I put some new grill cloth on my amp.

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

wilrecar77

I put some new grill cloth on my amp.

Post by wilrecar77 »

Hey, the 250$ thing for selling my 360 never worked, my dad wouldnt let me.
But he bought me a "new" (used off of craigslist) Peavey bandit 112 (1st generation with transtube)
I really liked it but i said, hey, why not redo the grillcloth?
so Before it was this- (i dont have any actual pictures)
► Show Spoiler
And now it's this.
► Show Spoiler
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

I think JS.com is declaring war.
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
wilrecar77

Post by wilrecar77 »

How is this related to JS.com?
Haze

Post by Haze »

that looks pretty sharp!
i like that it still looks "stock" like
wilrecar77

Post by wilrecar77 »

Thanks! I learned a lesson though. removing 50,000 staples really sucks, and so don't replace things that aren't torn.
(unless it looks cool)
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

wilrecar77 wrote:How is this related to JS.com?
Nah I was just kidding. There's been alot of new posters, these last few days is all.

I like the new grillcloth.
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
wilrecar77

Post by wilrecar77 »

Oh ok. it's cool, i was just asking because i wasn't sure if it was a thing related to lot's of new people or something specific about grill cloth lol
I'm really happy that everything lined up and that lines that were parallel still are.
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

Anyway, nice job and welcome to the team.

Here's a few example of Shortscale revamps:

Robroe's Performer 1000 (aka Cougar)

Big Baby Jesus' HRD:

and my YBA-1:

wilrecar77

Post by wilrecar77 »

It's a good team to be on. Those are some really awesome revamps.
I would have liked to find a slightly more "out there" grill cloth, but i guess i will save the crazy for
when/if i retolex my amp.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Were any of these done without removing the original grill cloth ?

I was thinking off going over mine and stapling around it so it's non permanent, also wondering if that could muffle the sound ?

------------

Nice job wilrecar77 !!
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

I recovered my amp head without removing the original cloth and I believe Rob's job was all done over the original, aswell.
I guess the reversability of this is going to depend on how your amp/cab is designed. If the grillcloth is tacked onto a removable frame, you shouldn't have a problem. Just go easy on the tacks. Try to stick to materials that share properties with stuff you've seen used as grillcloth commercially. Not too thick, breathes well, not too stretchy and you won't have any problems.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Would it be possible to put a grill cloth on an amp which doesn't already have one? It would certainly help to brighten up my (currently) all black amplifier.

At the moment it looks like this (apart from being the 2x12 version). So what (if anything) would I have to take off?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I have fond memories on a Peavey Bandit. I wanted one for the longest time when I was younger.

Good luck with that.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Re: I put some new grill cloth on my amp.

Post by Dave »

wilrecar77 wrote:But he bought me a "new" (used off of craigslist) Peavey bandit 112 (1st generation with transtube)
My first proper amp which in retrospect I've always accused of sounding quacky and a bit shite with awful distortion but what is this transtube?! Maybe mine was not a first generation and maybe I've been unfair to this model all these years. To put it in context i was playing through a Charvel superstrat and a Zoom 2020 Digital effects thingy so my hearing was not the most trained at the time.... be inetrested in hearing a demo!

nice job on the refit dude.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

wilrecar77 wrote:But he bought me a "new" (used off of craigslist) Peavey bandit 112 (1st generation with transtube)
My first proper amp which in retrospect I've always accused of sounding quacky and a bit shite with awful distortion but what is this transtube?! Maybe mine was not a first generation and maybe I've been unfair to this model all these years. To put it in context i was playing through a Charvel superstrat and a Zoom 2020 Digital effects thingy so my hearing was not the most trained at the time.... be inetrested in hearing a demo!

Bollocks didn't send first time and now doublapost.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

Freddy V-C wrote:Would it be possible to put a grill cloth on an amp which doesn't already have one? It would certainly help to brighten up my (currently) all black amplifier.

At the moment it looks like this (apart from being the 2x12 version). So what (if anything) would I have to take off?
I had a 4x12 with that kind of grill on it that I wanted very badly to re-cover. I sold it before I ever got around to doing it but the only way I could think of going about it it was by wrapping the fabric around the front of the grill and hot gluing the edges of the fabric to the back. Might look like shit, though.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Black Cat Bone wrote:

As far as I know, the originals didn't have transtube, which is supposed to make it sound more tube-like.

The Bandit has been around for years and years and years and years.
wilrecar77

Post by wilrecar77 »

Thanks for all the compliments guys. The amp doesnt sound bad, i haven't heard a tube amp breaking up in real life but the transtube does help.
The distortion is good for what i play, it does from grungy to about the heaviest green day distortion on the dirt channel.
I have discovered that after a certain point (which is close to the amps max distortion) even pedals dont add to it, to get any sort of super heavy metal distortion you would have to use a
dirt box on the clean channel.
To be fair the reverb is noisy and isnt the absolute greatest but it gets the job done.
I got it for 150$ used off of craigslist and i can say that while it isnt the best amp it is LOUD 150$. (80 watts)
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

It's a bargain for that money. I've always regarded them as an ideal first viable gigging amp. For metal tones, try rolling the mid back a bit and boosting the bass a bit, so that it's equal with the treble, and don't add too much gain. You'd be surprised how little gain you need for a decent metal sound, a lot of that sound involves shaping the EQ rather than adding gain.
wilrecar77

Post by wilrecar77 »

Thanks, i usually keep the mids backed off a little bit and the lows pretty high. treble usually doesnt wander too much from 12 o' clock, i find that it matches my guitar well.
I don't play a lot of metal, i was just giving examples of the range.
i really like that it cleans up so well, if i have the gain high and im on my bridge humbucker i can go from smoke on the water to megadeth with the volume knob on my guitar. maybe amps are supposed to do that, but i wasnt used to it lol. Also, the clean channel is pretty good. whenever i get to gigging im sure i will still have it (im 13 so im not playing bars any time soon lol)