What colours are competition Mustangs made of?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

James
Nutmeg

What colours are competition Mustangs made of?

Post by James »

For example the orange one is Capri Orange with a Dakota Red stripe, or a stripe in between Fiesta and Dakota. (I know it's not really capri orange)

The main three I want to know about are the classic Red, Blue and Orange but I'd also like to know for the newer Japanese models that have a wider range of colours. Also feel free to dump a load of pictures in this thread, vintage or re-issue.
Last edited by James on Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shabba.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I can't help you here, but I'm looking forward to the idea of a thread filled with Comp Mustangs! That's always a good thing.
PLEASE!!!... Tell Me About the Fuckin' Golf Shoes!
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

the blue ones were LPB blue with a sonic or daphne blue stripe (i could never decide which).

there's the whole purpleburst debate, but i've never seen a satisfactory answer to that one.

the red ones were CAR with an olympic white stripe.

James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

I would guess it's Daphne.

Is that definitely Olympic White? I suppose it was probably the only white they did at the time.
Shabba.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

the blue stripes look quite dark in that photo but there were bits near the bottom strap button where you could see the original colour showing through the patina and it was lighter. mike might be able to have a look and take a photo.
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

The blue ones are, I believe, Ocean Turquoise Metallic (OTM). Stripe is closer to Daphne than Sonic blue.
One of mine, a 1970 guitar, is now green due to yellowing. My 1971 Comp mustang bass is still blue.
I have seen a purpleburst in person, and it is gorgeous. A blue that has changed to purple over the years.
A Whole Bunch of Guitars. Some with sparkles. Some with Pearl. Some with racing stripes.