guitar for a beginner?

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

That's the most metal Artcore I've ever seen...

I can't stand most Epiphone pups, so take that into consideration.
If you think of god as a pair of pants, a spiritualist thinks he needs pants, in fact he wants pants but none of the conventional types of pants seem to fit just right, so he makes his own pants and is happy that his knees are no longer cold.-fibus
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

Thanks everyone for your advice. I am now the proud owner of a new Squier VM Tele (ssh)...It's fantastic! Pics and a demo video to follow...
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Nicely done. Pics ahoy!
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

Mozel Tov!

hava nagila
hava nagila
hava nagila ve nis'mecha
If you think of god as a pair of pants, a spiritualist thinks he needs pants, in fact he wants pants but none of the conventional types of pants seem to fit just right, so he makes his own pants and is happy that his knees are no longer cold.-fibus
scryber

Post by scryber »

As the person that started this thread I thought I'd update on my search. I still haven't purchased a new guitar, but I've narrowed it down (somewhat). My budget falls under $300US and perhaps not coincidentally each guitar I'm looking at falls in that range. Here's the list...

Jagmaster
  • 24" scale
  • I know it doesn't sound like a Jaguar, but I love the shape and look of it.
  • Humbuckers
  • 6-screw mounted tremolo bridge...Tremolo bar is unimportant to me
  • Thinking of switching out the Humbucker pickups with some of these - GFS Retrotron Memphis pickups
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Thinline
  • Not 24" scale, but close... 24.75"
  • Neck: Maple, Fingerboard: Rosewood, Body: Alder
  • 7.25" neck radius
  • vintage six-saddle bridge

Squier Classic Vibe Duo Sonic
  • 24" scale
  • Basswood body, Maple neck and fingerboard
  • Don't love the color, but I could live with it
  • 3-saddle bridge
  • AlNiCo V pickups
  • I have no idea what it sounds like, there are currently no reviews out there
Oh hell here's one more:
Epiphone Dot Studio
  • Set maple neck, Rosewood fretboard
  • Vintage Alnico V plus pickups
  • Stopbar tailpiece
  • Scale length - 24-3/4"
Any thoughts on these? I should mention that the type of music I'd like to play is alternative rock, my favorite band/album is The Church/Starfish, if that helps at all... atmospheric tones painted with chiming riffs :wink:
Last edited by scryber on Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

telecaster or duo sonic will be the most chimey. humbuckers are not really chimey.
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
Aeon

Post by Aeon »

I'd go for the Duo.
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

FWIW, my VM Tele is absolutely awesome and is probably the best purchase I have made in a while. As far as chime goes, while the neck humbucker is pretty meaty, the other two are quite responsive and..."chime-y" Sounds great with light OD, and plays fantastic...for 300$...
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

roachello wrote:What's your budget? We just sold our Squier Musicmaster but that guitar would have been perfect! (According to preference of course)
Thanks Roachello and Alfredo :)

You know, I'm amazed how good the Musicmaster is. The playability is quite amazing for a guitar that cost $150 new, and the horror stories I'd read about the pickup being lifeless and the quality of construction are completely untrue. The tuners, the push-pull are quality. Best of all, the colour is awesome. It's nice not to have to worry about switches and controls once in a while.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

scryber wrote:Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Thinline
  • Not 24" scale, but close... 24.75"
  • Neck: Maple, Fingerboard: Rosewood, Body: Alder
  • 7.25" neck radius
  • vintage six-saddle bridge
That one! Look at it!

Squier Jagmaster is the most alternative rock guitar there, so the alternative rock thing to do would be to get something else. Confused? I nearly shit.
scryber

Post by scryber »

Wilbur wrote:FWIW, my VM Tele is absolutely awesome and is probably the best purchase I have made in a while. As far as chime goes, while the neck humbucker is pretty meaty, the other two are quite responsive and..."chime-y" Sounds great with light OD, and plays fantastic...for 300$...
I did look at that one, the only "downside" is the neck scale because I'm looking for short scale or Gibson sized.
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

scryber wrote:
Wilbur wrote:FWIW, my VM Tele is absolutely awesome and is probably the best purchase I have made in a while. As far as chime goes, while the neck humbucker is pretty meaty, the other two are quite responsive and..."chime-y" Sounds great with light OD, and plays fantastic...for 300$...
I did look at that one, the only "downside" is the neck scale because I'm looking for short scale or Gibson sized.
You;re lookin' for xs or xl? Word...
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

He means 24" or 24 3/4" (Gibson) scale length.
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

timhulio wrote:He means 24" or 24 3/4" (Gibson) scale length.
For some reason I thought Gibson scale was 25 some shit...
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Nope.

Fender Standard (Telecaster/Stratocaster/Jazzmaster) - 25.5"
Gibson Standard 24.75"
Fender Shortscale (Mustang/Jaguar) - 24"
Fender SuperShortscale (some Duo-Sonics) - 22.5"
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

Mike wrote:Nope.

Fender Standard (Telecaster/Stratocaster/Jazzmaster) - 25.5"
Gibson Standard 24.75"
Fender Shortscale (Mustang/Jaguar) - 24"
Fender SuperShortscale (some Duo-Sonics) - 22.5"
Word. This must be why My friend's LP feels like a fuckin' midget guitar to me... Or maybe it's cause I'ma giant.