Teletubby cont (PAINT)....

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

mage wrote:um, I see a problem. between the bridge and bridge pickup there's gonna be hole. you should get a pickguard to cover it.
haha, my plan is to fill it with part of a 2x4 in any case...
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

...I lied again and kept the thing nominally assembled/wired up longer than I should have, just because it was so fun to have lying on the couch to pick up and strum, not having to worry about the aesthetics or anything...

I will say that the 25.5" scale and even 10s (I had 11s on for a while, bending was as predicted lol) creates a huge string tension difference between my Jag/Stang and this guitar... Fretting an F in the first position feels more like an acoustic than I'm really too comfortable with in the first place, so no string trees on the stock 8)

Anyway, since I'm unemployed and without school, I dug it up to distract me from the job search (and also because I almost decided to just part it out on ebay for some extra cash :()

But instead I managed to do the following:

Yeah, so about 3 months ago I filled that little portion of Tele route with bondo expecting it to shrink slightly, it did, filled it again and figured any amount that it could shrink further would be inconsequential to me. That said there is now no visible evidence at the primer level at least, of the Tele routes or string through holes :) I used the bondo to clean up the route shape at the bottom there, where things are going to show... I have a few little runs I need to sand out that hopefully won't be a problem.

I ALMOST decided to fill in all the crazy MIM routing and go with no guard...

Color will be this:

...Also I repaired the tiny crack at the ass end of the neck that made it such a bargain in the first place... The neck will need a bit of professional fretwork once it's all together however, as things get weird above the 15th fret (and I might just take a stab at it myself...) Something fun is the fact that the polepiece space between the two pups is actually the same as a Jag's (course the bridge pup is relatively much closer to the neck...)

As for the electronics, since the SD JM hots I have are rated at like, 14k for the bridge anyway, I figured I might as well stick the borrowed Stag Mag I have lying around under a JM cover... In theory it has magnet polepieces, as a Widerange, but not made of magic metal so. With my 5 way switch I'm sure I can do some silly splits/parallels on it...

I get the feeling this is going to be one of those Bastard Fender mutts that Jcyphe (and probably everyone else, more secretly) hates, but I actually like the thing (stylewise a bit more than the stock Tele even), although I still hate the Tele body shape haha. Plus it was all for the right price...
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

oh wow, i had forgotten about this!
good progress, i want to see some more,
btw, i thought we were in negotiations for that jap trem?
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

robert(original) wrote:oh wow, i had forgotten about this!
good progress, i want to see some more,
btw, i thought we were in negotiations for that jap trem?
haha, iirc you didn't want it at that point because I claimed that it "might not work" (which it didn't when I eventually tried it).

So I took the guts from an allparts trem and just used the jap plate... If you still want the old guts from the trem, every part of it is fine aside from the knife edge part, which was filed down improperly and makes the trem do crazy things... I've assembled it together again with the allparts plate, if you fabricate/find another edge, you'll have something proper for a project.

If you still really want the non-working jap trem with the allparts plate (including an allparts arm) I'll ship it out for free...
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

oh yeah, now i remember.
i had forgotten.
actually, i have a servicemen jag trem, well parts of it anyway, the top and the under trem plate.
send that shit! i might be able to make it work, i shall pays for the shippzoroz and some extra buckz for the troublez with tribblez.
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

yo PM sent
Haze

Post by Haze »

damn, i forgot about this thing too, but it's lookin pretty damn sweet. nice job on filling in the body work
can't wait to see this thing w/ that paint colour
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

...Wow, someone's interested who I don't owe parts :lol:

Well, here we go, you don't have to wait too long... It needs clear tho so.

I can't get the color to come out perfectly while it's hanging from my vice in the shop... It's probably a bit more orange. Bright shiny penny.

I need to head to the 'zone to get more paint though, the stock don't match yet.

Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

Beautiful.
How thick is that paint?
If you think of god as a pair of pants, a spiritualist thinks he needs pants, in fact he wants pants but none of the conventional types of pants seem to fit just right, so he makes his own pants and is happy that his knees are no longer cold.-fibus
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

haha, well I emptied two cans of primer to the entirety of the thing, and nearly four cans of autozone duplicolor, so it's really not THAT thick but I didn't want it to be... And I've got a few cans of clear to cover it with to make it nice and glossy and keep up the bulk 8)

I'm still contemplating a pearl white stripe down the side, but it looks sooo perfect the way it is...
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

It's looking nice and smooth, and a pearl white stripe would be rather interesting.

I hadn't even realized you were using autozone paint, haha
If you think of god as a pair of pants, a spiritualist thinks he needs pants, in fact he wants pants but none of the conventional types of pants seem to fit just right, so he makes his own pants and is happy that his knees are no longer cold.-fibus
Haze

Post by Haze »

MIND FUCK
seriously, that thing looks fuckin sweet
if the orange is dark enough, i dont see how a pearl stripe could mess it up, in fact i think it would like crazy good
going to be an epic guitar
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

...can't sleep. Realized I didn't follow the clearcoat directions like, at all, but I don't care cause oh well, my guitar is shiny and hopefully the paint won't have all flaked off in a couple days :lol: Yeah, it's shiny, but even though I can live with it, I might give it a wetsand/hit it with another coat of clear in about a week once the paint's cured. My mind is leisurely enough on the white stripe that I can't commit to it, and if anything it will eventually manifest in cheap white tape format. No new pics of the body til it's bolted to something/has something new installed, I promise.

Anyway, managed to get the stock done.

A regular complaint of mine is people taking shitty, allparts/mighty mite/squier stock truss necks (like this one) and whilst matching the stock, paint right over the black thing. As an affront to those kinds of people, well, I just plain didn't do that. Anyway this'll give a decent account of the color...

Isn't she cute? All the kids in Brooklyn donated their pennies to be melted down for the construction... :) Too bad there's no copper Teletubby, I should have thought this through better. Won't my shitty matte black locking tuners look great on this? :P

I think my axe is purdy.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Lovely.
Baaan012

Post by Baaan012 »

i love venture bros!!! but i love frisky dingo betterrr
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

I'm so out of it that I don't even really know what Frisky Dingo is... But 'docks nearly ties with VB for me 8) I only caught all the last season of VB (and Boondocks) on my own time on the website, last season started off really promising what with the origin of Billy and White eps, but then sooo fucking was a letdown compared to either of the previous seasons... Too much guild nonsense, not enough Hank, Dean (or Treana or Orpheus). I think they're working too hard to actually be coherent now and tie things up, but incoherency totally made that show.
Baaan012

Post by Baaan012 »

agreed on everything you just said. . . but seriously, go watch frisky dingo its like a season and a half of 15 minute episodes but you'll literally wet yourself. . .
Haze

Post by Haze »

matte black hardware? tasty
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

lol, only the tuners are matte... Everything else is chrome. It would be gold if I was richer 8)

The tuners are actually formerly St. Jimmy's, from his Squier Strat... I test fitted them on the headstock post painting... They look awful, awful, awful, I really don't like the look. At all... :lol:

Once I've got a err job, I'll get these, or something like them:

The lockers that I have would use different holes than the headstock has, but I'm not even going to bother drilling them... Making them super temporary. But I can't waste money on parts like that now...

...Anyway, I've deduced that I'm going to let the body sit for a week to let the paint cure, spray another coat of clear so that I can wait ANOTHER week and have enough substance to be sure that my first attempt at wetsanding won't end in too much failure... I figure I ought to take my time, do it right etc... And I'm posting this here so that if I do something stupid and rush, you guys can call me out :lol: The body looks ok, but after setting it next to my Jag, there's no contest and I really do need to wetsand.

I figure I've made it look good enough to this point that I really need to do it right from this point on... Believe me, I planned on this thing looking a lot shittier and being able to not care or invest myself.
Haze

Post by Haze »

i've got a pair of chrome tuners off a squire strat that i don't see me using for a long time. Think you would care for them?