Remastering question

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

mezzio13
GOODmin

Remastering question

Post by mezzio13 »

I have an old cassette tape of a couple shows that I played 20 years ago. I want to hop them up a little bit, and try to bring out teh tonez/mojozorz. I was thinking of dunping it into my software, copying the track and eq'ing it to bring out the most for each inst (one for guit, one for drums, one for vox, etc.). Any one have any suggestions as to whether this will work or if there is a software package strictly for this sort of tom foolery?
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

I did that when I got the recordings of a show I did. Just threw the mp3 into Fruity Loops and made the best of it with EQ and Compression.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
zoinks

Post by zoinks »

yeah fruity loops pretty much is awesome if you know how to use it right.
benjamin franklin is a terrorist who hates us for our freedom. also, he tried to buy yellow cake in niger
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Is it a 4 track cassette with the instruments still seperated? If it's not, and you're dealing with a mix already (which it sounds like you are), treat it as that and don't try and bring out individual elements. If you do, you'll find you create an unnatural sounding mix, and create problems in the other instruments when you fix the ones you're focusing on.

There are VST plugins designed for mastering, but really any audio editing software should do you fine.
Shabba.
mezzio13
GOODmin

Post by mezzio13 »

Mercy Buckets Guys!
vivadeluxxe

Post by vivadeluxxe »

T-Racks is a great peice of mastering software. You don't really need to know that much about mastering with it, as it has loads of pre-sets for all types of situations...
Personally, I just use an EQ and a compressor/limiter tho...
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

bob wrote:Is it a 4 track cassette with the instruments still seperated? If it's not, and you're dealing with a mix already (which it sounds like you are), treat it as that and don't try and bring out individual elements. If you do, you'll find you create an unnatural sounding mix, and create problems in the other instruments when you fix the ones you're focusing on.

There are VST plugins designed for mastering, but really any audio editing software should do you fine.
+1

i did that with an old cassette tape of another band from ages ago. it's best just to eq it to the best sounding mix you can. on the plus side, though, you now have a digital copy that won't lose quality over time like tapes do.