snare problem?

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

Radio friendly

snare problem?

Post by Radio friendly »

dont know if its my head or something but my snare sounds so american revolutionary snare sounding for like drum lines, im trying to go for this kind of sound and i dont know if its the tuning or the snare wire tension or whatever/
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

No Kurdtz, just Grohlz?
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Doog
mid-century modem

Re: snare problem?

Post by Doog »

Radio friendly wrote:dont know if its my head or something but my snare sounds so american revolutionary snare sounding for like drum lines,
Like a marching band snare, or something?
StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

Snares are tuneable with different heads, different snare materials/widths, different tensions on the snareline, different shell size/depth/material.

Typically if you'd want a marching drum sound, you'd want as physically large a snare drum as you could find, and tighten it as tight as it could go. But, keep in mind, that the "marching band snare sound" is the sound of multiple drums being played almost exactly the same time. It's the difference between a solo singer, and a chorus.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I don't think he wants a marching band kinda snare sound, I was just checking to see that's what he meant by "American revolution snare sound".

Try altering the tuning on the "snare" side of the drum..and the snarewire tightness.
kim
[='ร‚ยฑ'=]

Post by kim »

not only the tension but also experimenting with different drumheads can help you with 'getting the sound', there's drumheads that will give you less or more 'ring'

also depends on the kind of snare you have of course (size/depth/material), i hate piccolo snares, our drummer has one, but i hate it, it's irritating, i like a full snare sound, with almost no sustain/resonance, thinking QOTSA
Radio friendly

Re: snare problem?

Post by Radio friendly »

Doog wrote:
Radio friendly wrote:dont know if its my head or something but my snare sounds so american revolutionary snare sounding for like drum lines,
Like a marching band snare, or something?
yeah
Radio friendly

Post by Radio friendly »

right now i have a Remo Powerstroke 3 and it has a lot of overtones so i put 1 moongel on it. My snare is a steel 14" by 5.5" and it is as snappy as this but im looking for more of this (same as the above one)

PS: i have it at the same pitch but i cant figure out how to make it less snappy. Do i loosen up the snare wire or something?
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

KICK IT'S ASS. GET SOME GRETSCH DRUMSZ.
kim
[='ร‚ยฑ'=]

Post by kim »

steel snares, i always feel like they miss some 'body', compared to (good) wooden snares (maple, mahogany, birch), there's quite a difference in sound....some woods sound warmer and some brighter, you'll never have the transparency of steel drums but the irritating ring will go away.
i'd just go to a store with lots of drum stuff on stock and try them out .
a friend of mine has a 'cheaper' gretsch blackhawk kit..and i like it more than most of the pearls i've heard, even the more 'exspensive' kits, btw
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

EXACTLY.

GRETSCH.

AIRBOURNE

NUFF SAID.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Radio friendly wrote:right now i have a Remo Powerstroke 3 and it has a lot of overtones so i put 1 moongel on it. My snare is a steel 14" by 5.5" and it is as snappy as this but im looking for more of this (same as the above one)

PS: i have it at the same pitch but i cant figure out how to make it less snappy. Do i loosen up the snare wire or something?
Experiment. Loosen it a bit- sound worse? Go back the other way. Ditto the tuning on the bottom head.
StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

Overtones sounds like a poorly tuned resonant head.

Also, remember that recorded drums are often EQ'd, baffled, and tone edited to death. My old band recorded a song where we made my live drums sound like a beatbox drum machine playing on a freeway.