Shell Pink Jag

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

aphasiac wrote:
mage wrote:
RumorsOFsurF wrote:it's also priced really high! A person could find a used AV Jag for that much. I paid $900 for mine.
yea but shell pink?
You could buy a CIJ Jaguar and refinish it in pink for half that price. So meh.
But you would have to buy cloth wire, CTS pots and new pickups.
euan
Sublimedo

Post by Sublimedo »

euan wrote:
Haha. So a Chinese made Alpha pot is better made than a CTS pot? That is some Icey bullshit there. I've used both and the only difference is that CTS pots are stiffer and bigger. So I can see how that can be perceived as "quality"

I will concede the tapers are different, but I actually prefer the Alpha taper on log pots.
I'm not crazy bout CTS' either but there definitely are some shitty pots out there and all kinds of fenders use them. It doesnt necessarily have to do with the stiffness or tapers. Some can just be really bad wether it be scratchy or sticking in a certain position.

CIJ wiring can be REAL bad. I can say that with no regret. It's not odd for some of those wires to come undone. Cloth wire is much easier to work and tend to have stronger joints. PLUS, it just looks so much better. Nothing with mojo, it's just fucking nice.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Sublimedo wrote:Cloth wire is much easier to work and tend to have stronger joints. PLUS, it just looks so much better. Nothing with mojo, it's just fucking nice.
I guess it being easier to work with is a personal preference, but stronger joints? How has the sheath being cloth have anything to do with a stronger solder joint? You are soldering the wire and not the cloth or pvc, the strength is in the physical connection and the quality of solder/soldering. You should know that Fredo.

Pots can be bad from anywhere. But saying Chinese pots are all crappy when Alpha make some of the best and are used by pretty much everyone is hyperbole of Iceybyte proportions.
euan
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

RumorsOFsurF wrote:
James wrote:
RumorsOFsurF wrote: I'd trade a cool color for a much better guitar. My problem with CIJs is the skimpy wiring and pickups. With an AVRI, at least you get cloth wiring, proper shielding, and good pickups. I won't even start on the tremolo tailpiece on the CIJs.

Of course, I did buy a CIJ Jazzmaster new just for the block inlay neck....I guess that's the same thing as buying one for the cool color. :roll:

I swapped the pickups, pots, and wiring, though.
What does cloth wiring have to do with quality?
The cloth covered wire that is used in the AVRI series is 100000 times better than the skinny-ass stuff Fender Japan uses.

It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that it's covered with cloth. You know what I meant, you're just being argumentative.
I'm not being argumentative at all. Cloth wiring is one of the best examples of vintage fender mojo arrows. The only reason people think it's better is because it looks more expensive and it's the way the old Fenders are made. It might be a little better feeling in your hands when working with it, but how often do you really work with it compared to how often it's completely out of site? i'd say that almost all of it would be placebo mojo effect.
Shabba.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Also the quality of unshielded wire is the minor capacitance and resistance over it's length. Are you saying the stuff that is used for cloth is magically better because of this? Hardly so.
euan
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

I don't really know a lot about the subject, but a few things i'm fairly sure:

- Low quality cable will lose detail in the high end, and a bit in the low end before the rest of the signal.
Even great guitar amps dont reproduce much above 15khz, and I'm not sure of a low figure but it doesn't go that low.

Add those two together and you need some shit cable for a decent length to hear much of a differene (50 foot cheap jack cables spring to mind). The length of the cable inside a guitar, even for something like a jaguar, adds up to a metre or so, but most of that isn't in use at a time. Your guitar signal is probably only flowing through 30cm of cable at any one time.

I'm not sure how much that is all true, but suppose it is, and a difference of a few % inside a guitar wont make much difference at all. If there is even a few % in it.
Shabba.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Also stranded core is better than solid core if you were going to argue about the signal quality since current travels on the outside of a wire not inside. As far as I'm aware you don't get cloth covered stranded wire.
euan
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

i use stranded cloth wire. i'm not sure about how it feels in your hand, i just like that you don't have to strip it and it's pre-tinned.
it's just so much easier to work with. you just pull back the cloth, solder, and then push the cloth back. and it doesn't melt like pvc.
RumorsOFsurF

Post by RumorsOFsurF »

bubbles_horwitz wrote:i use stranded cloth wire. i'm not sure about how it feels in your hand, i just like that you don't have to strip it and it's pre-tinned.
it's just so much easier to work with. you just pull back the cloth, solder, and then push the cloth back. and it doesn't melt like pvc.
Exactly the point I was trying, but sort of failed, to make.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

I found it fiddly especially compared to just using wire strippers like I have been since I was 14 or something.

PVC doesn't melt if you are good ;)
euan
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

I like using cloth covered wire..and I am totally anti mojo. Nothing to do with tone (luls) just easier to work with.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Hurb wrote:I like using cloth covered wire..and I am totally anti mojo. Nothing to do with tone (luls) just easier to work with.
I'm perfectly happy to accept that. I just think a lot of people think it will actually improve their tone and the quality of the sound.
Shabba.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

James wrote:
Hurb wrote:I like using cloth covered wire..and I am totally anti mojo. Nothing to do with tone (luls) just easier to work with.
I'm perfectly happy to accept that. I just think a lot of people think it will actually improve their tone and the quality of the sound.
No doubt. My ears are not good enough to claim such things. :P
RumorsOFsurF

Post by RumorsOFsurF »

James wrote:

That would be a ridiculous claim indeed.
fuckoffsetguitars.com

Post by fuckoffsetguitars.com »

thats a really cool looking jag imo.
Pacafeliz

Post by Pacafeliz »

geez it's STILL there. $880 i'm REALLY gassin' for it... but shipping makes it a no no for me. bummer. :(
my name is Pat.
65fenvox

Post by 65fenvox »

Well whatever! Its, like, totally pretty!
Because ya know, pink is like, my favorite color. K?