Fender Classic Player Jag mod question

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Tweedhead

Fender Classic Player Jag mod question

Post by Tweedhead »

So I have a classic player Jaguar

It has a Tune-o-matic bridge but I'm planning on restoring it to original (ish) parts.
I'm wondering if the Mustang (or Jag / Jazz) bridge will suit the 9.5 inch radius of the
classic player neck. I'm also wondering if changing the bridge would negatively effect
the string angle down to the tail piece since it's closer to the bridge on the CP series.

Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

String height would be weird. If you go Jag bridge, you could adjust that, but you'd end up with the same thing you started with - a flat radius, only without as much stability due to it being a rocking bridge.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Yeah, Jag bridge can be adjusted to 9.5", Mustang cannot. That said, Warmoth has a Mustang style bridge with height adjustable saddles, which would work.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Would the post holes even line up? You'd also be missing the cups unless you put those in also.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Tweedhead

Post by Tweedhead »

Pens wrote:Would the post holes even line up? You'd also be missing the cups unless you put those in also.
I would have to buy the thimbles, yes.
The Tune-o-matic doesn't have the same sort of post holes so I'd have to make new ones regardless.
rlm2112

Post by rlm2112 »

Let me save you some time. I've tried this with the same guitar, and I could never get it set up right. My advice is to leave it as is, or sell it and get an MIJ jag.
NJjoanjettfan wrote: Boy am I glad I got my Fender Lead II and Lead III when I did. I've even swapped off the necks to save the originals from wear.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Tweedhead wrote:
Pens wrote:Would the post holes even line up? You'd also be missing the cups unless you put those in also.
I would have to buy the thimbles, yes.
The Tune-o-matic doesn't have the same sort of post holes so I'd have to make new ones regardless.
Well, okay then. If you want to do all that drillin. Send me your old bridge then.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

As an experiment I stuck my 7.25 Jagstang neck and bridge on the CP Jag (straight into the threaded thimbles too!) and it worked out fine enough but that bridge and neck is matched of course. The only thing that irks me is that the GFS roller bridge I have in it currently feels AMAZING with the trem and string bends but the mismatched radius annoys me. The stock AOM is mismatched anyway (FACT) Sure you can file the grooves down BUT the roller, for the feel, is ten times better. Catch 22 for me. Why doth no one in the world make drop-in roller bridges for 7.25 and 9.5? In all honesty the roller feels so good I'd consider it for any trem guitar over any other kind of bridge.

Anyways - you can also shim up the saddles on a mustang bridge to the right radius but would require a little experimenting - maybe use washers, or copper shilding in layers under the saddle. Otherwise plump for the warmoth bridge, or Graphtech Mustang Saddles which are adjustable.

I'm a stickler for pristine set up and action so if you're not you may not find any of this a bother. As it is you're playing on a mismatched radius bridge - a mustang bridge is just mismatched the opposite way meaning your middle strings will be higher rather than the outer one as they currently will be...
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

i would say just use one of the new blacktop jazzmaster bridges, which are like a combination of mustang and jaguar bridges with a radius of 9.5".

haze did this or something similar to hims jap jag HH, right? will look for that thread.

EDIT: http://shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37533
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.