loop.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Tweez wrote:Yeah I noticed with mine the tone knob has no effect, sometimes switching pickups/strangle switch/rhythm circuit does, and most of the time the volume knob is really useful.
Weird, the tone control does a fair bit on mine.
Tweez

Post by Tweez »

Doog wrote:
Tweez wrote:Yeah I noticed with mine the tone knob has no effect, sometimes switching pickups/strangle switch/rhythm circuit does, and most of the time the volume knob is really useful.
Weird, the tone control does a fair bit on mine.
I was playing with it earlier, It only makes a difference in the bottom 10% of it's turn, and all the way up.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

More Cowbell wrote:NIce. now for my dumb question...

give me an example of how to hook up and use this pedal ( a diagram) please... :mrgreen:

thankzxs.

I did away with the on/off switch on mine, so the loop is always included in the signal. The little white "footswitch" on mine is just the SPDT switch in the schematic, which turns the feedback function on and off.

When it's off, the pedal just works like a loop (IN>SEND>RETURN>OUT), nothing odd. When I stomp the switch, the pedal feeds the return to the OUT and the SEND, creating an infinate loop- the pot controls how much is going back into the loop.

The controls on pedals in the loop, your guitar and the feedback pot all effect the sounds, it's pretty fun.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

I made the passive one in the diagram. and speaking of, does your volume/feedback knob act opposite in the loop mode as opposed to the feedback mode?
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

The knob doesn't do anything in loop mode on mine.. I think it's supposed to be like that?
Tweez

Post by Tweez »

Doog wrote:The knob doesn't do anything in loop mode on mine.. I think it's supposed to be like that?
Yeah mine doesn't, In feedback loop mode when it's all the way up you don't hear any guitar, however about 75% of the way up you can hear guitar, albeit heavily effected.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Thanx doog.
Sonds kool.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

Tweez wrote:
Doog wrote:The knob doesn't do anything in loop mode on mine.. I think it's supposed to be like that?
Yeah mine doesn't, In feedback loop mode when it's all the way up you don't hear any guitar, however about 75% of the way up you can hear guitar, albeit heavily effected.

Well, mines fuxxored up then. IN the feedback mode it works right, but then in the fx loop mode it's a volume control (limiter)

Mayhaps i used something incorrect.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Tweez

Post by Tweez »

When it's all the way up in normal loop mode once it had a a bass cut effect but it only did it once.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Tweez wrote:
Yeah, exactly the same as mine.