Guitar bodies.

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

a66jagdream

Guitar bodies.

Post by a66jagdream »

Where is a good place to buy wood for making bodies? i designed this guitar about 4 or 5 years ago and im looking at prices to build it.

Thanks
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

if you want alder or something like that, you'll pay $100+ at stewmac, but, if you'd like to build from poplar, (as I do) I go to a lumber yard (Anawalt Lumber) and buy 20" planks of poplar. I get the 1 3/4"x 10" and the 1 3/4" x 6" and glue them together using Titebond II from Home Depot. I've had great success so far, and spend FAR, FAR, FAR less than $100 per body. Poplar is also fairly easy to worth with and generally comes dry enough to build and paint almost immediately.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

How can you determine dryness?
Yell Like Hell
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

DGNR8 wrote:How can you determine dryness?
If you can't get your finger in the hole, then it's too dry.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

bass wood is ultra cheap as well, you just need to go to a lumber yard and stay away from stewmac and any other online place. unless you go the h ibdon route, they have really nice white mahogny.
basically, what you pay for a body blank, at stew mac, is what you would pay me for a finished body(not painted)
of you just want a body blank i supose i could sell you a piece of bass wood.
just let me know if you are interested.