After some dirt pedal inspiration

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Progrockabuse

After some dirt pedal inspiration

Post by Progrockabuse »

Pretty much what it says on thread,

After some inspiration for the drive/dirt section of my board. I’ve been using Marshall in a box type pedals for years but fancy mixing it up.

Ideally something that stacks well with a fuzz face and something that would react well to your picking dynamics, guitar controls.

Not really a metal guy, more like a nice crunch +

Amp will be mainly clean, maybe a little bit of breakup.
Fender Classic Player 60’s Stratocaster>East Coast T1 Tele>
Epiphone Les Paul SL>Ovation 12 String acoustic>Peavey Strat DIY Relic

Marshall Origin 20H>James’s old purple 2x10
Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Re: After some dirt pedal inspiration

Post by benecol »

Rat with the distortion set below ten. A beauty. Buy a Black Secret.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Seconded!
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I have never tried it but Dolamo D-11 Vintage Distortion is considered a killer Rat clone

matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

Think i used to have a rat years ago, got it in a trade I think and never really sat down and messed with it. Think doog made a demo years ago of one for me demonstrating using it as a booster. Got £60 of Amazon vouchers to spend and thinking of some new dirt for the board.

Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I also played with Marshall in a box type pedals extensively about a decade ago, and gigged with a board that was pretty much fuzzes and overdrives. The other drive pedal on my board (apart from an always on Klone at the end of the chain) was a Timmy clone (the Danophobia one), which was very amp like but different in character from the OCD/DLS I also had. Cleaner, maybe more Fenderey? A little brighter and less middy, it always sounded superb. Very dynamic. Remember that thing where you'd played through tiny, cheap amplifiers all through your teenage years, then played with a proper valve amp and realised that you sounded terrible because the amp was so revealing? And all the little fluffs and accidental actions could be heard through the better amp? The Timmy did that to me. Great pedal.

That was a great board and set up. Epiphone Emperor Regent > Saltbooster > Dano Peach Fuzz > OCD/DLS > Timmy > Klone > Fender Champ.

I haven't stacked it with a Fuzz Face, but it stacked well with everything else.

I'm sure you've had one at some point before, though? If not, why not? Given your proclivity towards good sounding drive pedals, it seems like your sort of thing.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

benecol wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:48 pm Rat with the distortion set below ten. A beauty. Buy a Black Secret.
This is the right answer.

I’m also liking the Nobels ODR at the moment, have it as the crunch on the mini board.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

sunshiner wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:18 pm I have never tried it but Dolamo D-11 Vintage Distortion is considered a killer Rat clone
I had one and dug it, but I'm pretty sure they use linear pots rather than log/audio pots, so 75% of the sound happens in 25% of the sweep; kinda annoying. Also, construction is "Happy Meal toy" level, not sure I'd trust the footswitch for long.

To echo Thom, the Nobels OD circuit is a treat too; I had a ODR-S for years (before everyone knew how good they were), and the gain and EQ range made it pure gold. I used it for everything from a middly solo boost to post-hardcore bass guitar dirt. Both the ODR-S and the 'normal', now highly-cloned ODR-1 have a way more natural amp sound, so work well into clean amps without sounding weird like how TS circuits do.
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

Some great recommendations, thanks my dear friends.

Just looking at the nobels, they do the ODR1 mini that can be had quiet cheap so might start there.
Had to upgrade my power supply so I can power the mini vent as it’s 12v and I only had a 9v supply. Hoping to find some dirt pedals that run on 18v to play with that.

Scored a full tone full drive 2 for £50 locally. It’s a non mosfet version, a bit battered but that should be fun to mess with. If not I’ll flip it.

Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
NickS

Post by NickS »

Progrockabuse wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:41 pm
Had to upgrade my power supply so I can power the mini vent as it’s 12v and I only had a 9v supply. Hoping to find some dirt pedals that run on 18v to play with that.
I have more 12V supplies than I know what to do with.
Personal pronouns he/him
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Plug them in, silly.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Ran out of sockets
PSUs.JPG
PSUs.JPG (224.25 KiB) Viewed 170 times
Personal pronouns he/him
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Admittedly I am using this for higher marshall gain at the moment. But it has plenty options on tap.

plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

NickS wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:30 pm Ran out of socketsPSUs.JPG
► Show Spoiler
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Doog wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:57 pm
sunshiner wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:18 pm I have never tried it but Dolamo D-11 Vintage Distortion is considered a killer Rat clone
I had one and dug it, but I'm pretty sure they use linear pots rather than log/audio pots, so 75% of the sound happens in 25% of the sweep; kinda annoying. Also, construction is "Happy Meal toy" level, not sure I'd trust the footswitch for long.
Yeah, sounds about right for that price range. And probably people who put them together don't know why logarithmic pots should be installed instead of linear ones
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

Fulldrive 2 arrived today, so seeing how well it stacks with the FF and as a standalone OD. It’s definitely darker sounding than the mosfet version I had, but I like that as I’m working with single coils. The FM mode is my favourite so far, sounds like it might be one of those always on kinda pedals for a base tone.

Snagged a Ds-1 and a Rat 2 for cheap on reverb, never had a DS-1 but apparently they a pretty good running into a drive pedal or driven amp.
Attachments
IMG_2119.jpeg
IMG_2119.jpeg (2.96 MiB) Viewed 93 times

Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

What kind of tone does the small plastic sow have?
► Show Spoiler
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

plopswagon wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 1:18 pm What kind of tone does the small plastic sow have?
Adds some high end sizzle, though the sow gets PTSD when I mention Battersea power station 😂
Attachments
IMG_2120.jpeg
IMG_2120.jpeg (33.46 KiB) Viewed 78 times

Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Progrockabuse wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:47 am Snagged a Ds-1 and a Rat 2 for cheap on reverb, never had a DS-1 but apparently they a pretty good running into a drive pedal or driven amp.
A DS-1 with the gain low and tone around 10 o’clock into a Rat sounds great imo. Let us know how you get on!
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

If you fancy getting your mids back on the DS-1, there's a super easy mod (clip R17, remove the highpass filter, so no more mid-scoop) that I did do my gf's and it sounds soooo much better. Love a low gain DS-1 for the kinda 'saggy amp fuzz' thing, this just makes it even more amp-y.