HAPPY NEW FLBGD!

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Thanks! I used to have a guitar pro tab thing* of the whole album, as one continuous song. It was great.

Apart from that I've beer working on my sight-reading by grabbing random jazz transcriptions for The Real Books and playing those. Since starting this PGCE and spending lots of time with musicians (as young as eleven) I've realised how awful I am at sight-reading.

* - I think that's what it's called. Where you downloaded a player then the song file and it played it through for you. Kind of like how songsterr works but not browser based.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Bacchus wrote:
James wrote: I know you're into the Jaco sound but if you want to give tapewound a go PM me your address and I'll send them your way.
Not sure if this is directed at me but if so I will definitely take you up on this, but after I've managed to get an amp and know what I'm doing with the round wounds that are on it.

One of the things I'm finding challenging/fun is that in the past I've played mostly P-basses with heavy strings on them, so that's what my picking technique was developed on. This wee skinny neck with the low action and slinky strings feels weird, and that's before getting into the intonation and feel issues in the left hand.
My fretless had round wounds on when I got it, and they have marked the 'board slightly, although it is maple so perhaps a little softer.

I have to admit to preferring the feel of heavier strings on a bass - especially as I am learning how to play with my fingers now, instead of a pick.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I never really got the point of lighter strings on a bass. With a decent setup heavy strings are as easy to fret as light ones, and it's not likely that you are going to be doing crazy bends on a bass anyway. So it all matters how easy the picking hand finds things, and my picking hand prefers heavy strings that stay where they are.

Still enjoying trying these ones, mind.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Yeah, the need for bends on bass beyond a 1/2 or full step are petty rare; heavy strings are ace :D
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press