Hi-flier love

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Sparky

Post by Sparky »

I bumped up the string gauge on my phase 3 to .11s and it's back in great playing shape. Go me! :P
65fenvox

Post by 65fenvox »

wim wrote:
65fenvox wrote:I have 2 hi-fliers. A phase 2 and phase 4.
Pictures here-Half way down the page.

http://www.jag-stang.com/forum/viewtopi ... &start=280
very nice phase 2 ! never really liked natural finish but I still like your phase 4 :)
Thanks! Yeah the phase 4 just screams 70's!!! A shit load of guitars from the 1970's were natural. I'm not even one for maple necks, but its not like I had a choice. It was the only one they ever had, and I just swooped it up.
Now with eBay, theres no finding Univox's at pawn shops anymore. If you do find one, they want like 400 bucks for it! And they aren't worth that imo.
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

i have a hi-flyer bass that's beat to fuck. sloan sold it to me. i don't have the time to put all the work into it that it needs to make it half-way decent.

50 bucks and it's YOURS.
Sublimedo

Post by Sublimedo »

St. Jimmy wrote:i have a hi-flyer bass that's beat to fuck. sloan sold it to me. i don't have the time to put all the work into it that it needs to make it half-way decent.

50 bucks and it's YOURS.
wish i had 50 bux :( why so cheap? is in that bad of shape? Did the beach weather get it too? I love those things
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

Sublimedo wrote:
St. Jimmy wrote:i have a hi-flyer bass that's beat to fuck. sloan sold it to me. i don't have the time to put all the work into it that it needs to make it half-way decent.

50 bucks and it's YOURS.
wish i had 50 bux :( why so cheap? is in that bad of shape? Did the beach weather get it too? I love those things
the pots need to be replaced prolly. i had to epoxy the neck on because the screws/neck holes are kinda fuckred. needs new bridge. finish is all fucked. i will post pics later when i'm home.
65fenvox

Post by 65fenvox »

St. Jimmy wrote:
Sublimedo wrote:

50 bucks and it's YOURS.
the pots need to be replaced prolly. i had to epoxy the neck on because the screws/neck holes are kinda fuckred. needs new bridge. finish is all fucked. i will post pics later when i'm home.

I've played 2 or 3 Hi-flier basses, all with those humbuckers. They were a lot easier to find when I spent the whole summer on a pawnshop, Univox hunt.
They don't sound good IMO, kinda farty. The phase 1 & 2's probably sounded better.
The big problem with hi-fliers, especially the basses, is that when not supported the necks drop down because of the shape and weight of the body.
If your a lefty and string it upside down, you wont have that problem.