How do you get the best from delay pedals?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Gavin
I Beat BBC News

How do you get the best from delay pedals?

Post by Gavin »

I used to have an Ibanez DE7. I really liked it but I sold it when I got rid of most of my gear to go travelling. It could do that cool self oscillating thing and if you turned down the time it would make that wooooooo-o-o-o-o-o---oo--oo------ooo sound like at the end of Karma Police. What delay did they use on Karma Police?

Anyway I bought Haze's Behringer DD600 and although I like the backwards function I think I probably preferred the DE7. The Behringer won't do the end of Karma Police thing. Anyway, I was fucking about with it for about an hour and realised that that's literally all I was doing. So please recommend me some interesting sounds and tricks. PLZ

robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

that picture is bigger than my head!
I LOVE IT!
is that how big it actually is?
im stuck on the memory man(dlx) its the shiz.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I measured it with a ruler. If that's to scale the pedal is 18.6cm wide, which means I want it.

On topic, the only use I can ever find for delay pedals is making glitchy loops with the hold function. That doesn't stop me from wanting a DD-3 though.
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

In reality the pedal is Boss sized, maybe a little smaller. Same size as all the other Behringer pedals, if you've ever seen any.

I got it to make a reverb sort of sound, but it was very tinny sounding.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Tinny is good, this could be a cheaper alternative to the DD-3 for me... but yes, tinny won't be great for reverb. Do you mean reverb like in the intro to the Dead Kennedys' Police Truck? That's the best example I can think of.
benecol

Post by benecol »

I use them to:
  • - Oscillate and make Hawkwind noises, like you have been.
    - Have more than one delay set up, one just beginning to oscillate, and click it on at opportune moments.
    - Set up clangy, slpabacky glam-rock echoes.
    - On multitap delays, do volume swells to create church organ sounds.
    - Double up my notes so it sounds like I'm playing faster.
    - But mainly for spaceship noises.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

vol pedal + delay = SWELLZ
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I can't tell you my secrets.

I think Karma Police is either an EHX DMM or a RE-201 Space Echo
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

hotrodperlmutter wrote:vol pedal + delay = SWELLZ
space guitar ftw
filtercap

Post by filtercap »

While you're doing this, bend/release really high notes and really low notes for whale noises. Whale noises are vastly underappreciated in modern music.

There's also that old chestnut, the 80's U2 slapback triplet echo. Set up the delay time so that if you play quarter-notes, the delay plays the third note of an 8th-note triplet right behind you. If the Behringer is a faithful ripoff of the Boss DD-5 or DD-6, you can tap in your tempo with a pedal (or any momentary switch connected to a quarter-inch plug) and set the delay to automatically provide that triplet at the tempo you choose.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Mike wrote:I think Karma Police is either an EHX DMM or a RE-201 Space Echo
I think I remember reading that its an RE-201 and now he uses an RE-20 to do it.
Shabba.
benecol

Post by benecol »

Or volume knob.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

yeah, that's really easy to do consistently/continually.
Reece

Post by Reece »

hotrodperlmutter wrote:yeah, that's really easy to do consistently/continually.
it is actually, with linear volume pots.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

not for me. it's easier for me to keep it steady, and consistent with my volume pedal. like, exponentially more smooth. with the tone knobs, i always fuck up my timing.
benecol

Post by benecol »

That's true. That's why we write, roll cigarettes, and tie knots with our feet, isn't it.

Monsterfotze.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

delay pedals.. i have to admit i sort of tend to use the one that is on my board (behringer dd400?) for everything but delays.. when i use it with a microphone it's usually to make everything sound metallic like a robot (like in that one health song the bass has an effect like that on it, sounds like a robot), i'll take some pics of the settings when i can.

for guitar i like that stutter real short echo a band like the kills (get yr guns out ? etc) and the oh sees tend to use, like somewhere between reverb and delay almost. also mess with the feedback knob.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

benecol wrote:
That's true. That's why we write, roll cigarettes, and tie knots with our feet, isn't it.

Monsterfotze.
i'll say it again, what works for some, works not for others. sure, i can fuck with strumming, and working knobs, while my feet are stationary. but it just makes more sense to me (not to mention it sounds better - timing wise) to use my foot.

anyways, that's basically all i use my delay for. other than just general end of song / breakdown dreaminess.

my favorite thing to do on the DD100 is if you're gain is up enough, and you get some good feedback going, crank the feedback knob to 5:00, and the time knob to 7/8:00 and when the two lines on the knobs start to meet, it goes into this crazy loopy-buzz mayhem. awesome.
the isaac eaton

Post by the isaac eaton »

I used to have an ibanez DE7, i really loved that thing. But an ex band mate plugged in the wrong adapter and blew it up. thanks alot.

I am going to be picking up a Line 6 DL4 pretty soon. probably next week or so. A lot of my friends have them, and the more i play with it, the more I love it.

Yeah pretty much not useful info to this thread at all, but i would have to agree that the DE7 is amazing.

Oh, and I would also have to agree it is easier to volume swell with my ernie ball volume pedal then it is with my volume knob, that way I dont have to take my hands off the guitar.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

the isaac eaton wrote:I used to have an ibanez DE7, i really loved that thing. But an ex band mate plugged in the wrong adapter and blew it up. thanks alot.

I am going to be picking up a Line 6 DL4 pretty soon. probably next week or so. A lot of my friends have them, and the more i play with it, the more I love it.

Yeah pretty much not useful info to this thread at all, but i would have to agree that the DE7 is amazing.

Oh, and I would also have to agree it is easier to volume swell with my ernie ball volume pedal then it is with my volume knob, that way I dont have to take my hands off the guitar.
how do you roll your cigarettes with your feet?