Wathca "GASsin" for?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

GFS?

not noiseless granted, but they've got to be decent.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Possibly. I've actually owned four of their pickups (a strat set and a tele fatboy bridge) and heard none. I even sold all four on shortscale. The stock pickups aren't bad but I know they could be changed for something better. Perhaps GFS are worth a go. Will investigate varieties and prices.
Shabba.
mellowlogic

Post by mellowlogic »

I really want some kind of les paul. I was looking at some studios online because they're at least somewhat affordable. Not sure if I could get on with something that heavy though, I have a bad feeling I'd end up getting rid of it in a month. It's always hard to tell in the store if something like that is going to get irritating in the long run.
St. Jimmy wrote:i didn't put fuck-all in your mouth, other than a dick of truth.
hotrodperlmutter wrote:i wouldn't bang those chicks with gaybear's dick.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

The new studios (2008 and newer) are chambered and are really light. I kind of wish I waited (I bought one in classic white w/ebony fretboard and chrome hardware in 2007) but I kinda like it that way, makes it feel like a "REAL" les paul.....the weight isn't anything to worry about unless you're a panty waisted emo kid.

Currently I'm already gassing for a Rickenbacker 620/12 string in any color but mapleglo and I haven't even got my Jetglo 330 yet.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I want lots of things at the minute. I've been long looking forward to finishing Uni, starting work and having money to spend at last, so this is sort of several years of GAS built up.

Orange Dual Terror
Squier Classic Vibe '50's Strat,
Wilkinson VS100 bridge (for above strat)
Set of BKP Irish Tour pickups (for above strat)
Fender Baja Tele
Squier Duo-sonic
Some sort of 18-watt Marshall clone (I recently played a purple and cream one at a shop here and fell in love. It was so dark sounding)
Set of P-rails for the Artcore I bought off Reece
Shiva or Eau Claire Thunder
Some sort of Big Muff
Echo Base
Proper pedal board
Peavey Delta Blues
Presonus Firebox
Some mics
more harmonicas
some more mics
Microkorg

um, I think that's it. There might be one or two more things that I've forgotten about at the minute.

EDIT: I forgot about these

Marshall JVM100H (although I don't play in any heavy, loud bands at the minute, so it's not really necessary (haha, because the rest of this shit is crucial))
Some better speakers for my cab, probably Celestion V30's
Some sort of fretless bass, probably the Squier Jaco-a-like
mellowlogic

Post by mellowlogic »

Nick wrote:The new studios (2008 and newer) are chambered and are really light. I kind of wish I waited (I bought one in classic white w/ebony fretboard and chrome hardware in 2007) but I kinda like it that way, makes it feel like a "REAL" les paul.....the weight isn't anything to worry about unless you're a panty waisted emo kid.

Currently I'm already gassing for a Rickenbacker 620/12 string in any color but mapleglo and I haven't even got my Jetglo 330 yet.
Well that's intersting, I hadn't heard that. How would you rate the hardware on yours? I haven't actually been to the shop to check them out yet, but I'll more than likely check em out at guitar center or somethign and buy online.
St. Jimmy wrote:i didn't put fuck-all in your mouth, other than a dick of truth.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I really like mine, I'll have had it for two years this September.

Here's an article about the new chambering methods
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/P ... 20A%20Mar/

I do have a few little nitpicks, but they're not big.

First is there's no neck binding, and they clearcoat the side of the fretboard, so around the frets after some use the clearcoat on mine kind of bubbled up and chipped easily on the edges of the frets. Nobody notices this of course, and it doesn't affect playability in the slightest. I'm not sure if all studios are like this (I don't think the worn cherry/natural finishes have clearcoat on the neck or fretboard at all).

Other issue is the nuts are really kind of suck. I think this is just an issue with Gibson quality control in general. A friend of mine had a 2004 LP standard, after only less than a year of owning it, he had to put a little piece of paper under the G string to keep it from buzzing out. I'm starting to get a similar problem on my high E but I haven't moved to the paper trick just yet. It COULD just be a setup problem but I'll probably get a new nut for it anyway when the rest of my gear is straightened out

3 Way switch started to give me issues. It was my main guitar for a good year after I got it, but still. This is another really cheap fix, but a bit disappointing considering it's a Gibson.

