1962 Tonemaster

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

61fury

Post by 61fury »

Nothing interesting to add but it's beautiful, weird and sounds great .And for once I can actually hear the difference between the settings.
apreswho

Post by apreswho »

Punkacc9 wrote:That thing was made in a drum factory haha.
haha it does look a bit like a wrap
HNB

Post by HNB »

I picked up some new knobs for the Tonemaster since the stock ones were repaired. (I didn't want to risk damaging them more, so I have them in the case in a bag.) I noticed the tone pot was sitting lower than the volume.

ImageIMG_6559 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Once the guard was off... things got weird.

ImageIMG_6560 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6561 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6562 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6565 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6570 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6567 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6569 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

So PLYWOOD. Loads of electrical work. Metal plates. CRAZY stuff. The layers of plywood are cut into different shapes. Looks like it would be a pain in the ass to build. The edges that look rounded over are different layers of wood. Going to order some new 250k pots for it to help level the knobs up. Thought I would share the pics since I couldn't find any gut shots of these. Really cool looking for something from 1962....
WayToHip

Post by WayToHip »

WHOA, That wiring job looks like a pain in the ass to assemble or fix. I wonder though why plywood was used, the body looks needlessly complicated.
HNB

Post by HNB »

I am guessing because the way it is build is in different shaped layers that have different interior shapes as each layer goes up. It looks very complicated to me as well. Very interesting.
HNB

Post by HNB »

Pots came in and I got it wired back up. Knobs haven't come in yet. I also put in new truss rod cover screw. Was a pain finding small screws that were slotted like the others on the guitar. They are bigger than the tiny ones it had, but they will work. (One of the three screws was missing.) A few frets were a little lose, so I pulled them out gently and put some wood glue in and pressed them firmly back in place. Tomorrow I will put new strings on.

20140421_215518 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

20140421_215607 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Here are what the new knobs look like. They are similar to the stock ones. I think the metal accents will look good with the guitar's features and they are quirky like the guitar.

Knobs by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr
HNB

Post by HNB »

So the knobs came.. and in spite of them being sold as for 1/4 pots, they were too small so I ordered a different set that were said to be vintage. I thought they looked cool and were pretty cheap considering they are metal. They fit great and look pretty sweet. Not like the stock ones, but seem to fit it well imho.

ImageIMG_6817 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6818 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6819 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6820 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

i saw one of these in a shop in manhattan the other day.... such an odd finish
George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.