Behringer C1 Buzz Fix

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Behringer C1 Buzz Fix

Post by Bacchus »

Not quite sure which is the best forum for this, but hey.

Having borrowed a Behringer B-5 for some vocal recordings, I was impressed with how good it sounded.

I decided to give a C-1 a go. I found a NOS one for (I think) £25 and went for it.

When I got it, I was a little concerned that there was a bit of buzz. I didn't have time to properly listen to it though, so left it as it was.

Today I got a proper look at it, and the buzz is loud enough that it's unusable. I wondered if it was an issue with my cables, but swapped them out and no better. I thought that maybe it's just the nature of the mic, but comparing it to similar gain levels from other mics, the noise is very noticeable.

I googled around, and decided to take it apart, make sure everything is grounded properly and that it's nice and clean.

Taking it apart, I noticed spider webs on the inside, and corrosion on the board. Probably not a big problem, but I cleaned that up first with some contact cleaner and a Q-tip.
► Show Spoiler
Next, the frame is finished in a thick, rubbery black paint. I took the top case (with grills) off the top and removed the finish from the points where the frame screws onto the case.

The case itself is, I'd assume, anodised somethingorother, so there isn't an issue with the finish on that side. But I gave it a clean anyway.
► Show Spoiler
Finally, where the grounding wire screws onto the frame.
► Show Spoiler
Once this was done, I re-assembled and tested it. Below is the result. First half is before the cleanup, second half is after.

Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Re: Behringer C1 Buzz Fix

Post by Gavin »

cool, but from a scientific point of view, you should have made the changes one at a time so that you could isolate the issue. you fucked it. now we'll never know.
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

also, the spider webs will have added a bonus spooky sound that has now been lost
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

A lot of the time when people think they've recorded ghost sounds, it is in fact spiders.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

That's some spectacular work. I would've given up immediately and spent a day kicking myself for having bought "junk". People in the 60s didn't have a fraction of recording tools that we have but it didn't stop them from making great things.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

OH NO! THE MOJO SPIDERS!!!
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

sunshiner wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:35 pm That's some spectacular work. I would've given up immediately and spent a day kicking myself for having bought "junk". People in the 60s didn't have a fraction of recording tools that we have but it didn't stop them from making great things.
These pop up in the local classifieds from time to time for very cheap and I probably should get one and start finally recording something.
NickD

Post by NickD »

sunshiner wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:35 pm That's some spectacular work. I would've given up immediately and spent a day kicking myself for having bought "junk". People in the 60s didn't have a fraction of recording tools that we have but it didn't stop them from making great things.
Rudy Van Gelder recorded and mastered some of the best recorded jazz ever in his parents house, live with only a few mics.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Nice work, PaRo!
Personal pronouns he/him
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

NickD wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:49 am
Rudy Van Gelder recorded and mastered some of the best recorded jazz ever in his parents house, live with only a few mics.
Thanks, Nick. I need to give Gelder a listen