poly paint?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

poly paint?

Post by Hurb »

if i paint a guitar in my regular paint. then use this clear..

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 4&id=29631

will i be awesome?

actually no thats not my question....

is that poly paint? it says to use just on bare wood, but i could use it like i normally use clear right? and have a harder finish at the end of it. yes?
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

That looks like it may be something similar to the "poly" clear made by minwax, that I used original on both the mustang and the bronco and it peeled off. Believe me, it wasn't an application error either. Product was made for unfinished/stained wood, not to be applied over painted surfaces, but the can said it could be used on painted surfaces, so be careful. See if anyone sells Automotive clear in a can. But I love reranches clear the best, its glossy as hell.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

More Cowbell wrote:That looks like it may be something similar to the "poly" clear made by minwax, that I used original on both the mustang and the bronco and it peeled off. Believe me, it wasn't an application error either. Product was made for unfinished/stained wood, not to be applied over painted surfaces, but the can said it could be used on painted surfaces, so be careful. See if anyone sells Automotive clear in a can. But I love reranches clear the best, its glossy as hell.
ah ok, im happy with the auto clear i use..but in this country it takes ages to dry. and i was thinking poly may be quicker.

but your right it says use on bare wood..so i should just look elseware.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

i just got a stew mac catalog with abuch of stuff that is suposed to supior, don;t know if it is or not tho.