new duo sonic

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Justin J

Post by Justin J »

ElCapitan wrote:why would an aluminium pickguard affect the sound?
maybe the same reason non-potted pickups affect sound? trust me, it's not mojo/corksniffer crap. it really does affect the sound.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I like these things, except for the knobs. They can fuck right off. Remind me of a cheap bass or something.
filtercap

Post by filtercap »

What is "modern C shape" going to mean for the neck? Not too shallow, I hope.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I would imagine something like a Jag-stang, for some reason. Kinda curvy and able to be held in the hand, but still wuite skinny. The use of the word modern would have me worried.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Ughh this thread sucks, after reading all the replies and people arguing about the dumbest stuff.

I also read a thread on Offset and people on there are talking about sanding off the Squier logo and putting a Fender one on. UGHHHHHHHHHH. People are so lame.
tribi9
Administrator

Post by tribi9 »

The only mod I'd do is vintage tint the neck. I love this guitar.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

jcyphe wrote:Ughh this thread sucks, after reading all the replies and people arguing about the dumbest stuff.
haha, yea, we are lame. but what else would you expect from a shortscale forum? of course we are going to argue about the minutiae of the new duo sonic.
jcyphe wrote:I also read a thread on Offset and people on there are talking about sanding off the Squier logo and putting a Fender one on. UGHHHHHHHHHH. People are so lame.
why do people do this??? it's so dumb. I don't know how many jv/sq squiers I've seen on ebay with the logo sanded off or that are now "mystery guitars" because someone put a crappy fender logo on it.
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

tribi9 wrote:The only mod I'd do is vintage tint the neck. I love this guitar.
just leave it in a sunny window for a few months. you'd be surprised how fast poly ages.
mage wrote:
jcyphe wrote:Ughh this thread sucks, after reading all the replies and people arguing about the dumbest stuff.
haha, yea, we are lame. but what else would you expect from a shortscale forum? of course we are going to argue about the minutiae of the new duo sonic.
seriously. if you don't like america shortscales, you can git out.
tribi9
Administrator

Post by tribi9 »

You know what else is lame? Bashing people for doing what they're supposed to do on a guitar forum which is "Discussing gear"
Last edited by tribi9 on Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

Looks cool to me. I migt get one, althoug I find myself jonesing for a Jag again.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
paul_

Post by paul_ »

What the motherfucking SHIT is this?

Next paycheck I get bitched out AGAIN?
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

tribi9 wrote:You know what else is lame? Bashing people for doing what they're supposed to do on a guitar forum which is "Discussing gear"
There is a difference between a discussion, and stupidity & snobbiness.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

jcyphe wrote:I also read a thread on Offset and people on there are talking about sanding off the Squier logo and putting a Fender one on. UGHHHHHHHHHH. People are so lame.
WEAK.
ElCapitan

Post by ElCapitan »

this looks really tempting. there go my aspirations of getting a MIM Jazzy.

or if the price is right, I could just get both. result.
iCEByTes wrote:now start drools please
Mustang Melx

Post by Mustang Melx »

I'm really tempted by this, it looks great...I hope it's a good seller because to be 100% honest I would rather have a different colour. I could live with the sand, it just wouldn't be my first choice. the other good thing is that it isn't some really budget squier, I presume it will be up to the standard of the 'vintage modified' series or whatever.
fullerplast

Post by fullerplast »

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/ind ... ic=12764.0

sorry to once again link to your favorite forum... but here's alot of nice shots of one in person.

I was the "brand snob" that wants to tint the neck and change the logo. I want the look of an original.... so what? Everyone's entitled to an opinion, dont change the logo on YOURS ok?

:wink:

As others have mentioned, the bridge is moved back due to the conversion neck. Yes, the bodies are different. It also has the tummy cut in back. These are not reissues (neither was the 90s version)... just like MIJ/CIJ/MIM Jags are not truly reissues. They are meant to capture an era or theme.

This duo is GREAT. It's light, sounds fantastic with the stock pickups, and doesn't cost a fortune. It's not "toy-like" as the 90s MIM duo felt to me. This model is great as-is or perfect for modding...
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

fullerplast wrote:http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/ind ... ic=12764.0

sorry to once again link to your favorite forum... but here's alot of nice shots of one in person.
Just copy and paste a couple of pictures then, this is a tedious habit.
fullerplast

Post by fullerplast »

OK... I copied this because I see how difficult it is for some of you to click a link. Excuse me for wanting to expose you to some related dialogue and see shots from every angle...
OK... it's here!

