recording the new drums

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

paul_

Post by paul_ »

i love mixing, it's the only thing i kick my band out of the room for because they WILL fuck it up.
"make the drums louder."
"nahhhhh make the drums louder dude."
"OH THE GUITAR AND VOCALS ARE LOUDER THAN THE DRUMS, I SEE HOW IT IS, BITCH.."

(paul_ throws rubber ball out door, drummer takes off after it)

"haha, good work paul, now, about that bass...."
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

filtercap wrote:Doog, do you use the subwoofer when mastering, but not when mixing? Also, how do you keep the subwoofer from causing you to over- or under-compensate in the bass frequencies? Do you play a "pro" CD through your system for reference, and then match your project's bass content to what you hear from the CD, or ??

EDIT: that last sentence was on drugs or something. Fix't.
Yeah, I use it for both. I'm just even more picky when mastering. I'll generally always compare my mix to a "pro" CD or decent quality MP3 at any point, mixing, EQing, mastering, the lot.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Mike wrote:I think the "play a CD you like the production of" method is a good way to get yourself in teh frame with what stuff sounds like on your setup.. however I suck hardcore at mixing. I have NO patience.
if i'm working one someone else's stuff, i'll take my time, but if it's mine, i usually do one mix and be done. like all my myspace stuff, it's just whatever.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Mixing is retarded. I don't have any extra plugins. So it's extra retarded. But once I get the hang of it, I'm going to put up a mix for all to hear. (not the crappy ones you heard doog).

Important things. Limiters Vs. Compressors.

A hard limiter over your final mix will make a world of difference, just make sure the level going into that limiter is nice and low. Putting a normal compressor over the final mix is a bad idea. hehe.

I'm learning slowly. But surely.
What do?
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Sloan wrote:
if it's mine, i usually do one mix and be done. like all my myspace stuff, it's just whatever.
+1
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Ian wrote:Mixing is retarded. I don't have any extra plugins. So it's extra retarded. But once I get the hang of it, I'm going to put up a mix for all to hear. (not the crappy ones you heard doog).

Important things. Limiters Vs. Compressors.

A hard limiter over your final mix will make a world of difference, just make sure the level going into that limiter is nice and low. Putting a normal compressor over the final mix is a bad idea. hehe.

I'm learning slowly. But surely.
Just steal the Waves Diamond Bundle from a bittorrent, or get your Dad to shell out.
giginthesky

Post by giginthesky »

aside from the overhead shiny nail, what mic placement did you use for the rest of the kit? yes, the snare was thwarty, but overall the recording sounded quite workable with some eq. nice job might i add! i like it.
filtercap

Post by filtercap »

Thanks.

-- One mic dangled in front of the hole in my kick drum head, pointed at the floor. I don't have enough stands. :D

-- One mic to the left of the rack tom (left from the drummer's point of view) raised just above the rim of the rack tom, pointed at the snare. The back of the mic pointed at the crash cymbal, and I tried to get it as far away from the hi-hat as possible.

-- One mic out to the right of the floor tom (drummer's POV again) raised just above the rim and angled slightly up towards the rack tom and the underside of the ride cymbal.