mustang wiring

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

sp3k

mustang wiring

Post by sp3k »

I don't really like the way mustangs are wired. Is there a way to use just one switch has a normal 3 way switch (neck,both,bridge)?
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Sure. You will just loose the out of phase sounds. I love how they did the wiring on the Mustang Special where the toggles control the coil splitting and the 3 way Gibson switch controls the pickup selection.

I am finishing Mustang that will have standard wiring and a Jag-stang that will have the Mustang Special wiring.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

This is the stock wiring
► Show Spoiler
This is a much better way of wiring that includes one of the switches acting as a standard 3-way
► Show Spoiler
You could of course have the second switch have a different function. For example you could still have it reverse the phase so you don't lose that switching option (though few people actually use it).
Shabba.
Phil O'Keefe

Post by Phil O'Keefe »

taylornutt wrote:Sure. You will just loose the out of phase sounds. I love how they did the wiring on the Mustang Special where the toggles control the coil splitting and the 3 way Gibson switch controls the pickup selection.

I am finishing Mustang that will have standard wiring and a Jag-stang that will have the Mustang Special wiring.
Add a 250k pot (volume or tone) with a built-in DPDT switch and you can wire it for the in-phase / out of phase too, while still keeping the stock Special's coil splitting switches and three-way pickup selector - and without having to drill any new holes or visually modify the guitar. :)
rlm2112

Post by rlm2112 »

I think the best way to wire a mustang is to use a right angle 3 way toggle (route the lower horn), a bronco or musicmaster pickguard (route for the other pickup), and you're done. But that's just me.
NJjoanjettfan wrote: Boy am I glad I got my Fender Lead II and Lead III when I did. I've even swapped off the necks to save the originals from wear.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

rlm2112 wrote:I think the best way to wire a mustang is to use a right angle 3 way toggle (route the lower horn), a bronco or musicmaster pickguard (route for the other pickup), and you're done. But that's just me.
Why drill a hole in the body and pickguard when you have ample switches already? There are enough repeated switch options with the stock wiring that you can use the two 3-way switches and not lose anything.

The only reason I can think of is preferring a toggle to a slide switch, but it really doesn't take that long to move the slide switch.
Shabba.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Am I the only person who thinks that the built-in switches are genius?
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

honeyiscool wrote:Am I the only person who thinks that the built-in switches are genius?
In what way are they genius?
Shabba.
sp3k

Post by sp3k »

Thanks James, i'll use that one for now.

I'm thinking of putting a humbucker on the mustang, so the perfect wiring would be a 3 way switch for neck, both, bridge, and the other switch o act has a coil slitter. I havent found anything like this, guess i'll just have to learn how guitar wiring and this switches work.
rlm2112

Post by rlm2112 »

James wrote:
rlm2112 wrote:I think the best way to wire a mustang is to use a right angle 3 way toggle (route the lower horn), a bronco or musicmaster pickguard (route for the other pickup), and you're done. But that's just me.
Why drill a hole in the body and pickguard when you have ample switches already? There are enough repeated switch options with the stock wiring that you can use the two 3-way switches and not lose anything.

The only reason I can think of is preferring a toggle to a slide switch, but it really doesn't take that long to move the slide switch.
Good point. I wouldn't do that to an actual mustang. I just did it on a project I made.
NJjoanjettfan wrote: Boy am I glad I got my Fender Lead II and Lead III when I did. I've even swapped off the necks to save the originals from wear.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

James wrote:In what way are they genius?
They work, they make sense, and if you like phase options, they're great.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

True genius is less vague and discriminate than that, surely.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

I don't know. I don't know what's so great about the N/NM/M/MB/B switch that everybody feels the need to copy them either.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

honeyiscool wrote:
James wrote:In what way are they genius?
They work, they make sense, and if you like phase options, they're great.
Agreed. The only thing that doesn't make sense is that the switches are 1) in an awkward place and 2) hard to toggle.
sp3k

Post by sp3k »

I think i get how the switches work now. Do you guys think this will work for two pickups and only one switch (neck/both/bridge)?
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

Here
► Show Spoiler
Life is "Pointless......but manageable"
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

How easy is it to add a Series option to the standard Mustang wiring? Any one have a diagram for it?

I am really close to wiring up my Mulletstang and wondered if it was easy to add Series to it.

I like the normal wiring scheme with out of phase options. I also like how the switches are recessed on the Mustang Special.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
bradzeera

Post by bradzeera »

I would love to see a set up of bridge/both/neck and the other switch reverse phase/normal/high pass filter, that way your not losing tonal options.
michaeltullo

Post by michaeltullo »

bradzeera wrote:I would love to see a set up of bridge/both/neck and the other switch reverse phase/normal/high pass filter, that way your not losing tonal options.
i was thinking of doing something like this for my build, so far it hasn't gotten much farther than the thought though, as all I have is the body so far, and must sand, paint, aquire the rest of the parts before I start worrying about wiring
bradzeera

Post by bradzeera »

michaeltullo wrote:
bradzeera wrote:I would love to see a set up of bridge/both/neck and the other switch reverse phase/normal/high pass filter, that way your not losing tonal options.
i was thinking of doing something like this for my build, so far it hasn't gotten much farther than the thought though, as all I have is the body so far, and must sand, paint, aquire the rest of the parts before I start worrying about wiring
If you do plz let me know how it works out.