My Crazy Stratstang & Other Stories

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

ElCapitan

My Crazy Stratstang & Other Stories

Post by ElCapitan »

Well i'm improvising one for my strat-tele-stang project. I've noticed loads of you guys use old vinyl records for them, what's the best way to cut them out without them shattering? Also, is there a way of drilling screw-holes without them shattering, as my test-piece shattered.
Last edited by ElCapitan on Sun May 27, 2007 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iCEByTes wrote:now start drools please
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Re: Using shitty records for pickguards

Post by Aug »

ElCapitan wrote:Well i'm improvising one for my strat-tele-stang project. I've noticed loads of you guys use old vinyl records for them, what's the best way to cut them out without them shattering? Also, is there a way of drilling screw-holes without them shattering, as my test-piece shattered.
dunno...I've never used a vinyl record to make a pg before...but, I can tell you, in my experience, that tiny pilot holes drilled first help out alot. Perhaps, smaller than 1/8" to begin with...then drill *slowly* with an 1/8th inch bit, then use a countersink bit.

As for cutting them, I'd strongly suggest a bandsaw with a fine-tooth blade. If not available, perhaps a router mounted to a table.

You could even try a jigsaw with a really fine blade as well...let us know how it works out...
Tweez

Post by Tweez »

I don't know if this would work, but would heating it slightly help? It'd depend if it was a Shellac or Vinyl record I guess but it would probably make it less brittle.
ElCapitan

Post by ElCapitan »

Well actually i cut it out yesterday, after reviewing all my options. Bear in mind that I'm a broke teenager with the bare minimum of tools. I cut it out proper manland using a soldering iron and an electric sander. Despite the toxic fumes and the nagging feeling that this was probably a stupid idea, I got a pretty good result. I'll post pics when i've finished sanding off all the melted crap from around the edges...
Cheers for the drilling info though Aug, my mate's got a piller drill so i'll try doing that.
ElCapitan

Post by ElCapitan »

Well theres the old work-in-progress.
I'm going with STRATELESTANG in the abscence of a cool-sounding name.
I just ordered the mustang control plate and body ferrules from GPR, so that'll be cool. How long is the delivery time usually?
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

GPR usually has a week delivery time, from my experience.
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
luke

Post by luke »

From my experience, as somebody in the UK too, it'll be a fortnight at most. Depends on how big the package will be, judging by what you're getting, you might be lucky and get it in a week. I ordered two push/pull pots and an ORANGE CAP SPRAGUE CAPACITATOR and it arrived in like a week or something ridiculously fast.

By the way, that could potentially be a good project. Don't ruin it with a shitty paint job and a shitty pickguard.
ElCapitan

Post by ElCapitan »

ElCapitan wrote:Bear in mind that I'm a broke teenager with the bare minimum of tools, guitar building knowledge or money
As much as like this to look fucking awesome, I have little money to buy decent equipment or the facilities to make this truly straight-up manlandishly awesome. I like the whole record pickguard thing, but the paint-job is going to take fucking ages with the sanding and the priming and the more sanding and the coat after coat. I've gained real respect for guys like Aug that have the patience to actually do this.
On the subject of painting, what do people recommend in terms of clear-coating? The black paint I'm using looks allright, but I want to try and get a decent glossy finish fo' as little money as possible.
ElCapitan

Post by ElCapitan »

btw Malik, is there any extra shipping costs or anything or is it the flat $5.95?
luke

Post by luke »

ElCapitan wrote:btw Malik, is there any extra shipping costs or anything or is it the flat $5.95?
Not that I know of, I wasn't charged extra.
ElCapitan

Post by ElCapitan »

well I'm slowly getting there, I've sanded all the shite off of the pickguard and given it another coat of paint. 2 more coats of the front of the body but there are still dents in it which are pissing me off.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

Don't worry too much about dents on this one. To get them out you would need to strip down to wood and build up from there. A good young Lo-Fi Sid Vicious does not worry about dents. I think the record contributes to a tough look. Your best hope for smooth and shiny is by using an entire can or two of clear.
Yell Like Hell
ElCapitan

Post by ElCapitan »

ok, where can i get this magical "clear"?
ElCapitan

Post by ElCapitan »

bump, wheres the clear at? (in the UK)
luke

Post by luke »

Hurb has it all. :lol:
ElCapitan

Post by ElCapitan »

ok, well the gibson style 3-way switch doesn't fit in the mustang control plate. do I have to resort to getting a mini toggle switch?
luke

Post by luke »

ElCapitan wrote:ok, well the gibson style 3-way switch doesn't fit in the mustang control plate. do I have to resort to getting a mini toggle switch?
Either that or a drill bit. Mini toggle switches are actually really durable, so don't worry about them not being up to scratch to the larger ones. They look quite alright on the control plate too, I've tried one on there.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

How about Rattlestang?

You must have HW stores, right? The really could stuff it from Manchester. So much to answer for.
Yell Like Hell