musicmaster project

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

stewart
Cunning Linguist

musicmaster project

Post by stewart »

this 1978 musicmaster is something i've been working on intermittently since i got it about 2 years ago(!). where to begin? someone somewhere is responsible for making this body fit for the bin, and i thought it might be nice to bring it back from the brink. the body had been routed (terribly) for a second pickup and a toggle switch, neither of which were installed when i took posession. the pickup had however been moved to the bridge position, and replaced with some plastic piece of rubbish. a strat-style vibrato had been added which also meant another large section of the guitar had been removed. when i first plugged it in you could hear the reverberation from the springs coming through the pickup. not nice! i wanted to use it for a gig so took the strat bridge out and put in a reissue musicmaster/duosonic one. this worked because there was a hole in the body i could feed the strings through-

when it came to actually attempting to repair the damage, i first of all stripped the body right back and filled the cavities with a 2 part epoxy filler. hardly ideal, but short of fixing in new pieces of wood there wasn't much else i could do. the routing, as i said above, was shocking- it looked like stevie wonder had had a go at it. the epoxy filler is pretty dense, and i know it's often used in antique restoration so i went with it. you can see in the pics all the areas that had to be filled.

once that had cured i filled the grain with, surprisingly enough, grain filler and it's since had about 6 coats of sand and seal and been rubbed down until smooth. i think it's now ready for the first primer coat. as far as hardware goes i've replaced everything except the pots with vintage parts, but the older style (mustang/duosonic-esque) ones. i'm not a fan of that bronco style scratchplate. there's a pic below of what it looks like partially assembled, i'll post more as i get more done. i think the final colour will be white again. i think, considering the damage that was done to it, it'll be quite a nice little guitar when it's finished. i hope!

p.s. i've just this minute noticed that there are holes i've filled which correspond exactly to the screw holes in the mustang style scratchplate- which means it must have had one of those fitted at some point and been replaced with a later 70's type which had been cut to allow for the pickup in the bridge position. very odd.
r40f

Post by r40f »

looks good. that epoxy filler doesn't shrink up when it dries? what color is it going to be?
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

it definitely doesn't shrink. i've seen it used on ceramics and it's fine.

it'll be painted white, i want an off-white finish, i'm not quite sure how i'm going to do it. someone suggested sticking it in the oven once the clear coat had hardened, but i'd imagine it depends on whether or not it's a nitro finish. i've found somewhere in the uk that does nitro colours and lacquer but i'd rather avoid carcinogenic chemicals if possible!

any suggestions appreciated...
tribi9
Administrator

Post by tribi9 »

stewart wrote:i'd rather avoid carcinogenic chemicals if possible!

any suggestions appreciated...
Ever heard of a respirator? Plus one time won't kill ya...
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

stewart wrote:it'll be painted white, i want an off-white finish, i'm not quite sure how i'm going to do it.
Spray it nitro, buy a carton of Marlboro, lock yourself in a small room with the guitar and light up.
Life is "Pointless......but manageable"
astro

Post by astro »

Looks sweeeeeeeet!

I love the look of white or cream guitars with black pickguards!
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

hmm. i'm erring towards nitro finish. i'll just need to do it in my garage and beat a retreat from the fumes.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

dots wrote:incesticide