Robert(OG) Jazzmaster project

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

astro

Post by astro »

I had also seriously considered painting the guitar bright yellow. There aren't enough yellow Fenders, IMHO.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

astro wrote:I had also seriously considered painting the guitar bright yellow. There aren't enough yellow Fenders, IMHO.
I think there is a reason for that. :P
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
bassintom

Post by bassintom »

astro wrote:I had also seriously considered painting the guitar bright yellow. There aren't enough yellow Fenders, IMHO.
OhShit..You're right.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
astro

Post by astro »

Well, it's been a while, but the world's longest finish job is finally over. I started painting this body in May, and only now I'm finally finished. I actually did the last few clear coats inside my apartment (yeah, I know) after the weather become cold and wet. It took forever as I had to balance work, school, and traveling and "life in general" stuff while getting this painted. The whole project has been a slow-motion one, I actually got this body from Rob OG back in January 2008...

So basically, the paint job consists of BIN primer --> Krylon Pumpkin Orange --> Dupli-Color Truck, Van & SUV clear coat (4 cans of clear). It's not perfect, but I'm quite happy with it. I wet sanded starting with 400 and worked my way up to 2000 grit. Hand buffed with 3M Finesse-It II for a glossy reflective finish. I'm quite happy with the cheapo Krylon for the colour coat, they have some cool colours so I'll use them again for future finishing projects.

The inside has been shielded with copper tape. The white pickguard is courtesy of Robert(Original) once again. The neck is a 2004 MIM Standard Strat neck. Bridge and trem are AVRI. I couldn't resist screwing everything together and stringing her up for a test drive. Already plays quite nicely, despite not having any kind of setup done. Still needs to have all the electronics wired up and soldered. It'll have a pair of SD Hot for Jazzmaster pickups, and the standard Fender values for the electronic guts. I have all the parts, just need to get soldering. In the meantime, here are some pics.

Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Niiice! It really looks the part.

Good Jorb ((thumup)
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

That looks MINT. Great work all round.
astro

Robert(Original) jazzmaster project, FINISHED! (sort of)

Post by astro »

OK, she's sort-of finished. In keeping with my tradition of fucking up when I solder things, everything works except the two roller knobs on the rhythm circuit. The switch works, when activated it is just the neck pickup with the different cap so it sounds like the rhythm circuit is supposed to. But turning the volume and tone rollers doesn't change anything, the volume and tone stay on maximum. Very strange, and I have no idea what I screwed up. Thankfully the main lead circuit works like it should. The SD Hot for Jazzmaster pickups sound fantastic!

Aeon

Post by Aeon »

do a demo!
iCEByTes

Re: Robert(Original) jazzmaster project, FINISHED! (sort of)

Post by iCEByTes »

astro wrote:OK, she's sort-of finished. In keeping with my tradition of fucking up when I solder things, everything works except the two roller knobs on the rhythm circuit. The switch works, when activated it is just the neck pickup with the different cap so it sounds like the rhythm circuit is supposed to. But turning the volume and tone rollers doesn't change anything, the volume and tone stay on maximum. Very strange, and I have no idea what I screwed up. Thankfully the main lead circuit works like it should. The SD Hot for Jazzmaster pickups sound fantastic!

Fantastic :shock:

Plus + for OG Body , Robert do Perfect top notch replicas.

Schematic for you checkup.

wire doing solder try use Heat Shrink Tubes for organization and careful not get cold joints.
Precise dwarf bravery
astro

Post by astro »

Thanks, ICEy. I used the same SD diagram when I hooked it all up. I do use heat shrink tubing, it helps keep things tidy and prevents shorting. As far as cold solder joints, it's always a possibility, I don't have a multi-meter to test the connections so I'm not sure how I can trouble shoot. The weird thing is that the rhythm circuit works in the sense that it makes sound, so I'm guessing the connections are good. Could it be possible that solder leaked into the mini pots, somehow freezing them in the fully on position?
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

Rythm switch warranty ?
Precise dwarf bravery
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Hot guitar looks hot.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

That is an ace colour for a jazz and fantastic work mate. Also noted the daphne with comp orange stripe for future project mustang project.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

Crazy-nice!

I would love to hear it trough your Concert Amp.
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

astro wrote:Thanks, ICEy. I used the same SD diagram when I hooked it all up. I do use heat shrink tubing, it helps keep things tidy and prevents shorting. As far as cold solder joints, it's always a possibility, I don't have a multi-meter to test the connections so I'm not sure how I can trouble shoot. The weird thing is that the rhythm circuit works in the sense that it makes sound, so I'm guessing the connections are good. Could it be possible that solder leaked into the mini pots, somehow freezing them in the fully on position?
Yep, if solder is joining the hot and wiper lugs they'll be stuck at permanently on.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

it looks lovely in that colour, but (dare i say) a rosewood fingerboard would make me do the kissy fingers thing, like i'd just tasted a nice cake.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

haha.. I agree, actually.

I'm not really a fan of Maple Necks on Jaguars or Jazzmasters.
astro

Post by astro »

Mike wrote:
astro wrote:Thanks, ICEy. I used the same SD diagram when I hooked it all up. I do use heat shrink tubing, it helps keep things tidy and prevents shorting. As far as cold solder joints, it's always a possibility, I don't have a multi-meter to test the connections so I'm not sure how I can trouble shoot. The weird thing is that the rhythm circuit works in the sense that it makes sound, so I'm guessing the connections are good. Could it be possible that solder leaked into the mini pots, somehow freezing them in the fully on position?
Yep, if solder is joining the hot and wiper lugs they'll be stuck at permanently on.
How do I know which ones are the hot and the wiper lugs? If this is the case, is it fixable or will I have to buy new pots to make it work?
astro

Post by astro »

laterallateral wrote:Crazy-nice!

I would love to hear it trough your Concert Amp.
I've been so tempted to crank up the Concert with the reverb maxed but I know the neighbor's would go apeshit... thankfully my Roland Micro Cube actually does a pretty respectable emulation of a Fender Blackface amp.
Mike wrote:haha.. I agree, actually.

I'm not really a fan of Maple Necks on Jaguars or Jazzmasters.
I like the maple on the orange, makes me think of sunshine. Nice warm look to that combo. However the maple fingerboard prevents me from making a matching headstock, those only look good with dark fingerboard woods in my opinion. If I swap the neck, I'll get one with an ebony board, to keep the guitar extra twangy.