Squier VM Jaguar top load bridge any good?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

henkstroem

Squier VM Jaguar top load bridge any good?

Post by henkstroem »

Saw this for sale in Finland, asking €22 shipped.

Is it any good for a musicmaster project or should i look elsewhere? Missed out on the wonderful bridge plate project elsewhere on the forum.

-edit-

Somehow it has a Danelectro-of-Asia vibe. Strange.
Attachments
3A578B9A-2A2B-4286-8E3A-F29611C6D5B6.jpeg
3A578B9A-2A2B-4286-8E3A-F29611C6D5B6.jpeg (247.64 KiB) Viewed 920 times
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Re: Squier VM Jaguar top load bridge any good?

Post by plopswagon »

This?

viewtopic.php?t=70048

I still have ‘em granted I’ve been super flaky about getting Astro his but I can still sell ‘em
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
henkstroem

Post by henkstroem »

plopswagon wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:06 pm This?

http://www.shortscale.org/viewtopic.php?t=70048
Yes. Looks really great, but might not be worth the paperwork and cost to send it here (Finland). If I understand correctly, you are in the US?

It would add up to Bridge $30+Shipping ~$20= $50 x 1,26 vat + 6% customs fee, which would equal around €70 for the plate. Also the paperwork needed for customs is rather mindblowing, they want vat numbers and price estimates and product classification codes for all products that enter customs.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

That could definitely be an issue.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
henkstroem

Post by henkstroem »

plopswagon wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:37 pm That could definitely be an issue.
Gone are the days when I ebayed a Champ from Houston for $200 and it arrived here with cardboard taped on the grillcloth and back, the posting slip glued on the top, in a week. It was not in a box, the handle was visible. Customs emailed payment details, which were covered by the dollar/euro exchange rate.

It even worked fine when I put a fallen tube back in its socket.. :shock:
astro

Post by astro »

plopswagon wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:06 pm I still have ‘em granted I’ve been super flaky about getting Astro his but I can still sell ‘em
Hey, no worries! I know you’re busy, plus it’s the holiday season. So I totally get it if it takes some time.
henkstroem wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:18 pm Saw this for sale in Finland, asking €22 shipped.

Is it any good for a musicmaster project or should i look elsewhere? Missed out on the wonderful bridge plate project elsewhere on the forum.

-edit-

Somehow it has a Danelectro-of-Asia vibe. Strange.
I have a jag with this bridge:

The two screws in the picture you posted need threaded metal inserts in the wood to screw into, similar to a TOM tailpiece. The third screw, not pictured, which anchors the back of the bridge, screws directly into the wood. If you buy the bridge, make sure the seller has also the threaded metal inserts. The third screw can easily be replaced with an appropriate wood screw so don’t worry if the seller does not have that one.

The bridge, although often maligned by some, actually works quite well, and is solid. It just isn’t “vintage correct” for a fender. Note that the bridge plate does not lie flat against the body, the two front posts are raised, so the plate actually sits at an elevated angle. If you want a musicmaster style bridge with 6 saddles, you can still easily find new Toronado bridges for sale, the only thing with those is that they need the body to be drilled so that the strings anchor through the body. I don’t think you can top mount the strings on the Toronado bridge.
henkstroem

Post by henkstroem »

Thanks!
astro wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:23 pm
The two screws in the picture you posted need threaded metal inserts in the wood to screw into, similar to a TOM tailpiece. The third screw, not pictured, which anchors the back of the bridge, screws directly into the wood.
So it is sort-of gibsony danelectro technology! Amazing how Fender came up with this solution.