The pickups sound AWESOME imo...I don't think I would ever change them. Hardware is nice, haven't seen a reason to change the tuners, and everything else is pretty class.
mellowlogic

Post by mellowlogic »

Awesome man, thanks a lot for the info. Gonna go read about the chambers :p
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

holyCATS1415 wrote:Image

late 70's jazzmaster sunburst with black guard.

or any jazzmaster.
one of those ^ just went on ebay UK for £1499. more than i expected, for some reason.

dead auction
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

othomas2 wrote:
Mike wrote:
othomas2 wrote:Orange Rocker 30 Combo / JCM 800 combo.

Would also quite like to try a 'real' OCD & a Catalinbread DLS

Maybe a Loop Station for home use too...
I believe you can find both of those pedals to play in Denmark St, should you want to.

Although I think the DLS is still hotcakes at the moment at Vintage & Rare.
o.k. cool. I did look at the V&R site and it does say they're sold out... might try snag hotcakes ;)

... not sure where I may find an OCD though. I still wonder if it would go one step further than the Dano, for me at least.

O
The sound difference is there for sure and you don't have the HP/LP functionality on the Dano.

The OCD is much less bright as it has no output buffer. It's less well behaved with other pedals as a result.

As you know I've built all these circuits and they all sound good, we're dealing with subtle differences at best.
finboy

Post by finboy »

holyCATS1415 wrote:Image

late 70's jazzmaster sunburst with black guard.

or any jazzmaster.
this but a jag

also still want but won't be buying any time soon...

new vox ac30 handwired (overpriced though, 2 grand for MIC amp that is still partially PCB)

i need power for my pedal board, along with a nice tremolo and i REALLY want boomerang to release a complete version of their boomerangIII

i still want a nice internal mic setup for my acoustic

i still need tools/some parts to finish my guitar projects
Marquischacha

Post by Marquischacha »

This makes me cry
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

It seems unlikely you'll ever come across an Electric amp like that in Wales, but keep in mind that the guy who runs it is supposed to be a massive cunt and you'd be much better off dealing with the English Matamp.
Shabba.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

finboy wrote:new vox ac30 handwired (overpriced though, 2 grand for MIC amp that is still partially PCB)
Them's is Matt Goods, right?
Marquischacha

Post by Marquischacha »

James wrote:It seems unlikely you'll ever come across an Electric amp like that in Wales, but keep in mind that the guy who runs it is supposed to be a massive cunt and you'd be much better off dealing with the English Matamp.
Yeah, I hear the guy is meant to be a prick, but a friend of mine near Swansea just bought a Green Head of some sort, I played it once and shit myself. Plus when I saw Sleep a few months back they had this wall of 'em.

I will never own one, but such is the nature of this 'GAS'.
benecol

Post by benecol »

The American Electric firm is just someone making Matamps - those Greens that Sleep were playing will all have been UK Matamp ones. Surprisingly cheap for what they are, too. And the Electric bods in the US are cuntoxes, too.
Marquischacha

Post by Marquischacha »

benecol wrote:The American Electric firm is just someone making Matamps - those Greens that Sleep were playing will all have been UK Matamp ones. Surprisingly cheap for what they are, too. And the Electric bods in the US are cuntoxes, too.

Yeah, when my mate told me what he paid for it (I don't remember), I recall being fairly surprised that it wasn't an absolute fuckload.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Am actually really content at the moment...the only things that were outstanding were dirt pedals, and I have found exactly what I need in the MBM Crunch Box and Catalinbread DLS.
One day I will buy a Tele. Rosewood board, double bound, LPB:

But I'm not gasing for it right now.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I've just remembered that I also want an accordion. Badly.
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

just noticed lamps signature. dam right brother :D
Fender Classic Player 60’s Stratocaster>East Coast T1 Tele>
Epiphone Les Paul SL>Ovation 12 String acoustic>Peavey Strat DIY Relic

Marshall Origin 20H>James’s old purple 2x10
Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST