I need a new amp...

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

I need a new amp...

Post by Nick »

I have a silverface twin that's my main band workhorse, but for the bedroom right now I've got shite. Just a G-Dec and some cheap mark II amp I bought for $10.

I need a good workhorse for recording and practice. I'm thinking tube's the way to go, as I never really seem satisfied with anything solid state. I want something that'll make distortions and fuzz pedals sond kool......

The Fender Champion 600 was looking good, but there's no reverb or trem on that, so that's a minus.

I'm looking at the Vox AC15 now, since that seems to be about what I need....but does anyone else have any other suggestions that don't suck before I seriously start testing it out and look further into it? I don't really want anything with built in effects besides reverb/trem and maybe an overdrive channel.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

if you can find one, i'd recommend the 90s fender concert amp
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

looks cool but 60 watts tube is a little much for my bedroom :wink:
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Can I get it out of the way and say "Tiny Terror"?
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I don't want to spend $800 on a head and cab here...trying to keep the cost around or under $450. Also, the orange has no reverb or trem.
superfuzz

Post by superfuzz »

a fender h.r.d. might suit your needs, but it may be to loud. You could always buy a $99 epiphone valve jr, people seem to like those quite a bit.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I want something that has alot of features, sounds nice and full, and also doesn't make the house shake.

A non-valve alternative I was looking into were Tech 21 Trademark 30's....
Lanark

Post by Lanark »

Check the Traynor Custom Valve 20

http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp ... =63&id=208

There's a Custom Valve 40 watt where we practice and it's just great for it's size. Sounds good and dirties up nice. I can imagine it's the same only not so loud.

I've also dicked around a bit with some new Kustom practice amps at the store. tTube 12 might fit your needs or not depending on what you mean by "a lot of features"

http://www.kustom.com/amps/guitar/pract ... 2combo.asp

Personally I'd just cruise the interweb and hunt down a small Valco Combo and screw the extra bells and whistles for straight up tone. there's more tone in your average Supro than you'll ever get out of the 1's and 0's in a new fangled modern amplifier... features are for pedals..
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Well, I like for amps to at least have built in reverb.

I used to actually have an Airline 8305-S (I think was the model number) amp...it had once channel with just volume, and another with volume, tone, and tremolo. I loved that amp, I have no fricken clue why I traded it in towards my roland guitar system...I wasn't THAT desperate for money, but at the time I had my twin at the house, and for some reason wasn't thinking that it made sense to keep both for different purposes.

That Traynor's a little over my budget. An AC15 would kinda be cutting it close budget wise, but I plan on selling some stuff to help fund it.

I think realisitically I'm looking at the Tech 21 trademark series.....they're pretty versatile, have built in reverb, analog circuitry, and get pretty good reviews. The one time I played through a 10 watter it sounded pretty nice.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Reverb and Trem (or at least one) should come from pedals - you're limiting yourself to Vox on that one.

I would say Tiny Terror, but if not the AC15 is a very nice amp, although you won't get drive out of it at bedroom volumes.

Epiphone Valve Jnr?
fretman

Post by fretman »

Nick wrote:...I used to actually have an Airline 8305-S (I think was the model number) amp...it had once channel with just volume, and another with volume, tone, and tremolo. I loved that amp, I have no fricken clue why I traded it in...
+1 on the Airline love. I've got a model 62-9023A (catchy name, eh?) w/ two channels - vol/tone and vol/tone/trem, that sounds absolutely amazing.
Surely these are still relative bargains, if/when you can find them. I wouldn't gig with it though, not that it could handle much more than a coffee house!
Nick wrote:... realisitically I'm looking at the Tech 21 trademark series...
Never owned one, but I've used them, and heard them being used, and they always sound good. Never mind-blowing, but always good.
They have sort of a calm, well behaved character to them, can't put my finger on it...
Lanark

Post by Lanark »

I've got a few Supros.

All kinds of love for any and all Valco made amps.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Nick wrote:I don't want to spend $800 on a head and cab here...trying to keep the cost around or under $450. Also, the orange has no reverb or trem.
Could use the Twin as a cab? I guess that doesn't solve your 'verb and trem problem though, unless you just buy a few pedals.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Shane110111

Re: I need a new amp...

Post by Shane110111 »

Nick wrote:I have a silverface twin that's my main band workhorse, but for the bedroom right now I've got shite. Just a G-Dec and some cheap mark II amp I bought for $10.

I need a good workhorse for recording and practice. I'm thinking tube's the way to go, as I never really seem satisfied with anything solid state. I want something that'll make distortions and fuzz pedals sond kool......

The Fender Champion 600 was looking good, but there's no reverb or trem on that, so that's a minus.

I'm looking at the Vox AC15 now, since that seems to be about what I need....but does anyone else have any other suggestions that don't suck before I seriously start testing it out and look further into it? I don't really want anything with built in effects besides reverb/trem and maybe an overdrive channel.
A Fender Blues Jr sounds like the right amp for you, cept it doesn't have trem on it...
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

princeton reverb ? :wink:

they're a bitch to find over here, and when one shows up people here start bidding on it like crazy so they usually don't go for less than 500 :roll:
fretman

Post by fretman »

Mike wrote:...the AC15 is a very nice amp, although you won't get drive out of it at bedroom volumes...
The new AC15(CC1)'s have master volume - I have one and it sounds great, although imo the reverb is pretty lame.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Ah I was forgetting all about the Blues Junior! The trem is something I can go without built into the amp, I can always get a cheap behringer pedal or something if I'm desperate for it at home. That's actually way more in my price range than the vox too....

Sonds kool, I'll probably try em both out later today.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

In the States the Blues Junior is a good deal - Fender amps over here are tres pricey. Let us know how you get on...
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Mike wrote:In the States the Blues Junior is a good deal - Fender amps over here are tres pricey. Let us know how you get on...
I imagine that's how it is with Orange and Vox over here in the states. The newest version of the AC15 is $600 and the Orange is $550 just for the head alone. The Blues Jr at $400 would certainly save me some bucks (not to mention my employee discount and all :D )
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Unfortunately Orange is very expensive here also, but we get good deals on Marshall and Vox if you shop at the right stores.

Gareth in my band has fallen in love with his Tiny Terror and wants an Orange AD30 to replace his TSL601 which he is not too keen on. It's like a grand. Mental.

It is a lovely two channel orange combo though with either channel capable of being crystal clean, crunchy or full bore overdriven.