First impression as I'm unpacking it... no cheesy gigbag. It only came with two allen wrenches. Not that I really wanted a gig bag, but you would think that a Squier in the $300 range would have one. Anyway, I unwrapped it and was pretty much amazed from the start. It's really a nice guitar, and above "beginner" status, IMO. The (plastic) nut is nicely cut, the setup is decent, the frets are not sharp (although they are not beveled as much as I like), and there's no fret buzz. The guitar is amazingly light (basswood)... I dont have a precision scale, but if this thing is over 7 lbs, its not by much.

The Desert Sand is pretty accurate, a good compromise as the originals I've owned tend to be different shades, from tan to beige to almost a pinkish or peach hue. This one is almond and the finish is very nice. It's lighter than it appears in the promo pic. The neck pocket is tight and everything seems solid. The guard is really nice, thinner than an original but with the correct brushing. The anodizing seems thin, I can see aluminum in it at different angles to the light. I think it will age well. One really nice touch is the switch, it is correctly all stainless (not a fake chrome tip) and uses a hex nut like the original. The white tuners are also cool. They seem tight, but who knows the origin and if they'll last. They're probably Ping. One minor disappointment, they went to lengths on some of the details... but they didn't use threaded saddles.

Bad news on the neck... it's very white and shoe polish or the sun probably won't help it. It's not satin like other Squiers, it's completely finished in gloss poly. It feels good though, C-shape and B-width. It IS a conversion neck, hence the rearward bridge.

Good news on the neck... I laid my '64 Jag neck on top of it with the heels even. Although the nut is considerably above the Squier (maybe .5"), the 12th fret is not all that far apart (maybe .25"). I didn't take measurements yet, but I would almost think that it would intonate with longer screws. There looks to be enough bridge plate to move the saddles forward, although it would be close. It also looks like the whole bridge could be moved forward a tiny bit and still cover the dowels. So this thing could take a real 24" neck with small mods, or a 25.5" neck as a straight conversion. Or it could be left alone, as the existing neck is decent enough.

The sound is very nice! IMO... the stock pickups are great and would NOT need upgrading. It is quiet plugged in and has no grounding issues. They sound very crisp and clear when clean (nice surfy tones with lots of reverb) and sound nicely alternative on the gain channel. I guess you could say they sound like good old Fender single coils. Don't expect humbucker output though they seem to be pretty hot. The pots feel and work OK and the switch has a nice positive click. It's mounted to flip up and down. I imagine the pots are tiny chinese ones, I havent looked inside.

My idea for this one is to change the pots to CTS, install threaded saddles, change the switch to flip side-to-side, and do something with the neck. If I keep the neck, I would strip and tint it and maybe make a removable walnut plug for the truss rod hole. It does have the skunk stripe on the back. Sorry to be a brand-snob... but this cool little guitar deserves a silkscreened Fender logo. My other idea is to install one the of the nitro finished '57 Strat necks from Allparts. I have one here I can borrow off a Strat and try out.

All in all; IMO this a good value for $300 ($296 shipped to FL w/tax), and does not feel like a Chinese Squier... at least not the Bullet or Affinity series. It's definitely NOT a toy. I think with minor tweaking it could be gigged. It gets extra points just for looking so damn cool. But if also feels and sounds good.. and doesn't weigh a ton. Whoever decided to do this had a great idea. I personally wish it was a MIM Classic Player with a Fender logo... but thats just me. It's not that I'm embarrassed to own a Squier (not at all).. it's just that I feel this model deserves it.

Your Mileage May Vary.

Pics may come later.

I'll update this on the insides when I get to it... but I'm not doing anything to it (or any other guitar) until my '64 Jaguar is finally done!

Cool

edit: True to the first-generation Duos and Musicmasters, this is NOT an offset body, at least not by much. However, it is contoured on the back with the tummy cut and IIRC the originals were slab bodies.
Not a very welcoming bunch, are you? (with apologies to the reasonable people on here)
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

*sigh*

We're more than welcoming actually, I just find it tedious that you would choose to link entire threads from your board (sometimes just starting a new thread with a link to another) rather than just copying the content here for us to discuss in line, you'll get a lot more replies and interest if stuff is right there to read, otherwise it just comes off as lazy. I don't see how it's hard to edit your original post and copy the BBcode into a new post here.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

See how easy it is?