Multi-track recording questions

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

cobascis

Multi-track recording questions

Post by cobascis »

What is the cheapest way of recording a minimum of 6 tracks simultaneously onto a DAW, (garageband or logic in my case) and having these tracks come up on the computer in 6 seperate tracks for mixing? It seems that getting a Behringer Xenyx would be the cheapest, but I was looking at:

http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/FireW ... /index.php

It says 6 inputs, but I only see 4. Would this suit my needs? I don't have to have a mixer, I just want to do bare bone drums (4 mics, tracks) and bass and guitar (2 tracks) all at once. Firewire is nice, too.

Eh?
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

the S/PDIF In is a digital stereo input. so, another two channels. you need something that outputs digital audio to use it though. like this little mixer for example.........

cobascis

Post by cobascis »

Could I not get the job done with this alone?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... annel.html

It says it is an audio interface, too. So I wouldn't need to get a firewire sound card or w/e.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

well, there's only four pre-amps. the rest are just line-in. so if you're planning on using six mics you will have to get two more pre-amps.

otherwise.... yeah, that will work.
cobascis

Post by cobascis »

Mages wrote:well, there's only four pre-amps. the rest are just line-in. so if you're planning on using six mics you will have to get two more pre-amps.

otherwise.... yeah, that will work.
I have two ART TubeMP pres that I can use.. Will probably get better sound with them anyway for those two channels. Anyway, cool.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

oh ok, yeah totally. I would reserve those for things like the bass and/or kick. because they're tube they have a little more low end to them.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

you should watch:
[youtube][/youtube]

With the Xenyx 1204USB you can't record all the inputs onto seperate tracks. The USB is a stereo in/out signal, so you can get max 2 tracks (by panning hard left and right). An interface which allows you to record onto 6 individual tracks is gonna cost a lot more, something like: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/M-Audio-Fast-Track-Ultra-8R-USB-Interface?sku=482555
Last edited by DanHeron on Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
cobascis

Post by cobascis »

DanHeron wrote:you should watch: [youtube][/youtube]

you cant record all the inputs onto seperate tracks on the PC. It's just the main stereo output through the USB.
Really?? This is essentially my only requirement: to be able to record drums with each mic on a seperate channel in logic. I thought the USB interface would be able to do that... :(
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

ahhh, so you would have to create a sub-mix. sucks, but you could still just take some time to get a working drum mix and then just record the stereo mix. it wouldn't be anything like as flexible as if you had all the separate tracks. but it could still work. don't know if you need this interface to do this, you could use literally any cheapo mixer with literally any cheapo two channel interface and get the same results.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

Yeah. I posted a couple of options in Doogs thread. They are a bit more pricey though than a mixer with the same amount of inputs.
cobascis

Post by cobascis »

Mages wrote:ahhh, so you would have to create a sub-mix. sucks, but you could still just take some time to get a working drum mix and then just record the stereo mix. it wouldn't be anything like as flexible as if you had all the separate tracks. but it could still work. don't know if you need this interface to do this, you could use literally any cheapo mixer with literally any cheapo two channel interface and get the same results.
Yeah, I have a peavey mixer that I have been connecting via a 1/8 cable to my audio in on my Powerbook. I'm really looking to get the flexibility of multitrack recording... hmm. Any other cheapo mixers or interfaces offer this? The edirol?
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

well I think beyond four inputs you're moving into more midrange priced gear. stuff like dan recommend or the presonus firestudio or the focusrite saffire pro 40. I just got the focusrite. I don't really have a place to set up my gear right now though so I haven't tried it out yet.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

check it out musicians friend has used Saffire Pro 40s for like $350. that's a really good deal. they are usually $500 and they're probably the best option in the their price range IMO.
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

You should also be able to find Presonus Firepods (8 channel) for around 300 or less used Dots and I have both had them.

I used to run a xenyx 2442 into it. The 2442 had direct outs for the first 8 channels, so I used the xenyx as my sound board and then just took the direct outs into the presonus with firewire out to the computer. It gave me an awesome sounding live system that could easily be used for live recording up to 8 chanels at once with almost zero hassle.

Of course, even used, that would run you about 600-700 for the 2 pieces and connecting cables.
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

I have 2 different set ups that I use for recording.
The first one is pci based and uses 4 A/D converters giving me 24 tracks of audio in/out plus 2 midi channels and 2 spdif. 2 of the cards handle 8 audio, 1 midi, 1 spdif each and the other 2 are straight 4 audio in/out. It's all routed through a 24X8 analog mixing desk that I use to preamp the mic signals and return to mix on. It's a major (old school) pain in the ass because I use it the same way I usta' record to tape and it's all routed through patch bays. It also requires a dedicated tower pc (with enough pci slots) to run all 4 cards/breakout boxes, video cards and the recording software.
The second, easier, set up I have is 2 Firepod interfaces that connect to a laptop via firewire. They are self contained and have built in preamps so there is no need for any kind of mixing desk to get input signals to your computer. Running 2 of them daisy chained gives me 16 tracks of audio in/out plus 2 channels of midi and 2 spdif.
The firepod has been replaced by a newer release by Presonus called the Firestudio, but the ones I have still hold up well and will do everything you want. If you can pick one up for cheap you will get 8 xlr/line inputs that you can plug microphones directly into with very little hassle.
Last edited by rodvonbon on Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is "Pointless......but manageable"
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

mickie08 wrote:You should also be able to find Presonus Firepods (8 channel) for around 300 or less used Dots and I have both had them.
Haha, Mickie beat me to post on the Firepod. It's really a 10 channel converter because it supports 8 audio 1 midi and 1 spdif in/out.
Big bang for the buck.
cobascis

Post by cobascis »

so you'd heartily reccomend this guy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Presonus-Firepod-Fi ... 4aa5a49f75

looks perfect!
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

yeah the firepod. that's the one I was thinking of. I guess they stopped making it though, that's why I couldn't find it. but they do make this little guy with 8 inputs:

http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail ... oductId=58
cobascis

Post by cobascis »

Mages wrote:yeah the firepod. that's the one I was thinking of. I guess they stopped making it though, that's why I couldn't find it. but they do make this little guy with 8 inputs:

http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail ... oductId=58
Why do they word this in a different language [to me]?
ten-input, six-output professional recording system
So -- this can do 8 tracks simultaneously whilst dividing them into 8 individual tracks on the DAW for later mixing? If so, I'm liking the size aspect, though I may go with the firepod for cheapness.

Thanks for all the advice!

EDIT: but the line inputs seemingly done have preamp... eh?
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

I was wrong before, the Firepod was replaced by the FP10. I haven't looked through the specs, but it looks to be essentially the same thing.

http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail ... roductID=3