CIJ/MIJ Jag re-wire

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

drasp

CIJ/MIJ Jag re-wire

Post by drasp »

I re-wired both my CIJ Tele & MIM Strat a few years back when I was in the process of upgrading each and now I think it's time for my Jag.

I'll probably pick up the kit from ACME, but that will be US spec pots & switches so I'll need new knobs (bummer) but mine are basicly shot. I've cleaned everything with good contact cleaner and both rollers still cut out & scratch. The lead/rhythem slider already had to be replaced (totally shot / intermittent when I got the guitar despite the seller advertising it as "electrically perfect" - dick) Anyhow, I love the controls on a Jag, but my one complaint is that the volume & tone pots don't seem to have enough usable range. Now, it may turn out that something is goofed up in my circuit causing this, but as soon as I roll them back it gets VERY dark and muddy - if this is also the case with the US spec pots/switches, can anyone recommend a value change that would address it?

Also - anyone got some spare US pots/switches/knobs/rollers laying around? :wink:
drasp

Post by drasp »

Really, nothing? Not even sass? I'd totally settle for sass. . . :?
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

Sass.
NickS

Post by NickS »

drasp wrote:Really, nothing? Not even ass? I'd totally settle for ass. . . :?
What values have you got ATM and what are you looking at?
drasp

Post by drasp »

I'll have to check - it should all still be stock, so 1k pots, right? I haven't wired up a Jag before & wasn't sure if there were any common/popular changes. I don't want 250k pots as I've got a Strat for that & use flatwounds,. . . I guess I'm not sure what advice I was looking for. If most just re-wire with the stock circuit using better parts that's what I'll do.
drasp

Post by drasp »

And thank you for the ass. . . :shock:
ludger

Post by ludger »

Audio taper log pots vs linear or something...I don't really know shit...

NickS

Post by NickS »

>>Acme wiring kit<< includes 1M linear for upper horn volume, 50K linear for upper horn tone and 2x 1M audio taper for the control plate volume and tone. The way the upper horn controls work is a bit weird, but I must run now to get a birthdfay card for my daughter.
drasp

Post by drasp »

Yeah, I've used ACME's kits before (both my Strat & Tele). I wired the Tele for 4-way switching, which totally rocks. The Strat got wired 5-way like a '62.