Sampleing question.

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

IroniaSudby

Sampleing question.

Post by IroniaSudby »

Don't know if this is the right part of the forum to post in but w/e.

Lets say you have an EMU SP1200, and you are going to sample some records to that machine for some beat making. Lets say you have a high prices turntable, like a music hall mmf-5.1 with a good needle. Is it okay to use this expensive turntable for sampling. What im getting at is that from what i've seen. Sampleing requires some of spinning the record in the opposite direction which could make that scratch noise or something. Will any of that damage my system in anyway, or is it better to not spin it in the opposite direction. I dont know.

Anyone?
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

By sampling (you drop the E when adding the ING) I'm guessing you mean scratching? As in this...

[youtube][/youtube]
Shabba.
IroniaSudby

Post by IroniaSudby »

In a sense, without all that scratching nonsense. Im talking about sampling which goes into making many hip hop albums. Take record, find part to sample, Have the turntable connected to the mixer then to the sampler and sample that part. The sampler cuts the music into parts so you can find which ever crap you want to use from it.
rich

Post by rich »

sample then reverse that sample. blammo. time stretch if needed.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

:?:

sampling doesn't involve scratching, unless you're sampling a scratch...

so it won't damage your record player, as all you're doing is recording a snippet from the record.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Wut Stewart said. You're just recording what you want. I've never used a sampler machine because your average PC and most any software will do this. I use Sound Forge to record the bit i want and then chop it down exactly having beatmatched (if it's got a beat) so that it loops perfectly in time. You can take this sample into a sequencer thingy like AcidPro and paste in as many instances of the sample as you like and even chop the individial beats out and rearrange them - I believe this is how many hip hop and breakcore types do it..

I suspect you need to research a bit on the techniques of the kind of music you're after.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Odd thread is odd.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

So my guess is that you want to record your own samples from vinyl to a digital sampler and you're worried that the part where you line up the sample (which may involved moving the record back and forth slowly by hand to find the correct point) might damage some part of your turntable system?
Shabba.
vivadeluxxe

Post by vivadeluxxe »

IroniaSudby wrote:Im talking about sampling which goes into making many hip hop albums. Take record, find part to sample, Have the turntable connected to the mixer then to the sampler and sample that part. The sampler cuts the music into parts so you can find which ever crap you want to use from it.
I'm not familiar with EMU samplers, but I've had a fair amount of experience sampling from vinyl using the Akai S3000, which I think is from a similar era...
It's basically a question of lining up the part of the vinyl track you want to sample a few seconds before happens, then recording the whole section into the sampler, it doesn't matter if you catch parts either side that you don't want...
You would then need to edit and trim sample inside the sampler to the desired length so that it will loop or trigger in time when played by the sequencer...
As Dave sed, it's a fairly archaic way of doing things, unless you've a pacific reason for using and outboard sampler, it's gonna be far easier to use an audio editing program on a PC...
If you are gonna do it old school, you'd be best off finding a manual first as those old samplers are really not intuitive at all....
IroniaSudby

Post by IroniaSudby »

Yeah, i think i got it. I couldnt phrase the question right but in my mind. It's a okay. Thanks guys.

Odd thread is odd.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

vivadeluxxe wrote:Akai S3000
there was a S3000 sitting in a cash converters up the road for ages, i was half tempted by it just to have sitting around. it wasn't so long ago that they were the top of the range sampling tool.