Jag pickup height & rollers...

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

othomas2

Jag pickup height & rollers...

Post by othomas2 »

I need to raise the bridge pickup on my jap jag but the turning the adjustment screws wont allow this.

I read that the originals had foam underneath (not springs ??)

so on the reissue would I just add a sliver of foam as per original ??

Also one of rollers seems to be causing a little resistance on the control plate, must be catching slightly, can this be altered ??

Sorry, I'm asking questions here before lifting the pick guard ...

any help would be much appreciated.

cheers
O
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

the reissues have foam too.(well they should do) you don't want them any higher than the foam will allow.
the roller knobs have a little hex screw slacken it, then move the roller knobs away from where its catching and re tighten.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Cheers Hurb... nice one...

I would like to increase the volume of the bridge pickup in comparison to the neck...

It's looks about the same height as this...

the sides of the pickup (where screws are) is flush with pickguard. Not designed to go any higher ?? :?

The other alternative would be to reduce the height of the neck pickup - although I believe to be at the correct height at the mo.

p.s. Can I see your homemade stangy type you built, watched your polychorus test on youtube. ;)

thanks
O
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

If you start to unscrew the jag pickup and the screws start coming out of the pickup. the foam isn't spring enough to allow any more height. I think on my jag the pickup is maybe a mm or so clear of the pickguard. You could always add more foam to allow it to go higher. But you don't want it too high imo. my neck pickup is slightly below the pickguard.
You can sorta see the height in this pic of my jag

Here is my faux Xii

:P
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Cool mate thanks, I'll take a look under the hood.

Lovely guitar, from the clips I thought it was going to have a mustang lower horn.

----

one last query until the guitar is totally setup. Anyway to combat creaking tuners... high b and e are doing it not only when I turn them but also when a bend a string.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

sure that's not creaking at the nutt? sounds like it to me. the nutt slot needs filing so the string can move easy. will solve tuning problems.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Perhaps it is, I'll have another look... thanks

Have used some of those foam sticky pads underneath the pickup to raise it that extra few mm, it did the job perfectly and have now got that little extra boost at the bridge that I was lookin' for.

and the resistance on the roller was simply a touched wire inside the cavity. So all is good :D :D

thanks again Hurb, sound advice !!

O
65fenvox

Post by 65fenvox »

Here is my faux Xii

Thats the one of the coolest looking guitars I've ever seen! It actually looks like Cobains picture of the Jag-Stang. Or at least how the Jag-Stang was meant to look.
Its custom made?? Where did you get it Hurb??
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

I made it. The original idea was to make a 6 string Fender XII (hence the faux XII) I made my own split pickups for it too. However I didn't like the sound much..I think it was the shit magnets I used to be honest. It was still kool because the whole thing taught me allot about pickups. So to keep things moving I decided on using normal singles.
The neck came from a jap jaguar. I made the body pickguard etc. It first had a duo-sonic bridge. but i need whammies so I installed a mustang trem.
It's currently in bits as I need to redo the pickguard(I got a real fender xii control plate of mr mustache and so need to recut the guard for that. I also stole the pickups out of it to put back in the mex duo sonic I was selling.
It's been a long project ....basically because I have been a right lazy ass. it does play nice though when it is all together. I will get it back playing this summer.
seen here

[youtube][/youtube]
65fenvox

Post by 65fenvox »

Hurb wrote:I made it. The original idea was to make a 6 string Fender XII (hence the faux XII) I made my own split pickups for it too. However I didn't like the sound much..I think it was the shit magnets I used to be honest. It was still kool because the whole thing taught me allot about pickups. So to keep things moving I decided on using normal singles.
The neck came from a jap jaguar. I made the body pickguard etc. It first had a duo-sonic bridge. but i need whammies so I installed a mustang trem.
It's currently in bits as I need to redo the pickguard(I got a real fender xii control plate of mr mustache and so need to recut the guard for that. I also stole the pickups out of it to put back in the mex duo sonic I was selling.
It's been a long project ....basically because I have been a right lazy ass. it does play nice though when it is all together. I will get it back playing this summer.
seen here

[youtube][/youtube]
Very impressive Hurb! That fucking guitar rocks! It deserves to be whole again. You didnt have any problems with the neck shifting?? I guess you wouldnt if that body was cut for a CIJ neck. I keep thinking its a vintage fender body.
Those single coils sound great! Not as tinny as stock Stang pups do, at least imo. That's the thing that people who aren't happy with their stock mustangs don't realize, is that if changed to 500k pots with some American Strat pups, there's a big difference! You don't have to get single coil size humbuckers. So the new pick guard is pearl white?? I hope so, that would be fuckin beautiful!
I'm really impressed at your work. Rawkin Rage covers too. You go boy! Now put that thing back together!
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Cheers dude. Not a vintage body no. I made it out of lump of wood :lol:
I may go pear guard..not sure yet.
65fenvox

Post by 65fenvox »

Hurb wrote:Cheers dude. Not a vintage body no. I made it out of lump of wood :lol:
I may go pear guard..not sure yet.
Well please keep us posted with pictures! cheers!