2amp rigs with added bass

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Re: 2amp rigs with added bass

Post by Hurb »

This was practice tonight.

Sounds really great. The vox is punching through. When subs are needed the bass rig comes into its own. Have a gig on Friday so will test it out in a live context and see if I piss off the sound guy.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Nice!
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Hurb wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:34 pmsee if I piss off the sound guy.
A worthy aspiration!
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Was going to place this in the diary thread, but went here instead because I suppose it's sort of related

Had a band practice last night where I didn't use my own amps (a lot of hassle with our new place) and instead used a DSL 40 combo and a 50w Vox Night Train through a Wharfedale 212. Sounded shite.

Like, it sounded alright, but I seriously missed having my Matamp and a 412 on one side and the Jet City on the other. Felt like it lacked balls and size and girth and all that sort of stuff.

I suppose I could have spend more time dialling in EQ to get closer to what I wanted, but I don't think it was ever going to get there.

Next time I could try borrowing a 412 from the studio and putting the Marshall through that, see if that makes a difference.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Maybe it just sounded weedy and inherently not like a 4x12, but it could also have been phasing issue between the 2 amps making it worse; that'll go a long way in sucking the low end out of everything.

Not to completely tenderise the dead horse but the ''turbo-short delay' trick can work wonders, worth a go if you find yourself there again.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Hmmm, maybe, yeah.

Although that goes against my guiding principe that if piles of massive amps aren't doing it for whatever reason, the problem is not enough piles of massive amps and the solution is more piles of massive amps.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

I am going to swap my pedalboard around a bit so I can do the delay trick.

However last night the rig sounded sick at our gig. It ain't half a pain in the arse though carrying the extra amp and cab around.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Bacchus wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:28 am Was going to place this in the diary thread, but went here instead because I suppose it's sort of related

Had a band practice last night where I didn't use my own amps (a lot of hassle with our new place) and instead used a DSL 40 combo and a 50w Vox Night Train through a Wharfedale 212. Sounded shite.

Like, it sounded alright, but I seriously missed having my Matamp and a 412 on one side and the Jet City on the other. Felt like it lacked balls and size and girth and all that sort of stuff.

I suppose I could have spend more time dialling in EQ to get closer to what I wanted, but I don't think it was ever going to get there.

Next time I could try borrowing a 412 from the studio and putting the Marshall through that, see if that makes a difference.
I’m pretty convinced no one can make a DSL 40 w combo sound good if it was anything like the DSL401 I had

Super frustrating amp. Shared EQ and the clean and overdriven channels wanted wildly different settings to sound good

Shite
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I'd spied it as a new addition to the space the last time we practiced. It's brand new, still has the tags on it. I was actually half looking forward to using it.

To be fair, in the amp's defence, I only quickly set up what I thought I wanted (a reasonably thick, bass heavy clean tone to work alongside a brighter amp as one half of a pedal platform). It sounded fine clean without the band, and it sounded fine clean combined with the other amp. It all just felt a bit thin though, with the band.

I reckon I'd enjoy spending half an hour alone with it to play around and get to know it. If I'm doing that, though (booking an hour by myself before everyone else gets there) I'm doing it in the other decent rehearsal space here where they have a JVM410H....
NickD

Post by NickD »

I had a dream last night that I was playing Hurb’s 2 amp rig, but the only thing that would come out of the speakers was the sub effects.

I wonder what that says about my subconscious mind?
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

NickD wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:48 am I had a dream last night that I was playing Hurb’s 2 amp rig, but the only thing that would come out of the speakers was the sub effects.

Was I naked?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Presumably with a crossover and some tweeters, you'd be able to hear your conscious mind?
NickD

Post by NickD »

Hurb wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:26 am
NickD wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:48 am I had a dream last night that I was playing Hurb’s 2 amp rig, but the only thing that would come out of the speakers was the sub effects.

Was I naked?
Of course
Bacchus wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:39 am Presumably with a crossover and some tweeters, you'd be able to hear your conscious mind?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

NickD wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:54 am
Hurb wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:26 am

Was I naked?
Of course

Phew!
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Peanut the Kidnapper indeed
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

I tried the ps-3 as the tiny delay but for some reason I couldn't get it to be in stereo. Both dry and wet were going to both amps. I then tried a Behringer dd6(I think) copy and that had the same issue.
So back to the trusty multistomp and a stereo delay setting. Works a treat. About 40 ms
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Nice! Hopefully made the sound MASSIVE?

No 'wet only' from the DD-6 for sure annoyingly, but with a DD-3/DD-3 copy, you can stick a dummy plug in the DRY OUT to get WET ONLY from the main output, or just use it to actually split the signal too.

ALSO The Mooer REECHO has a dry kill mode, so you could just tag that into an already split signal to save on a bit of space; just before NOFUN-19 hit, I was looking at getting one for the updated Casa board...

40ms was the golden spot for me too; long enough to not be weird and phasey, short enough to not sound like a slapback.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Doog wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:08 am Nice! Hopefully made the sound MASSIVE?

Yeah! Less mush and you can hear the bass like a separate part of the sound if that makes sense. Looking forward to turning up at practice next week.

Really good pro tip.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

I've decided that despite all you haters being wrong about the bass amp...I can't be bothered with lugging it around.

But maybe this is the future?

8)
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

2 AC30s?