Epiphone Valve Jnr repair

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Re: Epiphone Valve Jnr repair

Post by Gavin »

Yeah, I just reassembled my jack plate and plugged into the Valve Jnr and it does still buzz / hum a bit but I think that's at the aforementioned amp problem. Same hum when no guitar plugged in. So, a bunch of contact cleaner did the trick. With a little help from my friend Baron Wiggle dé Wiggle.

Also, the Valve Jnr sounds great. Def not getting a modern practice amp anytime soon.
NickD

Post by NickD »

All this talk of IPA in the pots - is this “pour beer on it” in action?
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

:lol:
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

My amps prefer a crisp saison.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

DeoxIT D5 (specifically D5S-6) should be fine to use on pots. DeoxIT seem to think so, though some guys on guitar forums sometimes say it's still bad. It's a lubricating contact cleaner; most aren't and that tends to be the problem with using them on pots as they will dry out any grease or lube in the pot, which can lead to damage or seizing up down the line.
I actually just gave the master volume on my '70s Bassman Ten a couple shots of deoxIT D5 before I read this thread the first time earlier today. Now I only have to worry about those slightly-iffy-looking 50-year-old RCA preamp tubes, the 2-prong mains and the deathcap. We're slowly getting there.

Did not find any dead mice in it, and the tolex under the chassis straps looked so clean it made me laugh. Sounds louder and better than I remember since cleaning the vol pot too, I wonder if I was even truly on the dial where I thought I was before. So, net positive.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"