Notched straight edges

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

frettedlefty

Notched straight edges

Post by frettedlefty »

Hey all, got a question for you wonderful people.

For those with notched straight edges who do your own setups, what do you use for your shortscale guitars? I've never owned a notched straight edge for setups (and I've survived) but I'd like to purchase one (or two if needed). I'm seeing the ones that are good for 25.5/24.75 scale lengths. Can they still be used on your 24" scale necks? Or will there have to be a second purchase? What do you personally use?

Any advice/recommendations are appreciated. Thank you!
"Without music, life would be a mistake"
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Re: Notched straight edges

Post by plopswagon »

I haven’t done this but a 25 1/2 inch scale is close enough to 24” scale that you can use a fret scale template to mark out 24” scale frets using the regular 25 1/2” Fender scale starting with the first fret at the nut location. I imagine you can do the same with a notched straight edge.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
frettedlefty

Post by frettedlefty »

plopswagon wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:53 pm I haven’t done this but a 25 1/2 inch scale is close enough to 24” scale that you can use a fret scale template to mark out 24” scale frets using the regular 25 1/2” Fender scale starting with the first fret at the nut location. I imagine you can do the same with a notched straight edge.
Interesting. I'll be buying one for the normal scale sizes for my other guitars anyway so I'll see if that works.
"Without music, life would be a mistake"
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

I have the the 25.5 / 24.75 one and it just about lines up if you move it one fret down.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I'd have thought that was the case. But, and maybe I'm being dense here, is there a reason not to make your own? They seem expensive for what they are.

A fret scale template needs to be accurate, but this is a straight line with notches. I'd be tempted to buy a cheap steel ruler, make markings on it, and spent five minutes filing the notches myself.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Why do you hate Stewart MacDonald’s family? WHY DO YOU WANT THEM TO STARVE TO DEATH?!?!
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

They are rather cheap on Aliexpress and they are made of a much thicker material than your regular steel ruler. Also, in my experience steel rulers from hardware stores aren't often straight. Doesn't mean though that the Aliexpress thing is straight either, might be a piece of junk or might be a bargain.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.