Jaguar rhythm circuit mods?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

aphasiac

Jaguar rhythm circuit mods?

Post by aphasiac »

Ok, so I've now got my jaguar with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders, and its quickly become my favourite guitar. I can get such a great range of sounds out of it, and it just plays so well. The only crappy thing is the rhythm circuit - the tone pot was always waaay too whooly, now combined with the bassy new pickups its basically useless (to me anyway).

I dont wanna be one of those jaguar owners that ducktapes over the rhythm/lead switch (brian molko, Rod Jones etc), so can anyone suggest a good mod for the rhythm circuit? Most obvious is to replace the ridiculous 60k tone pot with a 1Meg pot, so is just becomes the same sound as the the lead circuit - you can then switch between neck and bridge/bridge+neck with one flick of a switch.

A guy on jag-stang.com modded his jag so the rhythm circuit controlled a hotrails pickup he'd wired in behind the bridge pickup - that was a nice use for it. An active boost would be amazing - or a built in fuzz factory, controlled by the rollers. But i dont really have the technical know-how for those mods..
sonicboom

Post by sonicboom »

Amen to that. I'm in excatly the same position.

Everything else about QPs on a CIJ Jag is seriously excellent - but it does render that rhythm circuit as good as useless.

Maybe the pot swap is the way to go - I'm just as keen to hear other folks' ideas.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Pull the whole lot out and chuck a killswitch in there 8)
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Just don't use it. Why would you have to tape over it?
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

Another obvious and very simple mod would be to hook up the bridge pickup to the rhythm circuit, instead of the bassy neck one. Trebly pickup + 60k tone pot - should sound ok? Im suprised no ones tried this one before.

My ideal mod would be be for the rhythm circuit to turn on both pickups in series (i.e. they become a big humbucker). But i dont think it's possible, wiring wise.
Last edited by aphasiac on Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
drasp

Post by drasp »

Why wouldn't that be possible, because the two circuits each have their own tone stack? I wired my Tele up for 4-way switching and the extra position runs the two pickups in series which is awesome. I'm no good at designing or modifying circuits, but someone here must know how. . .
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Loads of options on a Jag rythm circuit..
Killswitch (aka doogswitch), change the sound with caps, black ice clipping diode, micro fx or even wire it into a stereo guitar.
Justin
NSFW

Post by Justin »

Isn't that the metal plate up top where the 2 wheels are?
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Justin wrote:Isn't that the metal plate up top where the 2 wheels are?
Yeah, they look like Harley Davids0nz motorbike wheels from a distance but upon further observation they appear as wheel tyres sunk into the faux chrome plate. To the novice and uneducated this dual system may seem daunting, but i can assure you it is quite simple in operation.
Justin
NSFW

Post by Justin »

Ok I was making sure. That Jaguar I had, a previous owner bypassed it, and the volume/tone knobs controlled both pick ups.

http://bestnetworx.com/uploader/files/43/4.jpg

Then the bottom horn, where the 3 switches are, was a Les Paul switch. It was awesome.
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

drasp wrote:Why wouldn't that be possible, because the two circuits each have their own tone stack? I wired my Tele up for 4-way switching and the extra position runs the two pickups in series which is awesome. I'm no good at designing or modifying circuits, but someone here must know how. . .
Sorry i meant both pickups. So rhymth circuit would just provide series switching. but yeh its not possible with current wiring (i think).

Interestingly a Jag owner on thegearpage has modded theirs to give both pickups in series, when both lead pickup switches are in a down position (instead of both pickups just being off). nice mod, im trying to contact him for a wiring diagram.
drasp

Post by drasp »

If you get it, please post it here, that sounds VERY useful! :P