FAO : Telecaster Folks

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

JordanD

FAO : Telecaster Folks

Post by JordanD »

Okay, so I get a GFS fatbody pickup for my telecaster and a new switch so I can rewire the thing like in the following schematic. I did everything as is in that diagram and when I tried the switching options, they were backwards and had no sound in the middle position. I think I've figured why the switch has no middle position but I cant figure out why its backwards. Turning the switch round is not an option as wires get caught and tangled. I'm really at a loss as to what the hell is going on and any help would be appreciated.

Anyway.... heres the diagram. Wiring
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Uhm, maybe redo the wiring to be opposite of what you have it as now? You probably wired it up with the switch oriented the opposite way (ie from bottom down instead of top down).
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

I assumed it didn't matter way you wired it up as long as it matched how it looked in the diagram. I didn't realise the switch had a top and a bottom. I just laid out my control plate and output jack so it looked exactly like that and got on with it. Cheers Pen, I'll give it ago tomorrow, it's pizza time now.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

1. SEND TELECASTER TO ME
2. I WILL "HAVE A LOOK AT IT"
3. WAIT FOR TELECASTER TO RETURN
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Hrmm. If you laid down your control plate top down so it looked just like that diagram it should be right. I don't know if maybe the switch on yours is rotated, or what. All I can suggest to fix it is to unsolder all wires on the switch, and resolder them to the lugs opposite of how it is now. Say, if you were to number those lugs 1-8 from the top of that diagram, you would put the wire currently on lug 1 on lug 8. And so forth. The problem with some of these diagrams is that they assume a particular type of switch, and not all switches are made the same. For instance, Cowbell sold me a strat switch to put in my knockoff, and I have to draw up the diagram manually because the existing switch is not the same format with the contacts as this new good switch. That might be the problem in this case.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

I see, the thing is, it's a fender switch and that diagram is the same as the fender one bar one earthing point. I'll try your idea tomorrow.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Multimeter FTW
euan
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Ok, then I have no idea why it isn't working as normal, unless the lack of that earthing point is the culprit. What I always do when working with a switching diagram is note what contacts should be made for each position, then I test those positions with a multimeter on those contacts to make certain it is all going to work out. Good luck, and I apologize in advance if my suggestion doesn't work, I'm not 100% certain what the problem is so I can't give a solution with any kind of confidence.
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

It's fine pen, I appreciate the help. It doesn't help I'm completley new to all of this stuff. :oops:
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Sloan wrote:1. SEND TELECASTER TO ME
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

JD wrote:It's fine pen, I appreciate the help. It doesn't help I'm completley new to all of this stuff. :oops:
were new. you've popped your cherry.

giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrllllllllllllllllllll....you'll be a woman...soon.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Sloan wrote:1. SEND TELECASTER TO ME
lozzlezez
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Sublimedo

Post by Sublimedo »

JD wrote:It's fine pen, I appreciate the help. It doesn't help I'm completley new to all of this stuff. :oops:
i had a problem doing esquire wiring on my tele too, i really don't know why, I jus rewired it 3 times and it finally got working. It was probably a cold spot on the soldering or something. Take a pic if you got a good camera,it might help.
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

I just switched where the neck and bridge wires go on the switch around as suggested by my friend's brother. IT FUCKING WORKED :D! This pickup is one loud mo fo and still has that nice tele sound to it. Thanks to everyone who offered help, just need to recieve my neck pickup and shove that in , its playing esquier at the mo as I had a messy " accident" with my neck pup wires :oops: , good job I was gonna replace it if the fatbody was any good eh? :lol:
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

one more joins our team!

good going!

dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

heres a good shot of its awesome ness

dots wrote:incesticide