How can I remove headstock decal?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Doug

How can I remove headstock decal?

Post by Doug »

I have a new Duo-Sonic. I'd like to replace the Squire decal with a replica of the original Fender decal.

How can I remove the decal without having to refinish the headstock?
Doug
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

nice, then it will play and sound just like a fender! ((rawk))

light grit sandpaper, and water.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Post by endsjustifymeans »

don't be that guy...
dots wrote:society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
wwrrss
COCKDESTROYER

Post by wwrrss »

why bother?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I think that without refinishing the headstock, it's going to look an awful lot like you got a Squier and put a Fender decal on it, which would be a terrible, terrible thing.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

The factory clear coats over the decal, so you will definitely have to sand the whole top of the headstock, apply the decal and spray clearcoat again. Unless you are planning to refinish the entire neck in a darker stain, don't bother.

Rock your Squier Classic Vibe Duo Sonic with pride! I know I do. Classic Vibe Squiers are da bomb!
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

endsjustifymeans wrote:don't be that guy...
twitter.com/skcwillie

follow me . . . . you won't
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

for a minute i thought that this was DOOG's thread, and i was all "WTF? DUDE? WHAT?"
and then i saw that its some new guy, named Doug..
and i'm all..
"WTF? DUDE? WHAT?"

mind you i'll be refinishing one myself.. but its no longer on the squier duo, and won't be getting a fender decal.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

the squier decal we ripped off Doogs squier telecaster now says FENDER DOOGCASTER

so doog kinda does have one. but it was a gift of love. not hate
dots wrote:incesticide
TexasSwede

Post by TexasSwede »

taylornutt wrote:Rock your Squier Classic Vibe Duo Sonic with pride! I know I do. Classic Vibe Squiers are da bomb!
Couldn't have said it better myself! Put your time and energy into a different pickguard or pickup upgrade.

Don't get hung up on the name, Squiers aren't always shit. Some of the Japanese and Korean Squiers were considered on par in quality with what was coming out of the parent company at the time. I happen to like post-2004 Squier Standards and tend to be impressed with the quality of the Indonesian ones over the Chinese. I'll admit, I like the CV series, however.

My advice is to play every used Standard you can find, and buy one you love. Then laugh when the the guy holdng a MIM gives you shit about the Squire on your headstock - because even after tweaking, you probably spent half of what he did!
Member on ReRanch wrote:Virtually EVERY SINGLE PROJECT over at Offset starts with a man, a dream, and a turd brown Jag/Jazz/Mustang.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Since I'm a relative newcomer here, guess I can take this opportunity to explain where I'm coming from.

I'm a lover of vintage, have several great old guitars...one is a pre-CBS Mustang...and bought this CV Duo-Sonic on a whim. Saw it in the used section of a little shop, it played great and was in immaculate shape. So I took it home and ordered a vintage-style strap, one of those thin ones from the 1950s? Just to have fun with the vintage image.

Then I wondered if I could replace the decal with a replica of the original 1959 decal. Not to misrepresent this obviously new guitar, but just to capture more of the retro image.

Sounds like I'd really need to refinish the headstock to accomplish what I'm envisioning...which is not worth the effort. But no problem. Because this CV Duo-Sonic's a good example of why lots of Squire guitars (and other makes, like Samick) deserve more respect. This is one of those "sleeper" guitars that happen to play & sound as good as many of the guitars that have cachet.

I'm a newcomer to electric guitars but I'm get'in fairly good at discriminating cachet from substance.
Doug
Haze

Post by Haze »

look at the thickness of the clear coat on the cv guitars, you see that? you ain't getting through that shit with a fucking blow torch, thats a fact. Leave it be. You'll have to sand through the entire face of the headstock and then try and spray an even clear coat back on, fucking pointless.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Somebody on here who I think mostly posts on Offsetguitars did this exact same project.

http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16803
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

serfx wrote:for a minute i thought that this was DOOG's thread, and i was all "WTF? DUDE? WHAT?"
and then i saw that its some new guy, named Doug..
and i'm all..
"WTF? DUDE? WHAT?"
Hahhaa, I actually thought the exact same thing when I saw the thread, then realised that I hadn't done such a thing.
robroe wrote:the squier decal we ripped off Doogs squier telecaster now says FENDER DOOGCASTER

And it looks fucking AMAZING <3

I don't think many people will be like "Oh man, I see you plumped for the Fender Doogmaster rather than the Squier one"
DICHOTOMY
BLOWN MINDS

Post by DICHOTOMY »

robroe wrote:the squier decal we ripped off Doogs squier telecaster now says FENDER DOOGCASTER

haha thats awesome
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

Doug wrote:Just to have fun with the vintage image.
Ok, well I don't want to take the stick out on you here but what you meant by that is so you can look at yourself slinging your guitar up close in a mirror and go "Gee-whiz, this vintageness sure is fun", right? Cause otherwise, the only people who are going to bother paying attention to the decal on your headstock are people that'll actually WANT TO KNOW whether it's vintage or not.
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

how many more years is it until squier is vintage?

they came out in 84' so like 2014 ?
dots wrote:incesticide
Haze

Post by Haze »

rob, everyone knows that anything in the 80s can't be "vintage"
broncobuster80

Post by broncobuster80 »

unless someone is doing a "doogcaster" or a "teleshiter" for a decal I dont think they should change the headstock. For real man, its not cool to take a squier guitar and add "fender" to it. If you wanted "VINTAGE" then you should have bought a "VINTAGE" guitar.
fat southern dude from Ends post wrote:so take that all you brand snobs.. you go buy all them high dollar f^<kn' gear, you still cant get tone like that. you know why? cause your a dumb @ss
moore65

Post by moore65 »

If I were you I'd get the Fender decal before sanding off the original cause they aren't easy to come by. And after you sand off the decal, you'll probably have to sand the rest of the headstock to get a matching tone, otherwise repaint/re-stain it.
Bronco Bass
Squier Strat w/Hot Rails,
flea market nylon classical,
Ibanez bass w/Quarter Pounder X 2
Union Jack DC Epiphone LP