Weirdo pickups

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Doog
mid-century modem

Weirdo pickups

Post by Doog »

http://www.q-tuner.com/

I'm all for better polepiece action, and they look pretty neat... although they wouldn't be amiss in an Anix guitar :shock:
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Bloody hell thats ugly.
Shabba.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

That clip on the site is weird. It sounds like some sort of an electro-acoustic. I guess its a different tone if you're into your electric sounding that pristine or whatever.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

jcyphe wrote:That clip on the site is weird. It sounds like some sort of an electro-acoustic. I guess its a different tone if you're into your electric sounding that pristine or whatever.
Yeah, I thought the same thing, it's definately got a piezo ring to it. Would really like to hear it distorted.. if they're not crazyass prices, I might even put one in a geetar.

edit: bout $120 for a single, $150 for a bucker, buying a set works out cheaper..
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
paul_

Re: Weirdo pickups

Post by paul_ »

Doog wrote: although they wouldn't be amiss in an Anix guitar :shock:
hahaha as it loaded, i thought "what could these things possibly look like for him to say that?" then when the pic came up i almost flinched back from the monitor.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

Wow, those look HORRIBLE.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Looks like they do offer versions that don't look so ghey:

euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
a66jagdream

Post by a66jagdream »

i think they sound terrible, like a cheap acoustic/electric
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

a66jagdream wrote:i think they sound terrible, like a cheap acoustic/electric
I think you are completely wrong, because magnetic electric guitar pickups do not work in the way a piezo or transducer pickup does, and therefore are incapable of making an electric guitar sound acoustic on their own by design.
a66jagdream

Post by a66jagdream »

Nick wrote:
I think you are completely wrong, because magnetic electric guitar pickups do not work in the way a piezo or transducer pickup does, and therefore are incapable of making an electric guitar sound acoustic on their own by design.
they dont have to work like them, they can still sound like them and these things do.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

theshadowofseattle wrote:WOW.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

a66jagdream wrote:
Nick wrote:
they dont have to work like them, they can still sound like them and these things do.
I think I agree with 66dream here.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Transducers and Piezos work by picking up the acoustic vibrations of the instrument, whereas magnetic pickups magnetically pick up the string itself. What I'm saying is it's impossible for it to sound like an electro-acoustic. What you're hearing is one guitar through one amp, with one eq, with one playing style. I highly doubt that's how this thing sounds all the time.

I'd kind of consider this thing if they put up some decent sounding samples with different effects in use.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Nick wrote:Transducers and Piezos work by picking up the acoustic vibrations of the instrument, whereas magnetic pickups magnetically pick up the string itself. What I'm saying is it's impossible for it to sound like an electro-acoustic. What you're hearing is one guitar through one amp, with one eq, with one playing style. I highly doubt that's how this thing sounds all the time.

I'd kind of consider this thing if they put up some decent sounding samples with different effects in use.
Dude, that thing sounds like a piezo with the treble maxed. I know it, you know it, the american people know it.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

It doesn't help that 90% of that sound demo are clean harmonics
a66jagdream

Post by a66jagdream »

i think it sounds terrible and looks worse, so w/e floats your boat.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

They have ones with solid covers....

It's one of those things that's new, so I want to try it to hear for myself. I'm not gonna trust a shit sounding clip. Neodynium magnets are very good in most other applications, it'd be interesting to hear how they sound in a guitar pickup. It might just be a gimmick, who knows, but I'm not going to dismiss it as easily as youse guys.
a66jagdream

Post by a66jagdream »

i thought it was a neat idea, but the sound samples put me off.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Do you play like the sound samples? Does anyone?

Do they think the only people who buy pickups are beginner new-age jazz players who do too many harmonics?

The sound samples are terrible. Nuff said. But someone could make any pickups sound bad with a sample by playing like that.
a66jagdream

Post by a66jagdream »

Nick wrote:Do you play like the sound samples? Does anyone?

Do they think the only people who buy pickups are beginner new-age jazz players who do too many harmonics?

The sound samples are terrible. Nuff said. But someone could make any pickups sound bad with a sample by playing like that.

you're missing the point, it doesn't really matter how he plays, the pickup doesn't sound full enough for me.

But hell if you want it buy it, i wasnt tellin you not to, i said "w/e floats your boat"