Jag feedback.... (replacing pup + more questions) -

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

pickup claws FTW. they look cool and the science behind them is pretty reasoned.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Agreed!
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Fitted the quarter pounder tonight... it sounds great !! ... so much more clarity and a bit more beef.

Exactly what I was after... still some signs of microphonic feedback but I guess that's just the nature of the jag, and being in close such proximity to the amp in my pokey room.

Thanks for everyones advice and aphasiac for the pup... cheers ;)

Owen
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

nice.

take the guitar/amp to your garage or some place you have some room and privacy and then crank the volume/gain. if you're not right on top of the amp, the 'phonic crap should be no more.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Will do dots... that'll be the real test. Thanks for the advice.

Got a few pedals to fix now and I'll have a real nice setup for rehearsing/giggin' :)
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Parts of the pickup can vibrate and cause microphonic feed back even if the pickup is potted. so make sure that the claws etc are tightmelt a little wax to stick em all together if you have to.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

I used a QP in my Jag throughout playing live with Poem Rocket and never really had problems with feedback. Like dots said if you turn away from your amp in a larger room you'll be fine.
Other than that what Hurb said. Boil six house candles in a slow burner, submerge the whole pickup (claw and cover included), pull out after a couple of minutes then clean surface up once wax starts to set.

HERE is a simple guide for wax potting.
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

hey Owen, nice meeting you Friday and glad you're happy with the pickup.

As for it still whistling, that's a bit unlucky. Did you install the jaguar claw? I believe someone on Harmony Central complained their 1/4 pounders squealed until they removed the claws.

How much gain do you play with? What amp/pedals do you use?
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

...Stuff as much foam/tissue paper/cotton into the pickup cavity as you can, Jag pickups have a tendency to be mounted in a fairly rickety fashion... in other Fenders the pickguard has a fairly tight grip on the pup, but they're a bit looser on Jags and the pickups can have quite a bit of play if you don't get them perfectly secure...
ludger

Post by ludger »

I ended up wax potting my Quarter Pounders and they haven't squealed since. (See the Wiki section)